Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #16
NAVAG

I pulled the side pipes off yesterday and bolted the blanks on just for shits and giggles and there wasn't any change in the drone. Needed to thoroughly clean the side pipes anyway. I'm thinking that the drone is not so much the sound of the exhaust but from the sound waves vibrating through the thin, uninsulated trunk skin.

Some people like it but since I daily drive, its not for me.
NAVAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #17
Boss949

I completely changed my set up by Kooks/ X/ GT500's and Resonator delete. No drone. The Boss side's were one of my favorite parts that came on the car. BUT, performance wins out!
Many times, when you want to get that perfect sound for you and your car, it takes some experimenting.

Think about Headers; biggest bang for the buck. I wish I would have installed them earlier. The 5.0 will really breathe and open up. If you don't want Cat Deletes; just get an X with Cats.

Here's a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f1ZI5UsX30
2013 Boss 302 PW, Recaro, Torsen, AED tune, Airaid CAI, MGW, Hotchkis Springs/LCA, Whiteline Relo, CHE K Member w/Torque Limiters, Griggs Torque Arm Kit, T/A rear girdle, Kenny Brown Pan Hard Bar, Whiteline Tranny Bushing, JPC Linelock, JPC stainless clutch line, MT ET Street Radials (when needed), , 2013 GT500 Quad Axle Backs, Kooks LT 1 3/4, O/R X Pipe, Resonator Delete, JPC Line Lock,JPC Clutch Line.

Last edited by Boss949; 07-18-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Boss949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #18
DirtyD

The Pypes are well known for drone.

I would look into another axle back. Borla and Magnaflow are the ones I would recommend.

I love my GT500s though.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #19
DirtyD

Here is a decent video of my current setup (watch in HD)

Stock manifolds -> Jegs 3" cat deletes -> MRT 3" Boss H-pipe -> Stock axle pipes with Dynomax race bullets -> GT500 single tips

Old 07-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #20
Boss949

Dirty D;

That sounds awesome. Had I stayed with H, I would have got the MRT. You can tell the diff between X and H. I prefer the deeper tone of H; but X was better for my set up for other reasons..
2013 Boss 302 PW, Recaro, Torsen, AED tune, Airaid CAI, MGW, Hotchkis Springs/LCA, Whiteline Relo, CHE K Member w/Torque Limiters, Griggs Torque Arm Kit, T/A rear girdle, Kenny Brown Pan Hard Bar, Whiteline Tranny Bushing, JPC Linelock, JPC stainless clutch line, MT ET Street Radials (when needed), , 2013 GT500 Quad Axle Backs, Kooks LT 1 3/4, O/R X Pipe, Resonator Delete, JPC Line Lock,JPC Clutch Line.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #21
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Boss949 View Post
Dirty D;

That sounds awesome. Had I stayed with H, I would have got the MRT. You can tell the diff between X and H. I prefer the deeper tone of H; but X was better for my set up for other reasons..
Listening to your car at TMS a few weeks back, yours does sounds excellent. I think with an X pipe, LTs help with the noise difference.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #22
Boss949

Funny you should mention TMS.

I was having difficulty driving; staging area and then car moving??? My left foot was slipping and letting clutch out!!!! I was blaming Scot (starter; LOL) couldn't fasten my chin strap with left hand, etc….

Went for Neurological test on 6/23; put me in MRI; found a glib blastoma brain tumor!!! took most of out on 6/25. I"m doing great; but there's road to travel. I can't drive for another month or so. Might have one of sons in law drive my car next Friday.

All of the neuro symptoms are gone! Operation on Wed 6/25 then home on Monday 6/30. Most folks, unfortunately have to go to rehab, etc. The Lord is really taking care of me and I haven't felt this good in a while. Another son in law took me and the Boss out a few days ago and had blast playing with a new Stingray!

Little off subject; but why not? I'm planning on living. Getting ready to order Forgestar CF 5's next week!!!
Old 07-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #23
NAVAG

GT500's are probably the way to go. Don't want to get rid of my side pipes. I'll pull the pype bombs off next weekend and post them in the for sale section. Maybe I could get an even swap for some GT500s.

Damn the Pype Bombs look good though....
Old 07-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
DirtyD

Seriously? Wow man, that definitely was someone looking out for you. Glad you are doing better!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #25
Boss949

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Seriously? Wow man, that definitely was someone looking out for you. Glad you are doing better!
Thanks. Yes, the last Friday I raced (6/20) on practice runs; I hit my Rev limiter twice (never do that); hit a cone on the left side at end of the run!!!

That's when I called my Dr. on Saturday morning. MRI, Monday; most of Tumor taken out Wed (6/25). All symptoms gone; no damage from op. I just can't drive for while and we have a road to go to beat this thing. But, God is in control; I've never felt better!

Thanks for asking

ps Navag, sorry for the thread jack

Last edited by Boss949; 07-18-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #26
NAVAG

Glad you're doing well. I understand. Sometimes going to the doctor and saying "I'm not feeling too good" turns into a trip to the operating room and a couple of months off of work...happened to my wife back in December. We weren't preparred for that sort of thing because we still had the same attitude toward our health thst we had in our 20's and 30's. Now it seems we had to turn a 180 , eat right, exercise a little, and start saving money in case something like that happens again...which is one of the reasons I've been going cheap with the car parts.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #27
Boss949

Navag, Appreciate that.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #28
MontanaBentley

If you decide to sell the H-pipe i'd love to buy it. PM me if you decide to sell.
MontanaBentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #29
NAVAG

After about 500 miles of driving most of the drone is out of the pype bombs. I lined the trunk with three cans of boom mat and lined the spare tire area with dyno mat and all the rattling is gone. I have the sound I want on the outside. The axle backs kind of drown out the side pipes but when down shifting you can still hear the gurgle pretty good. Still a little drone at 75 MPH but it isn't so loud that I want to shoot myself anymore. Think I'll hang onto this set up for a little while.

With the deep bass coming from the rear and the rumble coming from the side it definitely grabs a lot more attention. When pulling into a parklin lot or cruising down residential streets I see a lot of people checking out my car. I had a couple of people come check it out when I was getting gas and two people on I30 rev up next to me like they want to race.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #30
NAVAG

Going with a different set up.

Boss H-Pipe and Pype Bomb A/B are posted in the for sale section
$450 for H-Pipe and $250 for the Pype Bombs.