Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
BERT
I love tube socks

Default Traction Control question

What's the difference in turning off the traction control and turning the AdvanceTrac all the way off?
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
re-rx7
Banned

traction control off allows wheel spin but no sideways fun. It essentially keeps the car from losing control. Advance trac off allows it to be a car with no aids.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
DirtyD

Traction control basically kills the car from making power to shut down the effect of wheel spin.

AdvancTrac "brakes" the wheels to try and prevent the car from going sideways. Hence why some people have tried to get sideways only to have AT throw them into the wall they were driving away from...lol
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
BERT
I love tube socks

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Traction control basically kills the car from making power to shut down the effect of wheel spin.

AdvancTrac "brakes" the wheels to try and prevent the car from going sideways. Hence why some people have tried to get sideways only to have AT throw them into the wall they were driving away from...lol

ouch lol

So is this what keeps the car from rolling backwards on a hill for a couple of seconds? My driveway is on a hill and I can push in the clutch and sometimes it'll hesitate to start rolling backwards.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
DirtyD

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
ouch lol

So is this what keeps the car from rolling backwards on a hill for a couple of seconds? My driveway is on a hill and I can push in the clutch and sometimes it'll hesitate to start rolling backwards.
No. That's the new hill start assist they added for 2013/14. On a certain grade incline it applies the brakes for 2-3 seconds in order for you to get the clutch out in prep for proceeding forward. However, it cancels as soon as you press the clutch in.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
BERT
I love tube socks

No. That's the new hill start assist they added for 2013/14. On a certain grade incline it applies the brakes for 2-3 seconds in order for you to get the clutch out in prep for proceeding forward. However, it cancels as soon as you press the clutch in.

ah ok. That's pretty cool I guess. First thought my damn brakes were sticking lol

Thank you for clearing that up.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
DirtyD

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
ah ok. That's pretty cool I guess. First thought my damn brakes were sticking lol

Thank you for clearing that up.
No prob. LOL

Also, be aware that when you are in "Sport Mode" with both TC and AdvancTrac turned off, the hill start assist is also disabled.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
BERT
I love tube socks

No prob. LOL

Also, be aware that when you are in "Sport Mode" with both TC and AdvancTrac turned off, the hill start assist is also disabled.

Not worried about it, but thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
virtu

Even when the AdvanceTrac is in sport mode it still seems to be pretty strict. I had it in sport mode earlier and was going WOT in 2nd. When I hammered into 3rd I got the car to kick sideways a bit and the nanny control engaged instantly. Turning AdvanceTrac off completely (press and hold brake pedal while holding traction control button for 5 seconds) gives you 100% complete free will to drive your car however you please. Just be careful!
virtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
rriddle3

Originally Posted by virtu View Post
...Turning AdvanceTrac off completely (press and hold brake pedal while holding traction control button for 5 seconds) gives you 100% complete free will to drive your car however you please. Just be careful!
This is the way it used to be for all of us back in the days of the original muscle cars, but very few of us actually had engines producing well over 400hp. You have to be able to drive your car with it off.
2012 GT Automatic, Kona Blue w/Stone interior
The usual exhaust mods, JLT CAI, Brenspeed tune, BMR LCAs
rriddle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
BERT
I love tube socks

Originally Posted by rriddle3 View Post
This is the way it used to be for all of us back in the days of the original muscle cars, but very few of us actually had engines producing well over 400hp. You have to be able to drive your car with it off.

Had a '89 coupe with a 347. I'm well aware of what happens when not being careful
Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Rebelracer568

Learned something new today haha. Didnt know these cars had hill assist lol.
I love cars with no traction control my foxes and old mustangs dont have em.
Rebelracer568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
03MachMe

No prob. LOL

not really. both the TC and AdvancTrac are still on to a degree. it allows some spin but does not allow full burn outs. allows some spin in the corner but doesn't let you do a 360. I think hill start assist also still works but havent tested it

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
maxpayne

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
not really. both the TC and AdvancTrac are still on to a degree. it allows some spin but does not allow full burn outs. allows some spin in the corner but doesn't let you do a 360. I think hill start assist also still works but havent tested it
I think D was referring to when you are in sport mode AND simultaneously turn off TC and AT, not that TC and AT are turned off automatically when you go into sport mode. I think.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
03MachMe

your either TC off, tap once, in sport, tap the TC button twice, or all the way off, Hold down for 5 sec. so if its in sport it is still on or if it is "off" its all the way off.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote