Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Photos & Videos > Detailing

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
MnemonicGhost

Default Car wash routines

Hoping some of you guys divulge your trade secrets for a clean car. I live in McKinney, and have very hard water which can cause horrible water spots. I've been using the discontinued Mr. Clean autodry stuff, but have officially run out of the filters.

So what's the best option? Drive up to a self serve car wash and deal with the wind and overspray from everyone else? Or is there somethign else that is an affordable solution?

Mods thus far: JLT Oil Separator - MMD Hood Struts
MnemonicGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
merlinmol

I wash my car by hand top to bottom at a car wash, then use detail spray and a waffle weave to dry it.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Dan12GT

I live an apartment so I do not have the luxury of washing my car at home (soon I will). I use a local car wash (self spray wash). I bring my own buckets, soap, sponges, and shammy to dry. I use the 2 bucket method and basically all I use the car wash for is the high pressure water. I dry it there using a shammy. After I get it back home I wipe any excess water down with a micro fiber towl. I then proceed to use quick detail. I use the Zaino quick detail spray. This removes any water streaks left over from drying and looks fantastic. I am basically done after that if I am just doing a normal wash.

I actually am about to amp my efforts to a porter cable or Griot grarage polisher and really go to town.

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I use the two bucket method as well. It's the best method to reduce the risk of getting fine scratches on the paint. I NEVER use a public car wash for the Mustangs.

I also don't dry the car with a towel, but rather making a quick blast down the highway to air dry it. In the summertime you have to make sure you wash in the shade, or do it early in the morning before it gets too hot otherwise it will dry faster than you can wash leaving water stains. I really need to buy a leaf blower to dry the cars rather than going and blasting on the highway.lol.

I also have micorfibers and detail sprays in both of the Mustangs to keep up on it if I drive through some water in the road. Wylie/Sachse both are notorious for leaving the sprinklers on too long and/or watering the damn street instead of the grass!
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Dan12GT

I've heard the air dry method is the best to reduce risk of fine scratches but when it comes down to it you cannot eliminate the risk of getting fine scratches in the paint. That is why they make polishes and waxes for.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
I've heard the air dry method is the best to reduce risk of fine scratches but when it comes down to it you cannot eliminate the risk of getting fine scratches in the paint. That is why they make polishes and waxes for.
That's why I didn't buy another black car so fine scratches won't send my OCD into overdrive. lol.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Dan12GT

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That's why I didn't buy another black car so fine scratches won't send my OCD into overdrive. lol.
Ya I get pretty pissy when I see a new blemish. Black sucks but looks so awesome!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
MnemonicGhost

I too do the 2 bucket method with grit guards, and microfiber for all drying and waxing needs. But I still am having trouble with the hard water. I guess I'll try to wash in the morning next time, and that may buy me some time in drying the car off before the spots appear. I really didn't want to head down to a car wash, but I guess that is always an option. Better start loading up on quarters...

Mods thus far: JLT Oil Separator - MMD Hood Struts
MnemonicGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
merlinmol

Originally Posted by MnemonicGhost View Post
I too do the 2 bucket method with grit guards, and microfiber for all drying and waxing needs. But I still am having trouble with the hard water. I guess I'll try to wash in the morning next time, and that may buy me some time in drying the car off before the spots appear. I really didn't want to head down to a car wash, but I guess that is always an option. Better start loading up on quarters...
use detail spray on an area, then dry. It will help.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by MnemonicGhost View Post
Keeping a fresh wax job on the car really helps with the water spots as well. It won't stop it entirely because of all the crap we have in our water here in DFW but it will definetely help.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
moor3r

Wheels off, backside of wheels and fender wells. That's love or OCD.
moor3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #12
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by moor3r View Post
Wheels off, backside of wheels and fender wells. That's love or OCD.
And the suspension, oil pan, all the lower parts of the body, side rails, gas tank and picking all the bugs out of the front of the radiator, waxing the painted area of the door jams, rear seat belts buckled matching in a uniformed way (no twists or creases in the belts), vaccum the inside rear deck by the back window because of the dust that goes back there from driving with the windows down, clean the speaker covers

Definetly love.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
brtnstrns

... rear seat belts buckled matching in a uniformed way (no twists or creases in the belts)...
Haha. Good lord!

03 DSG Mach 1

Stroked/Forged, Heads, Cams, Long Runner Intake, Built Cobra IRS, Cobra Fuel System
brtnstrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
Courtesy Flush

And the suspension, oil pan, all the lower parts of the body, side rails, gas tank and picking all the bugs out of the front of the radiator, waxing the painted area of the door jams, rear seat belts buckled matching in a uniformed way (no twists or creases in the belts), vaccum the inside rear deck by the back window because of the dust that goes back there from driving with the windows down, clean the speaker covers

Definetly love.
OCD----
--
--
--(steve)
--
--
Anal Retentive----

Does the subaru commercial where the kids are soaping the interior and using toothpaste on the dials make you cringe? lol
Courtesy Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
OCD----
--
--
--(steve)
--
--
Anal Retentive----

Does the subaru commercial where the kids are soaping the interior and using toothpaste on the dials make you cringe? lol
First time I saw that and saw the Dad just pick up a sponge to help I yelled BS!! I'd beat those kids! lol.