Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #76
46Tbird

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
From a roll stock to stock the stock rim car will be faster then same car with 20's and wider tires. No?
No, you can't say that with any certainty.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #77
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
I doubt it cause I broke those 235's loose going hwy speeds when I slammed it in 3rd.
QFT. 70 roll. LOL

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
A wider contact patch doesn't "soak up" power. It just creates a higher friction force of which the car has to overcome. The power output is the same. As long as the wheels being compared are close to the same overall diameter, the effective gear ratio will be unchanged, thus negligible tq "loss."

Your wheel barrow example doesn't apply here. They are designed to work with a skinny tire to provide the ability to lean as they turn/pivot.

A wagon would be a better example to compare with a car.

A larger tire gives you a larger area in which to spread the load. This means the object will handle better because the weight ir more distributed on the tire surface, making it handle more precisely. The only difference having a 235 on a wheel barrow would make would be the rolling resistance, but once it is rolling, you wouldn't be able to tell the 235 and 295 apart.
Lot more can go into that but yea pretty much.
Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
How the fuck did we get to how stock rims are better then 20" rims from whats the difference in year models?
Because 5.0 racecar.
Rotating mass if a big deal. The less weight you have to rotate means the motor will rev higher since the work being supplied to turn it is less, giving the motor more power to push itself forward and accelerate.
You dont say?
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #78
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
No, you can't say that with any certainty.
I cant but its an educated guess. Theory.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #79
Grandpa
I> /\/\

If Im wrong prove it.

Explain how Blck2012gt picked up power?
Look, I don't want to be rude to you, but sometimes we can't decide if you're trolling or seriously misinformed and some of your comments are so way off base at times it's crazy.

I asked you to explain how you came to determine your thoughts on the subject matter, and here you flip on me to prove you wrong? Seems a bit backwards to me.

But to simply answer your question, Jeff picked up power by simply decreasing the amount of rotating mass on his wheels allowing them to turn much easier. Reducing weight is just as good as making more power.

My forged 20's are lighter than your cast 18 inch wheels. The only argument you could possibly make is that a 20 inch wheel could change gearing if the same tire height was used, but it's not. By using a lower profile tire with my 20, the gearing is very near the same as it was with the stock 19 inch wheels/tires. So really, you are just incorrect and your argument is null and void.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #80
Grandpa
I> /\/\

QFT. 70 roll. LOL

Lot more can go into that but yea pretty much.

Because 5.0 racecar.

You dont say?
Ok, now you're just trolling.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #81
46Tbird

I cant but its an educated guess. Theory.
Great theory, but my "heavy" 20s have made my stock untuned car quicker than a bunch of modded ones. You might want to rethink your theory.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #82
Courtesy Flush

So what tire size should i be running on my wheel barrow?
Courtesy Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #83
Dominic Toretto

The REAL problem with the rear of these cars is the gigantic dinner-plate sized 'faux gas cap' they tacked to the back of each and every one of them, and they scaled-up the tail lights to match. Bleh.
Agreed, I plan on getting the delete kit for that myself. Just the blackout strip that goes across the decklid. Not tinting or modding the lights at all though.

No, just no.

His wheels weight as much as your stock 18s do. The only thing Steve would be lacking in would be cornering ability as his sidewall is much shorter than yours, but it would be made up by the fact his tires have a full 2-3 inches more surface contact to the pavement than your 18s have.

rotating mass > static/unsprung (dead) mass all day long.
Great theory, but my "heavy" 20s have made my stock untuned car quicker than a bunch of modded ones. You might want to rethink your theory.
Since the thread is already derailed I will add my 2 cents about wheels.

From what I have read, the most significant reason manufacturer's have to increase wheel size is to be able to use larger brake rotors and calipers. That's really about it. That's the real reason I personally did not want to go with 20s because of the increased weight of a larger wheel and not planning to go with a big break kit to justify the look. There are several factors to consider with whether or not a bigger wheel is performance-wise justifiable.

Weight
Size
Barrell diameter (for brakes of course)
Build process

My car came with 18X8 inch wheels. I don't have to by 20 inch wheels to increase contact patch. I could easily(and cheaper) select a 18X11, be marginally heavier assuming the wheels are cast like stock, and have a far greater tire choice to go with, while being able to keep braking as best as possible. Now also keep in mind that if I go from a 18X8 to a 20X11 that is forged it would potentially weigh marginally less if not the same. In that case then it makes performance as well as visual sense. However, I am not one of the ballers on this forum and don't plan on spending $4,000 for wheels alone. Yes, quality forged wheels can run that much, HRE, Forgeline etc.

Also consider this about wheel size. It takes a 20inch rim longer to completely rotate than an 18inch wheel respectively. That's why you don't see professional drag racers running huge wheel setups. For those looking to set records, they will not choose a larger wheel, in fact they either go with 18s or SMALLER with a fat DR to hook up with skinny up front.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #84
46Tbird

Don't overthink it.

We're talking about 12 second cars. lmao
Old 07-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #85
Dominic Toretto

Don't overthink it.

We're talking about 12 second cars. lmao
Not overthinking it at all. I'm just giving as much information as I have. Since we are discussing wheels on performance cars, why not discuss which wheels give the best performance ?

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #86
Sieran

This thread made me seriously reconsider how i pronounce the word wheelbarrow (i always thought it was wheelbarrel).
Sieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #87
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
Also consider this about wheel size. It takes a 20inch rim longer to completely rotate than an 18inch wheel respectively. That's why you don't see professional drag racers running huge wheel setups. For those looking to set records, they will not choose a larger wheel, in fact they either go with 18s or SMALLER with a fat DR to hook up with skinny up front.

-Alex
Actually, I don't think it is necessarily the weight factor. Pros don't run larger wheels simply because of the massive amounts of TQ being applied at the wheels upon launching the car. They need as much flexible sidewall as they can possibly get to gain traction.

Plus, launching on a large wheels just increases the chances of snapping the center of the wheel from the torque stress being applied to the core of the wheel's hub. They cast a thick, small OD wheels that will give them the lowest rotating mass as possible while providing the highest strength possible.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #88
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Actually, I don't think it is necessarily the weight factor. Pros don't run larger wheels simply because of the massive amounts of TQ being applied at the wheels upon launching the car. They need as much flexible sidewall as they can possibly get to gain traction.

Plus, launching on a large wheels just increases the chances of snapping the center of the wheel from the torque stress being applied to the core of the wheel's hub. They cast a thick, small OD wheels that will give them the lowest rotating mass as possible while providing the highest strength possible.
This guy gets it.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #89
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Sieran View Post
This thread made me seriously reconsider how i pronounce the word wheelbarrow (i always thought it was wheelbarrel).
I've always known the real way, but saying "barrel" is more fun.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote