Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
DirtyD

Default Exhaust Opinion: Resonator replacements w/ bullet muffler

The excellent first sound of the GT500s over the stock exhaust has worn off on my after about a year. I have been tossing around the idea of replacing my resonators with a simple bullet style muffler while maintaining my GT500s. I am currently running the stock midpipe, but I do plan on upgrading to an ORH in the future. I don't want it to be ridiculously loud (like A Roush exhaust) before or after the ORH, just a little louder.

Basically looking to merge Johnathan's exhaust with a standard exhaust.

What are y'all's thoughts and opinions on how this may sound?
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I love my o/r H and gt500 combo with stock resonators. It's not loud at all just driving around. Sounds great at WOT but can still be almost be as quiet as stock cruising in 6th gear on the highway.

One of the guys you were cruising with on Friday night his car was crazy loud. I rode in Merlins car too and just cruising down the highway it was still pretty loud. While it sounds pretty good, I'd get tired of it that loud all the time.

In my opinion, I think the O/R H, gt500's with stock resonators is perfect balance between muscle car sound but not obnoxiously loud.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
46Tbird

You won't notice any change. Bullet mufflers are perforated metal surrounded by a fiber packing material... which is exactly what resonators are. In fact, the Bullet mufflers are intended to be the only muffling device on an exhaust system so there's a pretty good chance your car will be even quieter with them.

Steve is on the right track. I would ditch my Boss 302 quad exhaust if I could run a catless H or X pipe. However, I don't want to run a tune for now.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I love my o/r H and gt500 combo with stock resonators. It's not loud at all just driving around. Sounds great at WOT but can still be almost be as quiet as stock cruising in 6th gear on the highway.

One of the guys you were cruising with on Friday night his car was crazy loud. I rode in Merlins car too and just cruising down the highway it was still pretty loud. While it sounds pretty good, I'd get tired of it that loud all the time.

In my opinion, I think the O/R H, gt500's with stock resonators is perfect balance between muscle car sound but not obnoxiously loud.
Agrred thats what im trying to stay away from as well. Having owned alot of straight pipe cars it wears on your ears hearing it all the time. I though about the GT500 Over axle pipes to deete the resonator but decided that it will probally be to loud when I get my offroad H. Steve, is your car loud at WOT and how do you like the H vs the X?
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
rriddle3

If you have the GT500s, why not just remove the resonators and see how you like that? If it's not enough, you can take it from that point.
2012 GT Automatic, Kona Blue w/Stone interior
The usual exhaust mods, JLT CAI, Brenspeed tune, BMR LCAs
rriddle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Agrred thats what im trying to stay away from as well. Having owned alot of straight pipe cars it wears on your ears hearing it all the time. I though about the GT500 Over axle pipes to deete the resonator but decided that it will probally be to loud when I get my offroad H. Steve, is your car loud at WOT and how do you like the H vs the X?
I suppose it depends on what your personal definition of loud is. I think it sounds pretty good at WOT, but it's no where near as loud as some of these other guys cars who are really loud. An opinion of what is loud or what sounds good really comes down to personal preference. If I wanted a super loud race car sound, I would have just stuck with foxbodies. TO ME, I think it takes away from how nice these cars are when making them super loud.

I personally prefer the H pipe because of its deeper tone and less raspy noise. The H pipe gives the car more of a deep muscle car tone versus the X that gives a higher pitched tone. My wife's Mach has an X pipe and its quite abit more raspy, but that is in part of the 4.6 motor.

Of all the years of Mustangs I've had, I think these new 5.0's are the hardest to get to sound just right. I love the classic Flowmaster sound of the foxbodies. I've heard just about every combo possible for these new 5.0's and I think the OR-H/gt500 is about as close to that as you can get with these high winding multi-cam motors.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
re-rx7
Banned

I suppose it depends on what your personal definition of loud is. I think it sounds pretty good at WOT, but it's no where near as loud as some of these other guys cars who are really loud. An opinion of what is loud or what sounds good really comes down to personal preference. If I wanted a super loud race car sound, I would have just stuck with foxbodies. TO ME, I think it takes away from how nice these cars are when making them super loud.

I personally prefer the H pipe because of its deeper tone and less raspy noise. The H pipe gives the car more of a deep muscle car tone versus the X that gives a higher pitched tone. My wife's Mach has an X pipe and its quite abit more raspy, but that is in part of the 4.6 motor.

Of all the years of Mustangs I've had, I think these new 5.0's are the hardest to get to sound just right. I love the classic Flowmaster sound of the foxbodies. I've heard just about every combo possible for these new 5.0's and I think the OR-H/gt500 is about as close to that as you can get with these high winding multi-cam motors.
I think we have the same taste in exhaust noise. I absolutely loved the way that the 4.6 motors sound with exhaust. Im choosing the Hpipe to get away from the raspiness.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Midnight11
El Presidente

remove the resonators or just get an offroad h pipe

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Midnight11 View Post
remove the resonators or just get an offroad h pipe
The plan is O/R H and leave stock Res. I think that will be plenty loud.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
DirtyD

Which one? LOL Every single one of them were loud as hell. Haha.

I'm wanting a little louder tone, but not obnoxious like you said. I guess the ORH will probably do the trick if I just hang out and wait.

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
You won't notice any change. Bullet mufflers are perforated metal surrounded by a fiber packing material... which is exactly what resonators are. In fact, the Bullet mufflers are intended to be the only muffling device on an exhaust system so there's a pretty good chance your car will be even quieter with them.

Steve is on the right track. I would ditch my Boss 302 quad exhaust if I could run a catless H or X pipe. However, I don't want to run a tune for now.
Yeah, I know they are similar, but I figured they may give a little more volume. Johnathan's car is running bullets pre-axle on his car, and it's pretty damn loud without ABs on it.

Originally Posted by rriddle3 View Post
If you have the GT500s, why not just remove the resonators and see how you like that? If it's not enough, you can take it from that point.
GT500s with no resonators are raspy. They will also pop like crazy on decel without an OR midpipe, which will only get worse when that is added to the mix.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
rriddle3

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
...GT500s with no resonators are raspy. They will also pop like crazy on decel without an OR midpipe, which will only get worse when that is added to the mix.
I guess raspy is in the ear of the listener. Mine don't sound raspy to me, and mine definitely does not pop on decel without resonators. Whatever.
2012 GT Automatic, Kona Blue w/Stone interior
The usual exhaust mods, JLT CAI, Brenspeed tune, BMR LCAs

Last edited by rriddle3; 07-01-2013 at 10:23 AM.
rriddle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
DirtyD

Originally Posted by rriddle3 View Post
I guess raspy is in the ear of the listener. Mine don't sound raspy to me, and mine definitely do not pop on decel without resonators. Whatever.
All the ones I've heard sound this way, but I may want to give yours another listen. I only heard it briefly a few times.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
Midnight11
El Presidente

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
The plan is O/R H and leave stock Res. I think that will be plenty loud.
its alright, already had that combo. was too quiet and sounded like everyone else to me..

HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Midnight11 View Post
sounded like everyone else to me..
Wait..wut. Now the sound needs to be "different" too? Ok, I'm drawing the line there. That's crazy. lmao.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
Midnight11
El Presidente

Wait..wut. Now the sound needs to be "different" too? Ok, I'm drawing the line there. That's crazy. lmao.
when we had that first softball practice and 4 out of the 5 had gt500s yea i wanted a different sound.

like i said though mostly too quiet for me

HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve