Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:09 AM   #151
OG Fox
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
Yes auto is the way to go for the track but it isn't as fun as the manual on the streets. So since my car sits in the shop 99% of the time the stick is the only way I will go.
fixed that for you...
OG Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #152
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by OG Fox View Post
fixed that for you...
Dick it hasn't been to TS since I switch back to e85.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #153
Oxford14Stang

Originally Posted by OG Fox View Post
fixed that for you...

Ahh haha that was bound to happen.

Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #154
Oxford14Stang

Dick it hasn't been to TS since I switch back to e85.
Damn off to a great start with the name calling. Let's just stop it here. Glad you got your car running right. Plan on making any trips to the track before Oct. 5? Your going to be competing arnt you?

Old 09-16-2013, 02:14 AM   #155
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang View Post
Damn off to a great start with the name calling. Let's just stop it here. Glad you got your car running right. Plan on making any trips to the track before Oct. 5? Your going to be competing arnt you?
I'm not going to be there. Taking a family trip.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #156
Oxford14Stang

Ah okay.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #157
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Yes auto is the way to go for the track but it isn't as fun as the manual on the streets. So since my car see the streets 99% of the time the stick is the only way I will go.
I agree.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #158
Rebelracer568

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
The Cobra Jets are also NOT running the 6R80. They come with the good old C4 3 speed auto, straight out of the 60's and 70's. There's also a 2 speed option they're calling a C2, but I'm betting it's just an updated version of the old Powerglide.
Yea there using a c4 and a power glide just call it something weird. I was just utilizing the cobra jet to make a point the autos are faster on track than sticks. I drag race only manual cars cause I love the challenge and fun they offer. But if I wanna go fast especially with a power adder auto is the way to go. But ill stick to my jericos and mt82 till it blows. Heck I still have road race cars with t-5s in em. I worry everytime I race that it will break. I shattered every gear in one once. Think 500hp was to much lol

Last edited by Rebelracer568; 09-16-2013 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typing error
Rebelracer568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #159
Yagermeister

I talked to the Cobra Jet engineers when I was at Watson Racing and they use a C3 prepared by Joel's on Joy a local race trans shop in MI. They chose it because of one main reason...quick access to replacement parts. When you are racing at the level the CJ's race on, you are generally checking/replacing/modifying parts on the car all the time and need quick access to parts. I'd venture to say most transmissions in 6-9sec cars (in the 1/4 mile) are autos of some sort due to consistency and needing two hands on the wheel
Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #160
Rebelracer568

Originally Posted by Yagermeister View Post
I talked to the Cobra Jet engineers when I was at Watson Racing and they use a C3 prepared by Joel's on Joy a local race trans shop in MI. They chose it because of one main reason...quick access to replacement parts. When you are racing at the level the CJ's race on, you are generally checking/replacing/modifying parts on the car all the time and need quick access to parts. I'd venture to say most transmissions in 6-9sec cars (in the 1/4 mile) are autos of some sort due to consistency and needing two hands on the wheel
Unless your a pro stock driver lol. But yes sir your are correct most cars in that range are autos. Seldon you see a car that quick that's a manual
Rebelracer568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #161
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by Rebelracer568 View Post
Unless your a pro stock driver lol. But yes sir your are correct most cars in that range are autos. Seldon you see a car that quick that's a manual
Only cars I see that do that are MK4 Supras. Which is weird because Getrag made those transmissions as well as the manual transmissions in our cars but in the Supras they can support 1,000rwhp without mods. Plenty of those guys running tons of power without transmission or rear ends breaking.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #162
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
Only cars I see that do that are MK4 Supras. Which is weird because Getrag made those transmissions as well as the manual transmissions in our cars but in the Supras they can support 1,000rwhp without mods. Plenty of those guys running tons of power without transmission or rear ends breaking.

-Alex
As said many times before, the remote mount shifter on these trans is the retarded part. I've not known a 1000whp Supra to know have a built or slightly built trans though. Just no way I can see a factory production trans holding up to that in any vehicle.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #163
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Yagermeister View Post
And also because they don't shock the tires anywhere near as hard as a manual car does allowing it to be much more settled going down the track.

Regardless, this conversation has gotten retarded. It only applies to the people building a purpose built, point and shoot track car. There are still a lot of people out there who still like rowing gears taking up the challenge to add the driver equation to the mix to get the car down the track.

Personally, I find driving a car like Brent's boring as hell to drive. It's just not my personal thing. While it puts up great numbers at the track, when driving a car like that it's pretty boring and uneventful. Set the air pressure, stage it, load the suspension, hit a good light and let it fly. Not much to it. No drivers skill to it after the light turns green, not much of a challenge at all. I prefer to row gears, improve my technique and being more connected to the car to enjoy the expierence.

Again, like I said before, we are doing the same things here, just going different ways about it. It all comes down to personal preference and how a car is going to be used. Auto/manual both have their positives and negatives.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #164
re-rx7
Banned

The v160 in the supra def holds a 1000whp untouched.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #165
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
As said many times before, the remote mount shifter on these trans is the retarded part. I've not known a 1000whp Supra to know have a built or slightly built trans though. Just no way I can see a factory production trans holding up to that in any vehicle.
Will had the stock one in his car making well over 1200rw powershifting the fuck out of it and it lived for much longer than ANY Ford/GM manual he's ever had. No one has killed more transmissions than him. I think his last count was around 30 T56's alone.