Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #46
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Thread derail
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #47
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
Thread derail
LOL, nothing new. Doesn't seem too many have raced Terminators anyways. I think most Terminators now are either huge clapped out pieces of shit, or garage queens that just go to car shows.

Man, back in 05-06 the Friday night meet looked like a Ford dealership with all the Terminators (kinda like it does now with all the 5.0's lol) in the lot and a majority of them were all twinscrew cars making 600-800rw.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #48
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Considering the performance of what the car is capable of and what they originally stickered for they are smoking deals. I guess it's hard to understand for the people who have never driven one, but once you have you will get it.

Yeah, the parts prices on these cars are fucking absurd. The Coyote tax on parts seems VERY similar to that of the famous "vette tax" on parts. haha.

I disagree on your second part. I've had several boosted cars over the years and only one of them was "built" from the factory for it.

My 93 Cobra was a stock block car and made 540rw with a Vortech S-trim. Any foxbody guy will tell you that anything over 400rw on a fox is pushing the limits of the factory block to split it right down the main valley. I had the car like that over 5 years and was still running strong the day I sold it.

It's all in how you treat a car. Keep the tune on it good, maintain it properly with good/regular oil/plug changes, drive it like a sane person not beating on it on the rev-limiter at every opportunity and the car can live a long happy life beyond what conventional internet so sayers claim.

The problem these days lies in that its SO easy to make power. A simple pulley/tune change and it's easy power. Add to that the competition is so high out there these days it's crazy easy to get carried away to get caught up in the HP wars. Factory cars are faster than ever and it's super easy to make them even faster. The hardest part of the whole hobby is restraining oneself.
You basically disagreed with, then agreed with my assessment. Just because you tune a car for 600hp doesn't mean it is necessarily built FOR that power.

Can you push 600hp from a Honda Civic? Sure. Will it do that reliably for years? Nope. When I say built for a specific power level, I mean just that. Able to handle it day in and day out without having to rebuild the motor every few thousand miles.

A factory built blown engine is far more safe to build for big boost applications. Look at a 2JZ GTE Toyota engine. That thing was built to survive terror for ever. Iron block, forged crank, rods, pistons, heads that flow incredibly. People have tripled the power on that engine and can drive it reliably for years with 900hp. A 600hp car that was originally NA HAS to be pampered all day. If you have to use it gingerly if you want it to last.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #49
Dominic Toretto

Thread derail
Back on track.

No I have not raced Arnold.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 11-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #50
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
You basically disagreed with, then agreed with my assessment. Just because you tune a car for 600hp doesn't mean it is necessarily built FOR that power.

Can you push 600hp from a Honda Civic? Sure. Will it do that reliably for years? Nope. When I say built for a specific power level, I mean just that. Able to handle it day in and day out without having to rebuild the motor every few thousand miles.

A factory built blown engine is far more safe to build for big boost applications. Look at a 2JZ GTE Toyota engine. That thing was built to survive terror for ever. Iron block, forged crank, rods, pistons, heads that flow incredibly. People have tripled the power on that engine and can drive it reliably for years with 900hp. A 600hp car that was originally NA HAS to be pampered all day. If you have to use it gingerly if you want it to last.

-Alex
I'll agree with that for the most part.

But as I said, even a car built for it, will die just as fast with a bad tune/gas or if it's beat relentlessly.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #51
Dominic Toretto

But as I said, even a car built for it, will die just as fast with a bad tune/gas or if it's beat relentlessly.
Never disagreed with that

-Alex

Old 11-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #52
Phuck Phace
My Stapler!

I'll sell you a built car, I'm moving up into imports with a DelSol or CRX.

2012 GT/CS
93 Cobra
Phuck Phace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #53
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

I would never advise anyone on buying a salvaged Vette of any kind, let alone a Z06 that has an aluminum frame.

That being said, a 600rw Z06 is a fast car. It would take a Mustang an extra 150-175rw more than the Z06 to hang. How many 775rw 5.0's are out there to handle that? Not many!
*cough* * cough*
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #54
Grandpa
I> /\/\

*cough* * cough*
*cough* 25 seconds et *cough*
Old 11-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #55
Dan12GT

The joke was actually on us 5.0 owners when we were given the glass motors/manuals transmissions while the rest of Stangers got a much better motor! lmao.
The motor is far from glass and far from slow. Especially considering the huge horse power leap they made just from the previous year model. I think too the Coyotes have proved to be able to handle a good amount of extra power as well.

The Terminator motor is in a league of its own. I don't even think its comparable to compare the Terminator the the Coyote, rather best to compare the Roadrunner to the Terminator, in that case they are on even planes.

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #56
Dan12GT

BTW Steve your arguments always end in you comparing a Vette to a Mustang which should never be unless MAYBE a gt500 which again is still a big heavy mustang. The Mustang from its birth was designed to be a cheap affordable and practical fun car. Vettes are only 1 part of that, (fun)

Old 11-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #57
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
BTW Steve your arguments always end in you comparing a Vette to a Mustang which should never be unless MAYBE a gt500 which again is still a big heavy mustang. The Mustang from its birth was designed to be a cheap affordable and practical fun car. Vettes are only 1 part of that, (fun)
My C5 was all of the above for over 5 years. Just sayin

-Alex

Old 11-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #58
Grandpa
I> /\/\

The motor is far from glass and far from slow. Especially considering the huge horse power leap they made just from the previous year model. I think too the Coyotes have proved to be able to handle a good amount of extra power as well.

The Terminator motor is in a league of its own. I don't even think its comparable to compare the Terminator the the Coyote, rather best to compare the Roadrunner to the Terminator, in that case they are on even planes.
I disagree on the glass part. I don't think anyone hear can say that have full confidence or don't have some kind of apprehensiveness about the stock motors. Too many people have busted a stock or near stock motor to say otherwise.

I'll agree with you this much, the GT makes great power for being an entry level sports car. What is "fast" is a matter of opinion and perspective based on ones previous experience. If you haven't had anything with more power before, then I could see how someone could say they are fast cars. But to those of us who have had faster cars previously and/or been around the scene for awhile know that these cars aren't competitive with the "fast" crowd around North Texas. For anyone with a 5.0 who thinks otherwise, by all means come out to a Friday night meet someone with the DR crew and give it a go. I can assure you that your perspective will change.

As for the topic - I agree with you that it's a more fair comparison of the Roadrunner vs Terminator than it is against the Coyote since the Roadrunner is forged and the Coyote is not.

I like Terminators, I think they are fun as hell to drive with a twinscrew. That being said, compared to the new motors, the Terminators are FAR less efficient needing a LOT of air to make big power.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #59
Dan12GT

I disagree on the glass part. I don't think anyone hear can say that have full confidence or don't have some kind of apprehensiveness about the stock motors. Too many people have busted a stock or near stock motor to say otherwise.

I'll agree with you this much, the GT makes great power for being an entry level sports car. What is "fast" is a matter of opinion and perspective based on ones previous experience. If you haven't had anything with more power before, then I could see how someone could say they are fast cars. But to those of us who have had faster cars previously and/or been around the scene for awhile know that these cars aren't competitive with the "fast" crowd around North Texas. For anyone with a 5.0 who thinks otherwise, by all means come out to a Friday night meet someone with the DR crew and give it a go. I can assure you that your perspective will change.

As for the topic - I agree with you that it's a more fair comparison of the Roadrunner vs Terminator than it is against the Coyote since the Roadrunner is forged and the Coyote is not.

I like Terminators, I think they are fun as hell to drive with a twinscrew. That being said, compared to the new motors, the Terminators are FAR less efficient needing a LOT of air to make big power.
I think a lot of what we also hear as far as problems with a near stock car comes from forum opinion which is generally garbage. My car is near stock and has 26k miles on it. Runs like a champ, had zero problem with both the engine and tranny (Knocks on wood)

I agree with the perspective thing. But the folks out at Coit are also in their own league of fast. You want slow i'll let you drive my wife's Altima

Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #60
Grandpa
I> /\/\

What is affordable is relative. A lot of people can't afford a new Stang now because the prices keep creeping up. Some CS GT's were even approaching the $40k mark at one point. A Roush Mustang can easily go over $60k. Your argument is out the window now on Mustangs and pricing.

A very low mileage LS3 08-11 Vette can be bought for what a lot of Premium and CS buyers were paying for their cars. Grandsports are barely a little bit more and Z06's can be bought for low 40's. It's a fair comparison. Good luck buying a 13 GT500 for anything less than $55k.