Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
03cobrarocks

Default When to change gears?

I have never really put much thought into this but when should someone think about changing gears?

I know power, transmission gears, how tall of a tire you want to run, and what you want out of the car matter but what is the biggest decision maker?

I am just wondering if its time for me to step down to 3.55s or something I mean my third gear seems ridiculous short (I know that has mostly to do with tranny but meh)

Plus I use to get awesome traction with crappo 315 drs like when I was at 500ish hp.... I know I am going to try better tires first

I have 3.73s now and am wondering when is the time to change?

Stroked/Built Motor, Cams and Heads, Posi Port, Full Exhaust, Jlt High Boost Intake, Return Fuel System, Upr K, Steeda Tri-ax, Built Solid with 3.73s, and bunch of other nonsense. 585/580
03cobrarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
STROKD
Old School

Originally Posted by 03cobrarocks View Post
I have never really put much thought into this but when should someone think about changing gears?

I know power, transmission gears, how tall of a tire you want to run, and what you want out of the car matter but what is the biggest decision maker?

I am just wondering if its time for me to step down to 3.55s or something I mean my third gear seems ridiculous short (I know that has mostly to do with tranny but meh)

Plus I use to get awesome traction with crappo 315 drs like when I was at 500ish hp.... I know I am going to try better tires first

I have 3.73s now and am wondering when is the time to change?
There is no real set time to change, you want as little gear as the car needs to pull its full power curve. dropping off the curve is bad. Since you have a Terminator, it has a very broad power curve, so it needs less gear to accelerate.

On my centri 408 in my old fox, I picked up 2 mph and dropped a tenth going from 3.73s to 3.55s... I may or may not go to a 3.27 when the car is completed due to it having a much higher rev limit than it used to 8,200 vs 7,100 before, but I defintely won't be going back to a shorter gear, thats for sure.

That said, having a lot of gear if you can put it to the ground is great... just sucks when you go up in smoke on the street on a normal tire. Rule of thumb is crossing at your hp peak in 1-1 gear which would be 4th for you at the traps in the quarter mile...
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Emwun Garand

I put 3.31's in my Cobra when I put the twin screw on. Honestly, I wish I went with 3.27's or lower even.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
03cobrarocks

Thanks for the explanation strokd never really talked to anyone in depth about it just new n/a gts and mach 1s loved 4.10s and turbo cars loved 3.27s or so with a t56.

Emwun how much power you making? I wonder if 3.31s would be to little of gear for my combo...

Stroked/Built Motor, Cams and Heads, Posi Port, Full Exhaust, Jlt High Boost Intake, Return Fuel System, Upr K, Steeda Tri-ax, Built Solid with 3.73s, and bunch of other nonsense. 585/580
03cobrarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
STROKD
Old School

Originally Posted by 03cobrarocks View Post
Thanks for the explanation strokd never really talked to anyone in depth about it just new n/a gts and mach 1s loved 4.10s and turbo cars loved 3.27s or so with a t56.

Emwun how much power you making? I wonder if 3.31s would be to little of gear for my combo...
He puts down a little over 800...
Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Emwun Garand

There honestly isn't too big of a difference between 3.31's and the stock 3.55's. I noticed a difference, but I should have gone with a longer gear.

If you have a built/stroked motor, heads/cams, and are going twin screw, I would go with 3.31's or 3.27's if you're looking for a highway car. You will have more than enough power to move the car. If you're looking for a track beast, 3.55's would be good. There's guys in the 9's on stock 3.55's.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Grandpa
I> /\/\

If you are thinking about a turbo set up, you will want/need at least a 3.27 or even a 3.08 gear.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Slow6

We just switched mine from 3.55 to 3.31 rears. Will help alot to keep in the boost during shifts and alow more time in the powerband. Should help alot compared to the 3.55. Maybe one day Ill get it back from the shop and can drive it for a day or two before it gets cold.

No mods just stock. Trust me its slow.
Slow6 is offline   Reply With Quote