Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
downtime!

Default Update on my car

Finally heading in the right direction. Travis has had it on the dyno for the last few days, trying to get some baseline readings and figure out what was going on with the car (it wouldn't rev, sounded like it was choked off, the weird idle issue, the miss, all that crap). There was no smoothing the original tune, the parameters were just all over the charts, nothing really made sense. The 80 lb injectors were scaled back to about 55 pounds, the fuel trims looked pretty good, the timing tables were all over (probably why I made 625 to the wheels). I told him to just start over and see what he could do with it.

Talked to him today and it looks like we're getting close. He started from scratch and it's idling more normally, revving free like it should, and the miss seems to be gone as well. The initial numbers, on a conservative tune, are 550 hp and 515 torque. Much more inline with what the car should actually be making, given the fact that I'm still running the base pulley and stock throttle body. We may swap out to a set of GT500 injectors to see what they'll do (the '13s came with 55 or 57 pounders). I feel confident that we'll end up around 575/520, and I'll be completely happy with that, especially if it's daily driveable smooth again.

Travis is going to be out of town for the next week, so I'm having them do the other little odds and ends while he's gone (look at the clutch, replace the off road x with a catted x, etc.). Hopefully, by the second week in September, I'll have her back and running good.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Good news, man! I haven't followed the entire story, but Is this an SCT tune I'm assuming?
TrueStreetTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
The 80 lb injectors were scaled back to about 55 pounds, the fuel trims looked pretty good, the timing tables were all over (probably why I made 625 to the wheels). I told him to just start over and see what he could do with it.

Talked to him today and it looks like we're getting close. He started from scratch and it's idling more normally, revving free like it should, and the miss seems to be gone as well. The initial numbers, on a conservative tune, are 550 hp and 515 torque. Much more inline with what the car should actually be making, given the fact that I'm still running the base pulley and stock throttle body.
So you lost about 100whp by switching to a better tune? Was the 625 supposedly on a conservative tune as well?

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
downtime!

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim View Post
Good news, man! I haven't followed the entire story, but Is this an SCT tune I'm assuming?
Yes, SCT. It's crazy how all over the charts things are, I'm really surprised the car ran as well as it did. I guess WOT isn't all that hard to tune for? LOL!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
downtime!

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
So you lost about 100whp by switching to a better tune? Was the 625 supposedly on a conservative tune as well?

-Alex
The 625 was a "Glory" run, done I'm sure completely for my benefit that day at the shop. It was loaded with extra timing and actually ran like shit. The tune I drove out on was closer to 575 and it was a bit more conservative. It drove pretty decent too. Looking back at it now, if the car can run 10.80's at 575, and I can have it driveable at that power level, I think I can live with that.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Dominic Toretto

The 625 was a "Glory" run, done I'm sure completely for my benefit that day at the shop. It was loaded with extra timing and actually ran like shit. The tune I drove out on was closer to 575 and it was a bit more conservative. It drove pretty decent too. Looking back at it now, if the car can run 10.80's at 575, and I can have it driveable at that power level, I think I can live with that.
Definitely. I would just think that if 625 was attainable on a crappy tune that, a good conservative tune could yield 600 easy. But you would know better than I. You're in the 10s already and I am still bone stock lol.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
downtime!

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
Definitely. I would just think that if 625 was attainable on a crappy tune that, a good conservative tune could yield 600 easy. But you would know better than I. You're in the 10s already and I am still bone stock lol.

-Alex
If we can get 600 and still be daily driveable, believe me, we will! I"m just saying I'll be happy with 575. Hell, after all the crap I've gone through, I'd be happy with 550! LOL!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Dark Pony
Supporting Member

Glad to hear things are going well bud. I sure hope Travis can get it dialed in right!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
re-rx7
Banned

550whp is a damn fun street car I'd imagine.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Oxford14Stang

Good to hear it's getting some progress. I'm going to hold you to your word about going to the track together and see what we can do! lol.

Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Dominic Toretto

If we can get 600 and still be daily driveable, believe me, we will! I"m just saying I'll be happy with 575. Hell, after all the crap I've gone through, I'd be happy with 550! LOL!
Trust me, with 575 to the wheels you have plenty to brag about.

-Alex

Old 08-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
downtime!

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang View Post
Good to hear it's getting some progress. I'm going to hold you to your word about going to the track together and see what we can do! lol.
Sounds like a plan to me! I need to get out and get some track time anyway. Hard to believe, but it's been close to 25 years since I've been down a legal strip around here. I usually drive at least 4 states away when I race.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #13
03MachMe

good to hear. I always liked travis. A lot more than the other tuner you had for sure lol

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
downtime!

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
good to hear. I always liked travis. A lot more than the other tuner you had for sure lol
LOL! I strayed from the fold. Always wanted to use the "other" guy, found out all I needed to know, will not be back.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
JDMLOL

Did you get it back? I think I saw you heading north on 287 today around 3.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote