Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
Selcouth

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
The more I hear about the coyote motor the more it seems like a kseries motor from Honda. It to can adjust timing up to 50degrees! Man I guess we should be thanking Honda for variable valve timing in a way.
Uh oh you just went there.
Selcouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #32
Yagermeister

One other issue with the lope idle from any tuner is that you should not have your cats still on the car as it will destroy them. Besides..who still has cats on their Mustang anyways??
Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #33
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Yagermeister View Post
One other issue with the lope idle from any tuner is that you should not have your cats still on the car as it will destroy them. Besides..who still has cats on their Mustang anyways??
I just saw your car in 5.0 Magazine. I looked past it a couple of times and didn't even click. Wasn't used to seeing your car on the stock wheels. lol
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #34
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Selcouth View Post
Uh oh you just went there.
It's true.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #35
46Tbird

The more I hear about the coyote motor the more it seems like a kseries motor from Honda. It to can adjust timing up to 50degrees! Man I guess we should be thanking Honda for variable valve timing in a way.
Yeah....except that VTECH functions in a completely different way and Honda didn't invent or even conceive variable valve timing.

I see nothing wrong with a lope tune. You're just taking advantage of the inherent valvetrain adjustability to get a better sound out of the car. Frankly I can't stand the near-silent sewing machine idle on these cars. But the lope tunes also sound completely ridiculous, like a nascar stocker. Be nice to just get a 'burble tune' lmao.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #36
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Yeah....except that VTECH functions in a completely different way and Honda didn't invent or even conceive variable valve timing.

I see nothing wrong with a lope tune. You're just taking advantage of the inherent valvetrain adjustability to get a better sound out of the car. Frankly I can't stand the near-silent sewing machine idle on these cars. But the lope tunes also sound completely ridiculous, like a nascar stocker. Be nice to just get a 'burble tune' lmao.
It Vtec. Actuated by oil pressure. How are they different?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #37
46Tbird

I already explained that Honda didn't conceive or engineer the first variable valve technology, so WHY would Ford thank them for it?

Honda uses a secondary high lift, high duration lobe for each valve. Ford uses one lobe per valve and phases the camshaft as needed.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #38
re-rx7
Banned

Honda can be considered the first true "can switching" system.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #39
Yagermeister

Steve, I'm not used to seeing it on stock wheels either ;-)
Old 05-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #40
Selcouth

It's true.
Or not cause it was first used in the 19th century for steam engines or something similar to the process known as steam cutoff.

If you are talking automotive then you can thank FIAT who successfully patent one that was fully functional in the early 60's. However, if you are about to argue who first actually put it in a production car it wasn't Honda, but Alfa Romeo in the early 80's. Honda had nothing to do with the technology till the late 80's in the automotive world. But Ford owned that shit in the truck world. Give credit where it's due. :P
Old 05-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #41
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Selcouth View Post
Or not cause it was first used in the 19th century for steam engines or something similar to the process known as steam cutoff.

If you are talking automotive then you can thank FIAT who successfully patent one that was fully functional in the early 60's. However, if you are about to argue who first actually put it in a production car it wasn't Honda, but Alfa Romeo in the early 80's. Honda had nothing to do with the technology till the late 80's in the automotive world. But Ford owned that shit in the truck world. Give credit where it's due. :P
Jesus, look up the first company that introduced cam switching. Honda was the first. Its a fact,
Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #42
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Jesus, look up the first company that introduced cam switching. Honda was the first. Its a fact,
Quit being an -

Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #43
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Quit being an -

CLever.....
Old 05-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #44
46Tbird

What is cam switching? Even Google doesn't know.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #45
re-rx7
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing

"VTEC can be considered the first "cam switching" system and is also one of only a few currently in production."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC

"A third option is to change the cam timing profile, of which Honda VTEC was the first successful commercial design for altering the profile in real-time."