Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
JDMLOL

Default Shifting at high rpm

Ok. This is such a newb basic question... Ive driven this particular car since march. What's the trick to smooth, spirited driving? I just cant seem to figure this car out. I can shift smooth all day as long as I spend 5 seconds letting the clutch out between gears. I always thought the clutch was supposed to be all the way out before getting on the gas. Are you guys overlapping and slipping the clutch at high rpms? I know im hard as hell on the driveline when I try to do it fast.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS

Last edited by JDMLOL; 06-03-2013 at 08:36 PM.
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Midnight11
El Presidente

its the stock shifter...

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
JDMLOL

Default Re: Shifting at high rpm

Originally Posted by Midnight11 View Post
its the stock shifter...
Which one is the one everyone uses the barton or mgw? I've heard yall say good things about both if I remember right.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Midnight11
El Presidente

mgw

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
JDMLOL

mgw
Where are yall buying them from? Pulled up lmr and they don't carry them and then went the mgw website and it says 2010+, is that right? The trans is different on a 2010...

The Queen:
Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
JDMLOL

Nvm, wasn't looking in the right place.

The Queen:
Old 06-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Grandpa
I> /\/\

its the stock shifter...
THIS, trust me on this. lol

mgw
Agreed. I just recently got the MGW and it's a night and day difference. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
Where are yall buying them from? Pulled up lmr and they don't carry them and then went the mgw website and it says 2010+, is that right? The trans is different on a 2010...
I got mine from TrueStreet. They just happened to have one in stock that another customer did not pick up. Toby installed it for me and set it to the way I like it. Shifts smooth as butter now.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
THIS, trust me on this. lol
I guess this will be next then. Shifting is very rough for me unless I release the clutch extremely slow.

The Queen:
Old 06-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
I guess this will be next then. Shifting is very rough for me unless I release the clutch extremely slow.
You could also consider changing your transmission fluid. That has seemed to help some people with their shifting issues. I haven't had to do this, but some others have.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Dan12GT

I need to see what the MGW hype is all about.

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
jng2985

barton bracket alone cleaned up 2-6, fluid fixed 1-2.. Only reason I'm still going with barton S.T. is because even with long arms 5th still seems far away "without setting the seat to weiner position".

Just do it and dont look back, well worth it!
jng2985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
Phuck Phace
My Stapler!

Default Shifting at high rpm

Mgw ftw

2012 GT/CS
93 Cobra
Phuck Phace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #13
Toby

Let us know at truestreet when you are ready! We try and keep at least one in stock but they can be hard to get ahold of. Mgw only has them made in batches so when they run out, it can be a month before they restock so let us know ahead of time so we can ensure there is one on hand!
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Let us know at truestreet when you are ready! We try and keep at least one in stock but they can be hard to get ahold of. Mgw only has them made in batches so when they run out, it can be a month before they restock so let us know ahead of time so we can ensure there is one on hand!
Yeah, when I called there was a five week wait still.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by jng2985 View Post
barton bracket alone cleaned up 2-6, fluid fixed 1-2.. Only reason I'm still going with barton S.T. is because even with long arms 5th still seems far away "without setting the seat to weiner position".

Just do it and dont look back, well worth it!
What fluid are you going with?

Im surprised to hear that a short throw and fluid helps smooth the shifting. I figured people were going to say "learn to drive" or "practice" like other guys said on other forums (about other cars) when I googled "smooth shifting" lol.

I mean I've been daily driving a standard for 18 months, I know some of you guys on this forum have been daily driving them for longer than I've been alive, but I would figure by now I would be able to drive this thing a little better when I "get it."

The Queen: