Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:24 AM   #1
wbt

Default Flaming River rack and pinion install

Over the past several months I have been working on and looking into ways to make my car a bit more efficient. Part of this plan was to install a manual rack and pinion into the car. Since Ford no longer offers the CJ manual rack and pinion, the only other option is the Flaming River S197 piece including the steering knuckle.
http://www.uprproducts.com/flaming-r...on-fr1515.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/flaming-r...l-fr1709d.html

Before embarking on the install I wanted to measure the weight difference over the stock EPAS unit. The weight saving's is ~23lbs. (EPAS=~37lbs., FR R&P=~14lbs.)

I am using the UPR k-member which has provisions for the EPAS however there are no issues with mounting the S197 manual rack. A couple of notes about the install:

1. The rack to k-member mounts will need to be adjusted to get the proper angle for steering shaft to rack alignment. This is accomplished my removing the allen screws for the mounts and rotating them. I left the mounts loose until I was satisfied with the location on the k-member and were tightened after the bolts that mount the rack to the k-member are snug.

2. Install the steering knuckle onto the rack before installing into the car. Before getting the rack secured, insert the steering shaft into the knuckle and then secure the rack to the k-member. Remember to use loctite on the allen screws and locking nuts.

3. The clearance for the steering knuckle and the k-member is tight. Be sure to rotate the steering wheel several turns to make sure there are no clearance issues. With my install there is ~1/16" of clearance between the knuckle and k-member.

4. I reused the factory tie rod ends.

5. EPAS wiring. For this I used some cable ties and secured to the main wiring harness that attaches near the oil pan.

Many thanks to UPR and Sharad for their support.

Pics of the install:

wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:12 AM   #2
BlackStang08

Nice, is this done on a daily driver? Also what are those pipes in the 2nd to last pics?

600rwhp 550rwtq - 93 Octane Tune
BlackStang08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
wbt

Originally Posted by BlackStang08 View Post
Nice, is this done on a daily driver? Also what are those pipes in the 2nd to last pics?
I don't drive on the street much with this car however it was inspected and tagged current as of last month. I would have no issues with the manual steering for a DD.

The pipes in the photo are of the driver side header.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote