Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Dominic Toretto

Default Tipping

I was having a conversation with a co-worker that used to work as a waitress. She said it is rude not to tip. I commented that I only feel inclined to tip, if the service was above exceptional. I thought that was the point of a tip, to give for exceedingly great service. Otherwise, they are just doing their job as agreed by the restaurant. I compared it to my job. If I come in and do just well enough, I don't expect a bonus so why should a waiter/waitress? Thoughts.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
I was having a conversation with a co-worker that used to work as a waitress. She said it is rude not to tip. I commented that I only feel inclined to tip, if the service was above exceptional. I thought that was the point of a tip, to give for exceedingly great service. Otherwise, they are just doing their job as agreed by the restaurant. I compared it to my job. If I come in and do just well enough, I don't expect a bonus so why should a waiter/waitress? Thoughts.

-Alex
Becuase their income is based of tips. I always leave something. Usually around 15% on the norm. For great service I will do 25-35%. Point being i always leave one. THey only make 2:15 an hr and depend on that money. Eithe way they are serving you. LOl I bet you dont even tip at Sonic?

Last edited by re-rx7; 02-10-2014 at 12:46 PM.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
I bet you dont even tip at Sonic?
I don't. I always go through the drive through though .

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 02-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
I don't. I always go through the drive through though .

-Alex
Damn you got me!
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
emery2483

sonic depends if it's a pretty girl lol I usually try and tip something but there are days where I have no cash or anything :/
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
DirtyD

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Damn you got me!
I never tip at Sonic because 1) I hardly go there, and 2) most of the people that serve me at Sonic act as if they don't want a tip.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
brtnstrns

I never tip at Sonic. Then again, I never have cash plus it feels weird since its fast food.

I always tip at a restaurant. If they do their job then I usually give close to 20%, will do more if it's a bartender or someone that was really good. I don't really mind since their income is based off that unless they're just a huge asshole or something.

But not tipping at all unless they do EXCEPTIONAL? That's pretty cheap bro.

03 DSG Mach 1

Stroked/Forged, Heads, Cams, Long Runner Intake, Built Cobra IRS, Cobra Fuel System
brtnstrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
But not tipping at all unless they do EXCEPTIONAL? That's pretty cheap bro.
ROFL, it's not a matter of money. I just look at it as doing a job, versus doing a great job. Like I said, I get paid to do a job. I get compensated differently if I come in and do just enough to not get fired versus going above and beyond. Seems logical to me.

-Alex

Old 02-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
Grandpa
I> /\/\

If I get great service, I tip very well. For bad service I don't tip.

I don't tip at Sonic because I don't eat there. There is nothing for me to eat there anyways even if I did. Everything there is fried, filled with meat or heavily processed. The food at Sonic is repulsive. Whatever oil that they use gives off a weird smell and I can't stand it.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
pohnjarker

my wife used to be a waitress so its a sore subject for her when we talk about it. i dont like to tip but do it mostly because its customary. i'll tip 15% unless i have no complaints, then its 20%. its an industry that people go into knowing what they will be making an hour so its not like its a surprise. if they dont like it, go somewhere else to work. no other industry that i can think of "requires" their customer to help pay a salary.

ive tipped 10% or less on poor service because that's exactly what it should be based on...the type of service provided.

i go through the drive through at sonic just so i dont have to tip because its ridiculous to tip for someone to bring you a bag of food...once. if they were coming back again and again like in a restaurant, id give a real tip. otherwise, its drive through time.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
Bacadiesel

I agree with Alex. Well maybe they should get a better job that pays more than $2. I think all waiters/waitresses think they are entitled to and think they deserve a tip everytime. I grew up in CA, and over there they get paid 8+ an hour so it's a not a big thing to tip over there. Then when I moved to TX it was this big deal about tipping.
Bacadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by pohnjarker View Post
its an industry that people go into knowing what they will be making an hour so its not like its a surprise.
This man knows the truth.

-Alex

Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
BERT
I love tube socks

Cheap motherfuckers in here
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I don't think anyone goes into waiting on tables thinking yeah let's go earn $2 bucks an hour. I think those people tend to think that the service they provide they can maximize their earning potential by giving excellent service rather than a flat fee per hour to where bad waiters earn as much as the good ones.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
DirtyD

No, most kids nowadays I feel go into waiting staff positions thinking they can do very minimal, subpar to okay service, and they still expect to see a tip, a nice one, at the end of the meal, because it's customary to tip well. It's the entitlement issue again. They think they deserve a tip no matter how bad they are.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote