Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Lucky13

Default MGW Shifter Install

Couple things. I'm not super happy with the way my 13 GT shifts. Super hard to make the 2-3 under hard acceleration. Seems to be the consensus here and elsewhere that the stock shifter sucks.

1. Everything I read steers me to the MGW. Any cons out there besides price?

2. The install video on MGWs site is good and looks straight forward. Has anyone done this from ramps or jacks NOT a lift? Experiences?

Thanks in advance!

~Aaron

Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
DirtyD

Are you trying to manhandle the 2-3 shift? I've found if you push the shifter out of 2nd, let the shifter return to center on it's own, and just push up to 3rd, it really helps with lockout.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Lucky13

Honestly? Yeah. I manhandle the shit out of this car! LOL! I can get it there, it's just annoying. Really want to be able to jam it. I'm not much on finesse.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Really want to be able to jam it. I'm not much on finesse.

Expensive accidents happen that way!

I have an mgw, but I hear a two post bracket along with the whiteline trans bushing works wonders and that combo can be had for less than $100 I believe.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Lucky13

Do you like it? How was the install?

Old 07-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Do you like it? How was the install?

Yes, I like it. I had it installed though, I didn't want to do the install on jacks. Third gear lock outs have been greatly reduced (the shortened throw takes a little getting used to). I can't remember how long it has been since I have missed third. It's a very pretty piece being fully machined and made of anodized aluminum, but it was pricey. If I did it over again I probably would have felt a Barton and MGW car side by side to determine if the MGW was worth the premium price.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
Old 07-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
JDMLOL

Btw, I have noticed that if I'm easier on the shifter in general and slide the shifter into gear missed shifts are reduced as well. Every time I have missed a gear it was because I was death gripping the knob cramming it into gear.

The Queen:
Old 07-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Lucky13

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
Btw, I have noticed that if I'm easier on the shifter in general and slide the shifter into gear missed shifts are reduced as well. Every time I have missed a gear it was because I was death gripping the knob cramming it into gear.
I keep missing third when trying to better my 1/4 times on the Track Apps. I've tried it easy and hard. Keep missing. Maybe the MGW can make up for shitty driving?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
my95z28

Not being an ass here, speaking from experience and hoping to keep you from making the same mistake as I did. Missed, hard shifts and banging into the engagement teeth of the gears and that MT-82 is gonna go boom in a hurry. I blew up a notoriously strong t56 in a 300whp car by being rough on it, broke all the engagement teeth off of second gear. After that I learned how to shift quickly, but not harshly and kept a transmission that was much weaker than the MT-82 alive behind a car of similar power. Let the shifter do the work by guiding it through the gears, not manhandling it. I found the best way to do this was by placing my hand on the side of the shifter or back of it depending on which gear I was going for, example on the 2-3 only push forward on the shifter from behind. Push it out of 2nd gear, let the centering springs do the work to push it back to center, then forward to 3rd.

All of this being said, I know that the springs in the stock shifter are very weak so the MGW is still gonna be a great upgrade that will improve shift times and confidence in the car.

Last edited by my95z28; 07-07-2014 at 08:22 PM.
my95z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
Lucky13

Originally Posted by my95z28 View Post
Not being an ass here, speaking from experience and hoping to keep you from making the same mistake as I did. Missed, hard shifts and banging into the engagement teeth of the gears and that MT-82 is gonna go boom in a hurry. I blew up a notoriously strong t56 in a 300whp car by being rough on it, broke all the engagement teeth off of second gear. After that I learned how to shift quickly, but not harshly and kept a transmission that was much weaker than the MT-82 alive behind a car of similar power. Let the shifter do the work by guiding it through the gears, not manhandling it. I found the best way to do this was by placing my hand on the side of the shifter or back of it depending on which gear I was going for, example on the 2-3 only push forward on the shifter from behind. Push it out of 2nd gear, let the centering springs do the work to push it back to center, then forward to 3rd.

All of this being said, I know that the springs in the stock shifter are very weak so the MGW is still gonna be a great upgrade that will improve shift times and confidence in the car.
No worries on being an ass. Im not easily butthurt.

I'm gonna keep trying new things while working on faster times. What you described is exactly how I drive in normal traffic and such and it works great. It's just that high RPM shift 2-3 that is alluding me.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
El_Tortuga

Ditto on the smooth is fast mantra. Precision >> than being forcefull. Let that centering spring help you find the 2-3 gate.

Barton guy here. I do like their version which keeps the gate side-side (2-3, 4-50spacing as wide as stock, but shorter front to back throws (1-2, 3-4, 5-6) I've driven MGW and honestly didn't like the front to back throw length. MGW was smoother. Either way is light years ahead of stock so its kind of like debating Canon vs Nikon cameras. They are clearly the class of the field. Just adding bracket and trans bushing is very much a valid upgrade too.
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #12
Lucky13

I appreciate all the responses. Very helpful.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Are you trying to manhandle the 2-3 shift? I've found if you push the shifter out of 2nd, let the shifter return to center on it's own, and just push up to 3rd, it really helps with lockout.
That's why your car is slow as shit, you drive like a woman.

The MGW is a solid piece and will greatly help. Part of the problem with the MT-82 is that WOT the drivetrain geometry changes and moves around getting on and off the throttle. That's why the bushing changes seem to help so much as well.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #14
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
That's why your car is slow as shit, you drive like a woman.

The MGW is a solid piece and will greatly help. Part of the problem with the MT-82 is that WOT the drivetrain geometry changes and moves around getting on and off the throttle. That's why the bushing changes seem to help so much as well.
When will you find some new material? Sounds like a broken record over here.

Funny how 2 other people have seconded my exact words about that shifting procedure.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
When will you find some new material? Sounds like a broken record over here.

Funny how 2 other people have seconded my exact words about that shifting procedure.
When you're no longer so damn slow. Running 13's with a car that should be easy mid 12's, you should just be embarrassed of yourself. lol
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote