Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:05 AM   #61
Crimson600+HP

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Sound like a QC issue with the piston.
Most likely. Who knows that piston may have held up if it was in a different cylinder besides #8. Things like this can happen in engineering for the masses like Ford. Hard to QC ever single part. Just wished this would have happened before the SC so it would be on Ford's dime instead of mine.

The guys at procharger were interested in then outcome too, they were stumped with what could be the problem. People were quick to blame tuners, but CTP is a great shop and Jeff is an awesome tuner. In my mind, all signs pointed to a metallurgy issue and I am glad that that was the problem and it didn't cause further damage. Now I can get back to building this car to run the Texas Mile
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #62
Crimson600+HP

Got to see the piston today. There was a chunk about 1.5" long just missing from the piston itself. Looking at the piston, you can see wavy lines (almost like wood grain) in the pattern of the break. The head was sent to a machine shop just for verification, looks like I will need at least one valve which isn't too bad. Once I get back from training in a month, I'll have pictures of everything and hopefully a running car.

Got to look at the block and everything, all the other pistons look great and the engine was running smoothly for the first 13000 miles. All signs definitely point at the failure in casting.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7

Last edited by Crimson600+HP; 02-08-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #63
BV600

That's awesome glad it was something simple. Now you can get that catch can to get rid of that blow by
Old 02-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #64
rriddle3

So no scoring or gouging of the cylinder wall?
2012 GT Automatic, Kona Blue w/Stone interior
The usual exhaust mods, JLT CAI, Brenspeed tune, BMR LCAs
rriddle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #65
Crimson600+HP

Originally Posted by BV600 View Post
That's awesome glad it was something simple. Now you can get that catch can to get rid of that blow by
I'll let you be the guinea pig for once on something. Once I get back I'll be sure to check that system out along with how it performs.

Originally Posted by rriddle3 View Post
So no scoring or gouging of the cylinder wall?
There doesn't appear to be any which is a stroke if luck. Eiter I got lucky and that piston piece went out the valve opening at the right moment or the metal disintegrated and left the engine. Surprising on no damage other than maybe one valve, but the block, cylinder walls, crank, & everything were fine. Even the ring was in perfect shape that normally melts...this is why all signs pointed to a bad part.

Either way, putting an MMR head cooling kit on to help cooling in the future. Now I can get back to looking for a car hauler/trailer and new tires for the upcoming race season/Texas Mile.
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Old 03-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #66
Crimson600+HP

Well, everything is back to normal now. All that was required was a new piston, new ring, and one valve. Compression is good, car dyno'd with similar results before catastrophic failure, and most importantly back in my garage getting final touches put on before the TX Mile.

I wish that this would have happened before I put the SC on, because it would have been completely under warranty by Ford. But this is the price we pay for modifying our cars. Either way, I am happy again...even though my wallet is a little lighter.
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Old 03-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #67
DirtyD

At least it was only 1 piston and accessories and not 8...Glad the car is back home though.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #68
Crimson600+HP

The exact feeling I had. My power levels were completely fine on stock internals, so I am glad that I didn't have to change all 8 with a forged set up. That money saved allowed me to put the down payment on the car trailer I just purchased.
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #69
El_Tortuga

Cool beans. Good luck at the TX mile.

You describe wavy lines. Any chance you could post a pic? Sounds like it might be fatigue crack propagation "beach marks" I.e. like waves in the sand, each cycle move the crack a little farther. You can trace back the initiation point where the lines are the closest. Final fracture will be one final progression
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #70
El_Tortuga

Also, the initiation will typically be darker, and the final fracture the lightest or brightest
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #71
Crimson600+HP

I don't have a picture of the piston itself right now. It was as you described though, like waves all coming from the base of the piston near one of the rings. Most likely the cylinder was hot enough where the ring closed the gap and there goes the piston. Once I get my hands on the piston, I'll be sure to check it out.

Last thing I have to do actually is a crank position relearn that has to be done at the Ford Dealer. Started throwing random misfires above 3K RPM. Something I didn't know had to happen and my mechanic forgot about. No big deal, appointment scheduled tomorrow morning because a Ford Dealer's IDS tool is the only thing that can do this. Too bad I have to return it to stock tune before they can do this procedure. Looks like my car will run shitty from the parking lot until they do this relearn procedure. Then I can return my custom tunes back on once they are done.

Getting closer every day to having my car fully back.
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Old 03-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #72
Dominic Toretto

Good luck man, so the Ford dealership will warrant fixing the part even knowing that the tune was altered?

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #73
Crimson600+HP

Oh no, they are doing anything as far as warranty work. This was done all with my rainy day fund and then some. This issue crankshaft position sensor relearn just has to be done with a Ford Dealer. They already told me that their time is worth whatever their hourly rate was. Which I responded with they will only be doing what I tell them to do then, no diagnostics or anything. I have to run the car with the supercharger on it on a completely stock tune for them to do this relearn, so I don't want them driving/running it anymore than they need to.
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7