Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
faztcobra

Default Offroad friendly inspection locations?

Haven't had to get an offroad pipe'd car inspected in years. Not sure if offroad friendly places still exist? I have a tune that has my rear 02 sensors turned off and it's my understanding that those not being "ready" will automatically fail you. I'm sure if these places exist, a public answer isn't likely - so feel free to PM me. Alternatively, I guess I could swap my cats back on for a day, but that'd be a PITA. Thanks in advance if anyone can provide some helpful info.
faztcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
DirtyD

present day cars (2001> or something like that) are allowed 1 "system not ready" to still be allowed to pass inspection. Now if they actually perform a visual inspection...you're screwed.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
present day cars (2001> or something like that) are allowed 1 "system not ready" to still be allowed to pass inspection. Now if they actually perform a visual inspection...you're screwed.
My tune shows the 02 sensors and sensor heaters as not ready making it two not readys.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
03MachMe

i believe you are allowed two. Most places will not do a visual check. as long as you pass the computer most places will pass you.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Grandpa
I> /\/\

If this is a Coyote car it can be made to pass in the tune by increasing the voltage on the 02 sensors in the tune. Get with your tuner to give you an emissions tune.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
i believe you are allowed two. Most places will not do a visual check. as long as you pass the computer most places will pass you.
You are only allowed one now.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Oxford14Stang

As a state inspector. Let me correct some statements and agree on others. If the vehicle is 2001 or newer the vehicle will pass with 1 not ready monitor on the OBD part of the inspection. If the vehicle is older than 2001 it can pass with 2 not ready monitors on the OBD part of the inspection. Than there's the "saftey" inspection part of a vehicle that's 96' or newer. They're required to inspected for multiple things, in example. gas gap(have to visually check for one and than test it) window tint, lights, high beam indicator must show up on the cluster, turn signals must show up on the cluster, and last but not least, cats (didn't list all the saftey items but you get the idea) all those and more need to be checked for in the saftey part of the inspection. If the inspector actually does his job properly(which almost no one ever does anymore since most inspectors are younger guys and wouldn't know an air filter from a cat. if it hit them in the head) and checked for it you'd fail. If he didn't look under the car you'd pass that section. Now I know Gearheads and other shops can tune and turn the monitor to read Not Applicable instead of Not Ready and therefore would pass the OBD part of the state.

Last edited by Oxford14Stang; 08-22-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
faztcobra

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang View Post
As a state inspector. Let me correct some statements and agree on others. If the vehicle is 2001 or newer the vehicle will pass with 1 not ready monitor on the OBD part of the inspection. If the vehicle is older than 2001 it can pass with 2 not ready monitors on the OBD part of the inspection. Than there's the "saftey" inspection part of a vehicle that's 96' or newer. They're required to inspected for multiple things, in example. gas gap(have to visually check for one and than test it) window tint, lights, high beam indicator must show up on the cluster, turn signals must show up on the cluster, and last but not least, cats (didn't list all the saftey items but you get the idea) all those and more need to be checked for in the saftey part of the inspection. If the inspector actually does his job properly(which almost no one ever does anymore since most inspectors are younger guys and wouldn't know an air filter from a cat. if it hit them in the head) and checked for it you'd fail. If he didn't look under the car you'd pass that section. Now I know Gearheads and other shops can tune and turn the monitor to read Not Applicable instead of Not Ready and therefore would pass the OBD part of the state.
thanks for the detailed reply. That's good info to know.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Oxford14Stang

Originally Posted by faztcobra View Post
thanks for the detailed reply. That's good info to know.

No problem. If anyone has any other questions let me know.

Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
DirtyD

Sweet, I was right. Haha
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
faztcobra

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang View Post
No problem. If anyone has any other questions let me know.
I don't know how clean various fuels burn, but with the off road pipe, do you think I'd stand a better chance of passing emissions on 93 Octane or E85? I've been running corn for months, but can easily switch back.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #12
Mrjeremyt

Originally Posted by faztcobra View Post
I don't know how clean various fuels burn, but with the off road pipe, do you think I'd stand a better chance of passing emissions on 93 Octane or E85? I've been running corn for months, but can easily switch back.
You dont have emissions, on your model car its all done using the obd2 port. They don't put a sniffer on it.

94 F150 302
New project, thinking built, procharger, powerglide, tubbed, super sleeper
Mrjeremyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
faztcobra

Originally Posted by Mrjeremyt View Post
You dont have emissions, on your model car its all done using the obd2 port. They don't put a sniffer on it.
Thanks! I learned something new again today.