Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #61
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
I think a lot of what we also hear as far as problems with a near stock car comes from forum opinion which is generally garbage. My car is near stock and has 26k miles on it. Runs like a champ, had zero problem with both the engine and tranny (Knocks on wood)

I agree with the perspective thing. But the folks out at Coit are also in their own league of fast. You want slow i'll let you drive my wife's Altima
Danny's (46tbird) car was completely stock with a stock tune and ate a motor. It has and still does happen regardless if you believe it or not.

My car runs great too and hasn't given me any problems. But that doesn't mean I'm not apprehensive about heavily modifying it because the motor is "iffy". Almost anyone who modifies one of these cars knows they are taking a chance and most likely will have to build a motor as some point. As car guys, that is just the chances we take. It's part of the hobby.

As for the DR/Coit group whatever you want to call it, that is Texas racing scene for you. There are so many 1000rw+ cars running around Texas it's absurd. The Coit meet just happens to be where all the fast cars have gathered for years because I have known all those guys for a long time, some of them since the mid 90's.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #62
Dan12GT

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
What is affordable is relative. A lot of people can't afford a new Stang now because the prices keep creeping up. Some CS GT's were even approaching the $40k mark at one point. A Roush Mustang can easily go over $60k. Your argument is out the window now on Mustangs and pricing.

A very low mileage LS3 08-11 Vette can be bought for what a lot of Premium and CS buyers were paying for their cars. Grandsports are barely a little bit more and Z06's can be bought for low 40's. It's a fair comparison. Good luck buying a 13 GT500 for anything less than $55k.
LOL! You are comparing new to used vehicles. A new vette is borderline 60k!

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #63
Grandpa
I> /\/\

LOL! You are comparing new to used vehicles. A new vette is borderline 60k!
You're missing my point. Forget it.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #64
Dan12GT

Your point doesn't make sense. Ya ya cost is relevant but when you look at the COST of all other sports cars, mustangs are on the lower end for a reason, to be a more affordable car while still retaining some fun factor.

Cars like Vettes are 2 seaters made with one plan in mind, going fast. There is nothing practical about them and they are essentially toys. Thus why their price tag is generally higher for a much more aggressive / faster car. Building a car like that takes more engineering, more development, more expensive parts, etc. making the car MORE expensive.

I wanted a brand new fun car yet also somewhat practical car and thats what I got with my Mustang. I could almost buy two of my cars if I went and bought a brand new Vette. That point is what most of if not all of us Mustang owners share.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #65
Dan12GT

And don't get me wrong I'd love to have a c6 Z06 and I agree its a hell of a lot more car than the mustang or even the GT500 but its not practical for me right now, the Mustang is.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #66
DirtyD

Danny's (46tbird) car was completely stock with a stock tune and ate a motor. It has and still does happen regardless if you believe it or not.
Brandon's car also ate a stock motor out of nowhere.

You're missing my point. Forget it.
Steve has thus spoken!
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #67
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Your point doesn't make sense. Ya ya cost is relevant but when you look at the COST of all other sports cars, mustangs are on the lower end for a reason, to be a more affordable car while still retaining some fun factor.

Cars like Vettes are 2 seaters made with one plan in mind, going fast. There is nothing practical about them and they are essentially toys. Thus why their price tag is generally higher for a much more aggressive / faster car. Building a car like that takes more engineering, more development, more expensive parts, etc. making the car MORE expensive.

I wanted a brand new fun car yet also somewhat practical car and thats what I got with my Mustang. I could almost buy two of my cars if I went and bought a brand new Vette. That point is what most of if not all of us Mustang owners share.
That makes sense from YOUR perspective. But I don't share that one and some others don't as well. Not everyone daily drives these things. The car is a TOY for me and does not get daily driving duties. I'm simply speaking from a great bang for the buck, going fast, having fun with car. Not a daily commuter. I learned LONG ago you should never heavily modify your daily driver that you depend on to get to and from work.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #68
Dan12GT

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post

Steve has thus spoken!
Its a massively produced product, not everything is ever perfect everytime. Us as car guys should know that this is something that can happen regardless of what car it is.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #69
Dan12GT

That makes sense from YOUR perspective. But I don't share that one and some others don't as well. Not everyone daily drives these things. The car is a TOY for me and does not get daily driving duties. I'm simply speaking from a great bang for the buck, going fast, having fun with car. Not a daily commuter. I learned LONG ago you should never heavily modify your daily driver that you depend on to get to and from work.
Agreed there and thus why mine doesn't really have anything done to it. I understand your perspective. If you have a car as a Toy only basis I get the bang for the buck perspective. If I could ever swing a Toy only car too I might not own a Mustang if going fast was the only thing on my mind.

Or maybe i'd build mine out and eat vettes

Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #70
Grandpa
I> /\/\

And don't get me wrong I'd love to have a c6 Z06 and I agree its a hell of a lot more car than the mustang or even the GT500 but its not practical for me right now, the Mustang is.

ARRRGGGGGGG!!!!!! Dammit lol.

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post

Steve has thus spoken!
Some people are just so hardheaded on this subject and argue from the point of being defensive and take what I'm saying as bashing. I'm not, I OWN ONE TOO!

The Mustang GT is a great entry level sports car that makes decent power. Is it ideal for going "fast"? No. But it can make enough power to be fun to drive, but in the car local car scene a Mustang GT is NOT competitive with the fast group. That's not saying it's a POS car.

If going fast is what one wants, there are better options out there and better bang for the buck. The Mustang is still cool and a fun car to drive but I'm not expecting to win a lot of races with it outside of the Mustang scene.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #71
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Agreed there and thus why mine doesn't really have anything done to it. I understand your perspective. If you have a car as a Toy only basis I get the bang for the buck perspective. If I could ever swing a Toy only car too I might not own a Mustang if going fast was the only thing on my mind.

Or maybe i'd build mine out and eat vettes
LOL, that is all I'm saying and you're grilling me for not being one of those people that think the 5.0 is the end all be all cars! Damn. I like my car, I just happen to think it's a turd. Haha.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #72
Dan12GT

LOL, that is all I'm saying and you're grilling me for not being one of those people that think the 5.0 is the end all be all cars! Damn. I like my car, I just happen to think it's a turd. Haha.
I'd hardly say I am grilling you. I am just saying your arguments always end comparing two very unlinke cars calling the Mustang a slow turd which I don't think it is. The mustang GT in stock form can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds and 160 ish top speed. Which in the normal public's eye is pretty fast, which IS the market for mustangs. I do not at all think the 5.0 is a end all be all either. I'm saying its great for what it is designed to market with and Ford has really stepped up their game with the Mustang.

Yes grill me all you want on that statement too but when it comes down to it there is always something faster. Are you just going to call everything slow until you are the fastest possible? I'm sure once you own that Vette you will say its a slow POF until you can own a GT-R or a lambo or something....

Also, I did't buy my car to be competitive in the car scene, I couldn't give two shits about it. Most again who buy a Mustang feel the same way. Not everybody who owns a Mustang is a DFW5.0s member. I just like associating with people that enjoy cars of all types.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #73
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I'd hardly say I am grilling you. I am just saying your arguments always end comparing two very unlinke cars calling the Mustang a slow turd which I don't think it is. The mustang GT in stock form can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds and 160 ish top speed. Which in the normal public's eye is pretty fast, which IS the market for mustangs. I do not at all think the 5.0 is a end all be all either. I'm saying its great for what it is designed to market with and Ford has really stepped up their game with the Mustang.

Yes grill me all you want on that statement too but when it comes down to it there is always something faster. Are you just going to call everything slow until you are the fastest possible? I'm sure once you own that Vette you will say its a slow POF until you can own a GT-R or a lambo or something....

Also, I did't buy my car to be competitive in the car scene, I couldn't give two shits about it. Most again who buy a Mustang feel the same way. Not everybody who owns a Mustang is a DFW5.0s member. I just like associating with people that enjoy cars of all types.
This is the car scene/hobby. Most here modify their cars to add more power to have fun with, to be competitive etc. This is NOT the general market.

Yes, there is always someone faster because there is always someone willing to spend more. That is true. But that doesn't mean there isn't better options out there for the money, but that doesn't mean isn't a good option either. Whatever suits your needs/wants is what is comes down to. You have no need/want for a "fast" car, or so you say.

"Will I call everything slow until I'm the fastest possible?" Of course not, I just have a solid perspective of what is competitive and fast out there right now. Would a bolt on Z06 win every race out there? Of course not, but it will win a lot more races than it will lose, can't say the same thing about a bolt on Mustang GT. A full bolt-on blown Boss or a KB/Whipple'd 13 gt500 would be better options if one was a diehard brand loyal Ford guy. I'm not, I'm a car guy who loves anything with power and that handles great. I just happen to be a long Mustang guy for awhile now.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #74
BERT
I love tube socks

I think it's funny when someone has a different opinion than Steve, he writes a small novel in his next post lol
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #75
BERT
I love tube socks

Oh and on the price thing. It's easier(for me at least) to go out and buy a brand new car at 30K than to buy an '08 vetter for 30K. Which really sucks
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote