Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #31
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
I thought it was a Looney Toons joke.

-Alex
The joke was actually on us 5.0 owners when we were given the glass motors/manuals transmissions while the rest of Stangers got a much better motor! lmao.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #32
BERT
I love tube socks

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
The joke was actually on us 5.0 owners when we were given the glass motors/manuals transmissions while the rest of Stangers got a much better motor! lmao.

Nothing wrong with the motors for those of us that plan on keeping them NA
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #33
46Tbird

Fifteen grand buys a lot of aftermarket parts, just sayin.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #34
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
Fuck that. If I had long term plans of having a slow car I would have bought a Camaro or a Challenger. I'll boost this thing or sell it to get a Vette.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #35
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
The GT500's 5.8 is called the Trinity.
Should have called it Tweety.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #36
Dominic Toretto

That's what I plan on doing. Seems to be expensive for a full build. Looks like Boss heads are going for like $3,000 for a full set, not including cams. Yikes. But I don't care to have the most powerful. I think NA applications are more reliable. Nothing against anyone with a power adder though. I just wouldn't add one unless the car was originally designed for boost.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 11-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #37
BERT
I love tube socks

Fuck that. If I had long term plans of having a slow car I would have bought a Camaro or a Challenger. I'll boost this thing or sell it to get a Vette.

LMAO, yeah that takes money.

Maybe one day down the road i'll do it. I'd like to turbo it but I really enjoyed the sound of a ProCharger that I had on the coupe.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #38
BERT
I love tube socks

That's what I plan on doing. Seems to be expensive for a full build. Looks like Boss heads are going for like $3,000 for a full set, not including cams. Yikes. But I don't care to have the most powerful. I think NA applications are more reliable. Nothing against anyone with a power adder though. I just wouldn't add one unless the car was originally designed for boost.

-Alex

This is my thinking too. The high compression with these rods makes me weary of even thinking about boost.

I want cams but fuck those are expensive
Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #39
Grandpa
I> /\/\

-Alex
A bad tune or bad gas can kill a NA motor just as fast as it could on a blown one - made for it or not.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #40
Grandpa
I> /\/\

LMAO, yeah that takes money.

Maybe one day down the road i'll do it. I'd like to turbo it but I really enjoyed the sound of a ProCharger that I had on the coupe.
$30-$35k car + $7-8k blower set up is used Z06 territory. There is some great deals out there right now on used C6 Z06's cuz so many of the old farts are upgrading to the C7's. I've been eye'n one that isn't on the market yet but will be soon when his order comes in. H/C/I car, 28k miles for $42k. Smokin deal for a fast car that will murder a blown 5.0.

A blown 5.0 is a fun car too, just hard to ignore other solid deals out there to be had right now.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #41
BERT
I love tube socks

$30-$35k car + $7-8k blower set up is used Z06 territory. There is some great deals out there right now on used C6 Z06's cuz so many of the old farts are upgrading to the C7's. I've been eye'n one that isn't on the market yet but will be soon when his order comes in. H/C/I car, 28k miles for $42k. Smokin deal for a fast car that will murder a blown 5.0.

A blown 5.0 is a fun car too, just hard to ignore other solid deals out there to be had right now.

Don't think i'll ever say 42K for a used car is a good deal lol
Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #42
Dominic Toretto

This is my thinking too. The high compression with these rods makes me weary of even thinking about boost.

I want cams but fuck those are expensive
Check out the price of heads lol.

A bad tune or bad gas can kill a NA motor just as fast as it could on a blown one - made for it or not.
True.

But it's far less likely, no one forks out the money for a blower to intentionally find a bad tune. I am referring to how strong the motor is built from the factory. Very rarely, if ever, has a motor been built in NA form to handle boost. I believe S2000 have been built that way but, Honda of course has a rep to be reliable so that makes sense. You don't typically find NA performance cars that come with forged pistons, rods, crank, titanium valves etc. If you're going to boost it, you normally have to worry about the bottom end breaking so you have to spend an additional few grand to build it.

-Alex

Old 11-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #43
Dominic Toretto

I was talking to a guy that had bought a salvaged C6Z. Bought it for like $20k, just had some shop in DFW replace the heads, cam etc and is putting down over 600rwhp and is his daily driver. Ridiculous.

-Alex

Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #44
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Don't think i'll ever say 42K for a used car is a good deal lol
Considering the performance of what the car is capable of and what they originally stickered for they are smoking deals. I guess it's hard to understand for the people who have never driven one, but once you have you will get it.

Check out the price of heads lol.

True.

But it's far less likely, no one forks out the money for a blower to intentionally find a bad tune. I am referring to how strong the motor is built from the factory. Very rarely, if ever, has a motor been built in NA form to handle boost. I believe S2000 have been built that way but, Honda of course has a rep to be reliable so that makes sense. You don't typically find NA performance cars that come with forged pistons, rods, crank, titanium valves etc. If you're going to boost it, you normally have to worry about the bottom end breaking so you have to spend an additional few grand to build it.

-Alex
Yeah, the parts prices on these cars are fucking absurd. The Coyote tax on parts seems VERY similar to that of the famous "vette tax" on parts. haha.

I disagree on your second part. I've had several boosted cars over the years and only one of them was "built" from the factory for it.

My 93 Cobra was a stock block car and made 540rw with a Vortech S-trim. Any foxbody guy will tell you that anything over 400rw on a fox is pushing the limits of the factory block to split it right down the main valley. I had the car like that over 5 years and was still running strong the day I sold it.

It's all in how you treat a car. Keep the tune on it good, maintain it properly with good/regular oil/plug changes, drive it like a sane person not beating on it on the rev-limiter at every opportunity and the car can live a long happy life beyond what conventional internet so sayers claim.

The problem these days lies in that its SO easy to make power. A simple pulley/tune change and it's easy power. Add to that the competition is so high out there these days it's crazy easy to get carried away to get caught up in the HP wars. Factory cars are faster than ever and it's super easy to make them even faster. The hardest part of the whole hobby is restraining oneself.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #45
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I was talking to a guy that had bought a salvaged C6Z. Bought it for like $20k, just had some shop in DFW replace the heads, cam etc and is putting down over 600rwhp and is his daily driver. Ridiculous.

-Alex
I would never advise anyone on buying a salvaged Vette of any kind, let alone a Z06 that has an aluminum frame.

That being said, a 600rw Z06 is a fast car. It would take a Mustang an extra 150-175rw more than the Z06 to hang. How many 775rw 5.0's are out there to handle that? Not many!