Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
saunupe1911

Default What if 2015 IRS can be retrofit into a S197?

It's seems to me that the S550 platform will still be extremely structurally similar to the S197 except for the rear IRS. I wonder if it will be easy to retrofit it into our S197... similar to how Terminators owners swap out IRS vs SRA? Also would you do it if the IRS proves to be a huge performance difference?
saunupe1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
DirtyD

Completely different chassis. I think the car is narrower than the S197, but I guess we will see...

The difference with the Cobra IRS to SRA was the fact the Cobra still retained the ability to mount the SRA to existing locations on the body and such.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
donutninja

It would be nice but would it really be worth it? I would imagine that, even if it fit, it would be a major ordeal. Prolly be better off trading in and getting a 2015....though, I think it's kind of ugly.
donutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
JDBishopArts

Yay for breaking half shafts!
JDBishopArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I personally don't see a need for it. The aftermarket available to Mustang owners is so vast and full of components that can make the SRA suspension handle very well that I don't see a need to put a very heavy IRS in it that might/might not work as well.

Hell, Corvette is still using a transverse rear leaf spring type set up and it handles better than some super cars that cost 3 times as much with really advanced IRS systems!
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
saunupe1911

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
I personally don't see a need for it. The aftermarket available to Mustang owners is so vast and full of components that can make the SRA suspension handle very well that I don't see a need to put a very heavy IRS in it that might/might not work as well.

Hell, Corvette is still using a transverse rear leaf spring type set up and it handles better than some super cars that cost 3 times as much with really advanced IRS systems!
Ford has been quoted by MT and C&D saying that the rear IRS is 200 pounds lighter than today's SRA.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
Ford has been quoted by MT and C&D saying that the rear IRS is 200 pounds lighter than today's SRA.
Link?

How is that even physically possible? Is it made out of plastic?

I'd believe that when I see it. Two hundred pounds is an incredible amount of weight to remove from a car entirely, let alone from just the rear end itself. Especially one with even more moving parts on it.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
saunupe1911

Link?

I'd believe that when I see it. Two hundred pounds is an incredible amount of weight to remove from a car entirely, let alone from just the rear end itself. Especially one with even more moving parts on it.
There you go. I assume MT and C&D have the same source since they are sibling companies and regurgitate the same info. It's much more realistic than the crazy, initial 400 pound rumor.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news

My guess is that it's all aluminum control arms. I hope it's strong based upon the power they plan to make for this platform

Last edited by saunupe1911; 11-14-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
DirtyD

Link?

CF CV shafts and aluminum titanium housings....
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Grandpa
I> /\/\

There you go. I assume MT and C&D have the same source since they are sibling companies and regurgitate the same info. It's much more realistic than the crazy, initial 400 pound rumor.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news

My guess is that it's all aluminum control arms. I hope it's strong based upon the power they plan to make for this platform
"The new “S550” chassis sits underneath this convertible, and it not only brings an independent rear suspension—finally—but also saves a couple hundred pounds of weight over the old car. Cutting out some fat not only will help efficiency but should also be a boon to both ride and handling."

They aren't saying the rear-end is 200lbs lighter, they are saying the whole car is a couple hundred pounds lighter which makes much more sense.

Hopefully the IRS is a vast improvement over that junky one from 2003. We will just have to wait to see.

I find myself very leary of the 2015 Mustang. Take all of the quirks of the current Coyote issues like the questionable durability of the motor itself and the MT82, then add to that a new IRS and platform that will be unproven. Wow, big gamble on a new performance car.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
CF CV shafts and aluminum titanium housings....
LMAO, I see that going well. Should be cheap to repair too!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
re-rx7
Banned

To mustang purist the new mustang is gna take a nose dive. I myself do not like it and i agree with everuthing steve is saying.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
To mustang purist the new mustang is gna take a nose dive. I myself do not like it and i agree with everuthing steve is saying.
I love the Mustang and always have ,but it seems the direction Ford is going with it makes it more BMW like than like a Mustang. And there is nothing wrong with BMW, hell they are the benchmark for performance in a lot of catagories. It's just in my opinion Ford is getting more away from what I think a Mustang is which is affordable performance for the average guy.

My current Mustang doesn't feel like a Mustang to ME. If feels closer to a Caddy than it does a Mustang. It doesn't feel as tight or performance oriented, but rather more luxury. It's different, just takes some getting used to I suppose.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
saunupe1911

I just want this car to be fast (in straight line as well as the corners) and affordable. I can't believe how much yall seem to favor the SRA. This is my first and last SRA car. I'm used to the quirks at this point, but it's course has run out with me. Was the Terminator IRS that bad? Yall are bitter lol

Also, what if the price doesn't increase? It will still be the best bang-for-ya-buck performance car.

Last edited by saunupe1911; 11-14-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I just want this car to be fast (in straight line as well as the corners) and affordable. I can't believe how much yall seem to favor the SRA. This is my first and last SRA car. I'm used to the quirks at this point, but it's course has run out with me.
I think the point you are missing here is that no one would mind an IRS if it was durable enough to handle the abuse and wasn't so expensive. The Mustang aftermarket is huge and all the issues with the SRA suspension have been ironed out. You can beat the ever loving snot out of a SRA and it will hold up to the abuse. If you ever had been in a Terminator with bad wheel hop from the crap IRS you'd understand why. They are junk!

The IRS in 03-04 was a miserable failure that twisted halfshafts with even stock power let alone the guys with real power. Foofinator kept extra Lvl 5 halfshafts on the shelf because they broke so often. Most Terminator guys who race a lot usually convert to a SRA axle. That should tell you something.