Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #46
El_Tortuga

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
But you would fit so well in it
My brother drove a 70's Dodge Colt forever. Actually a decent car, and it was stunning to see his 6-6 frame stand up beside it. The colt had a long seat track and the long doors made it a very comfortable fit. 2 doors can surprise you.
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:04 AM   #47
03MachMe

Originally Posted by NAVAG View Post
The rice burners are way overpriced IMO. I'm finding way too many Civics, Corollas, Altimas, etc with 250+ miles on them going for more than $5K...Some even closer to 10. There is a high demand for DD that get good MPG so the sales market has been exploiting that for a couple of years. 36-40+ MPG is great but a car that gets >31 is good enough for me. The only reason I wouldn't buy a car that already has 200K miles on it is the fact that I plan on putting at least another 100K more within the next three years. And when you think about it, that Civic with 200,000 miles on it sitting out there was probably some other guys DD that probably crappped out on him so he traded it for another one. Now here it sits, fresh from auction, waiting for the next sucker.

If you want a good beater/work commuter car do some research and find some good cars that are not only reliable but get better than average highway miles.

Neon, Stratus, Cavalier, to name a few. I found a Cavalier with 85K miles on it that they are selling for $3K. If it is still on the lot next Friday I'll try to Jew them down to $2500. Sitting a few cars over is a beat up Civic with 186k miles on it that they want $7K for. I found another Cavalier with 135K miles on it that someone is asking $2K.

The only good thing about Honda's is that they are easy to work on and if you blow your 200,000+ mile engine you can get an replacement in the junk yard for a couple hundred bucks. If you get a Honda don't hesitate to replace the head gasket because that will probably be the first thing to go...

I'm looking at it as spending three grand on another mod for my 5.0...My DD Mod.
I am doing the same with our tax return. I have been mainly looking at a 2008ish Focus because, well its a Ford. I agree 100% on all the hondas and toyotas being over priced. another car with good milage that is pretty cheap for a newer car is a 2007+ Chevy Aveo. Can get the 4 door sedan and they dont look horrible and get 35 or so hwy MPG. can find them with less than 100k miles for under 5k.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #48
fordplay

I still don't see the point of buying another car to save money.. but to each their own, I advise against the turbo vw.. 3 of the guys I work with Have them, and have had nothing but problems, the best is they don't start in the cold!! Eventually they do and run like crap.. they had vw's prior to this with no issues. But below 40 degrees they are all in the lot trying to start them
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #49
5PointSlow

Originally Posted by fordplay View Post
I still don't see the point of buying another car to save money.. but to each their own, I advise against the turbo vw.. 3 of the guys I work with Have them, and have had nothing but problems, the best is they don't start in the cold!! Eventually they do and run like crap.. they had vw's prior to this with no issues. But below 40 degrees they are all in the lot trying to start them

I wanted a DD so I wasn't racking up miles on my mustang, but then I decided I really enjoy driving the mustang. If I end up getting stationed in the dfw area and leave the wife and kids in OKC I could see getting a car that gets great gas mileage to make the 3 hour drive. Other than that I think my DD would sit since I do love driving the stang.

SOLD!
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium
Roush TVS/JLT Big Air
Stainless Works Long Tubes and catted X.
Magnaflow Competition Catback
AED Tuned
***Driver Mod***
10.88@134 on street tires
5PointSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #50
03MachMe

1. to keep the miles off the mustang
2. so I wont be worried about breaking stuff in the mustang when I race it because If i break something and the car is down for a while I still have a way to get to work.
3. a lot easier to fit the huge rear facing car seat in a 4 door car. I can take my son with me in the mustang right now but it can only be the two of us because the passenger seat has to be pushed all the way forward.
4. I dont like driving the mustang to work. Unfortunately we don't have separate parking for visitors and employees and in my line of work I don't want one of last nights "customers" to see me get out of my mustang the next day when I get to work (has already happened numerous times).
5. so I don't care about having to drive in bad weather, door dings (so the wife stops complaining about parking in BFE everywhere), and other things like that.

basically I like my mustang too much to put it thought all the crap an everyday car goes through. Of course I enjoy the mustang a hell of a lot more than a shit DD and I will drive it every chance I get but always nice to have a backup car.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #51
STROKD
Old School

Lmfao. Ok had to chime in here... ive had 3 turbo VWs in a row. they all start in the cold... how fucken old are their shitboxes? I dont keep a car i drive often out of warranty... thats the whole damn point of having a car I dont have to worry about. if its a vw out of warranty, its likely going to break. Once tgey are over 5 to 6 years old they fall apart, but i only keep them for 3 and they are aces in that time frame... not one zero problem.

As for not understanding the point of another car. Its simple mathematics actually. Someone broke it down in one of these threads but figure if you save 250/mo in gas by not driving your Stang or whatever, that is basically applied to a payment or towards a cash car. You also save wear and tear on your hot rod, tire expense, oil changes as often, your paint stays nicer, the interior stays nicer, and if you sell your car down tge road, it will be worth more money.

I got into this mindset when i lived is SF. I had a Terminator that averaged 15 mpg. Gas was 5/gallon, so i bought a Civic Hybrid for 202/mo. With insurance i was out 260ish... so the 37k miles I put on that car which averaged 40 mpg saved me about 7400 bucks in gas, not to mention the price difference in 87 vs 93, and the amount of money i would have lost selling my Cobra with 60k miles instead of 22k... lets call it 7 grand... so not to mention tires and maintenance, i spend 10k for car and insurance to save almost 15... in real world numbers its closer to probably 22 to 25, since tires would been 4 grand at least over 4 sets, clutch or two, 10 oil changes yadada, thats if the motor, trans and rear never broke!

Hope that makes more sense to people confused about the reasoning of a daily car.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #52
fordplay

But stroked what you are leaving out is the cost for the pos dd.. I traded in my svt focus for my Mustang and my insurance went down.. you say we'll it saved me $250 a month in gas.. well no.. I drive 30 miles one way. That's a tank a week at $50.00 the focus was $30 a week. That's $80 a month.. Tires on the mustang cost me $600 a set.. The focus were $500 . I was and am getting 2 years out of a set that's $5.16 a month.. mustang oil change is $39.00 every 5 months.. The focus was $19.99 every 3 months so that's $1.30 roughly savings for a focus.. I don't have exact numbers on my insurance but I can look them up if needed. . Both are manuals, clutch replacement is a wash.. I'm damaging the paint on which ever I drive. And with 5,000 mustangs sold every day I'm not deluding myself that it's a classic.. so a total of $86.46 left over as a car payment for a dd.. go over that and you are losing money.. we can get more scientific and go into the rates at which both cars devalue, etc... but even if you say that's ok I paid cash.. ok then estimate how much that cash would have earned you over 5 years in interest and subtract that from the total savings.. then put a price on how much you hate driving a 87 civic vs your mustang every day. .. now some cases... let's say you have a 1,200 hp mustang with a drag chute.. we'll yeah. Ok.. or but jeff I live in Minnesota, ok 9 months out of the year you need a 4x4.. If you just want another car to drive ok fine but just say that.
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #53
NAVAG

Just a little over 1 year and my mustang has
41,500 miles
100+ miles per day
$100/week in gas

I'll have it paid off in 3 years.
160,000 miles
multiple scratches, dings, rock chips...If I'm lucky.
"OK, You're interested in the Mach 1, Eh? Well, We'll give you jack shit for your '13..."

Buying a beater/DD makes perfect since to me
NAVAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #54
STROKD
Old School

Fordplay, my math was all included. It was a brand new civic hybrid off the lot for 202/mo for 36 months plus 50 or so for insurance for same time. Thats where I came up with spending 10 to save over 20.. and I forgot to add Uncle Sam gave me 3500 bucks to buy the damn car as a tax credit... that wasnt even figured in!.... the gas mpg averaged 40 (gas in northern cali was 4.99/gallon in 2007 to 2008 when I did this), it got 54 on long trips... i had an orange cobra which they made 281 of not 5000... also, as you wrap it up, my other mustang is going to be over 1200 hp and has a cage and a chute... so you sort of made my point in every way, so thanks for that.

Even it didnt work out for you, it makes sense if you get a car cheap enough that gets good enough mpg to offset its expense. Thats all it boils down to.