Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
brtnstrns

Default Exhaust system

So the Mach 1 I just picked up has long tube headers, off road mid pipe and SLP LM1 exhaust. Its good for inspection till next year but I don't want to mess with it failing once the time comes.

Is there absolutely no way that long tube headers can pass inspection in the DFW area, even if the mid pipe is catted? I'm not trying to run around the law but want to know what my options are so I can plan for swapping out my exhaust if need be.

Also, if I end up having to swap everything back to stock length headers and catted mid pipe, how much power should I expect to lose from it?

Thanks!
brtnstrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Eaglei532

Just get a catted-X, you'll pass. The only thing illegal about your exhaust right now is not having catalytic converters.

RIP Chris Kyle
Eaglei532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
brtnstrns

Originally Posted by Eaglei532 View Post
Just get a catted-X, you'll pass. The only thing illegal about your exhaust right now is not having catalytic converters.
Gotcha. I think I'll definitely go with that setup. Its a bit too loud for my tastes as it is anyway...but that may be because of the LM1s.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Grandpa
I> /\/\

The longtubes is not makes it not pass, it's the removal of the cats and that only applies if the inspector actually does a visual inspection to see if they are on the car. As long as your car isn't throwing a code of any kind or not in a "not ready" state, you'll be fine. My Mach hasn't had the cats on it for over 8 years and I've never had an issue getting it to pass.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
brtnstrns

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The longtubes is not makes it not pass, it's the removal of the cats and that only applies if the inspector actually does a visual inspection to see if they are on the car. As long as your car isn't throwing a code of any kind or not in a "not ready" state, you'll be fine. My Mach hasn't had the cats on it for over 8 years and I've never had an issue getting it to pass.
I haven't gotten a chance to give it a good look-over (I will tomorrow) but don't the LTs usually remove or displace the O2 sensors and how does that affect the code throwing?
Old 11-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Emwun Garand

Does the car have the EGR system still intact? If not, it will throw an EGR not ready

I also got Catalyst not ready, 2 not ready = no pass. I just paid a dude $80 for a sticker
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
brtnstrns

Originally Posted by Emwun Garand View Post
Does the car have the EGR system still intact? If not, it will throw an EGR not ready

I also got Catalyst not ready, 2 not ready = no pass. I just paid a dude $80 for a sticker
I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow when I tear into it. And yeah that seems to be the common approach at passing cars with the bad exhaust...just can't imagine how you would start that conversation ("So uh....my cars not going to pass....here's an extra 50 bucks?")
Old 11-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
04sleeper
King of the Multi-quotes

You have to adjust in the tune for no cats. You can keep them turned "On" but makes some other tweaks to not show a chack engine light.
04sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
brtnstrns

Another question I have:

Since my set up is long tube headers, O/R X pipe and SLP LM1s, how much quieter would it be with a Catted H-Pipe and Chambered mufflers? This bitch is way too loud for my tastes and I'm sure every single person in my apartment complex thinks I'm a raging douchenozzle
Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Fair

We've had ARH 1-7/8" long tubes and their catted X-pipe on our car for nearly 2 years, passes emissions every time. No codes, no issues.

This 2011 GT makes 430 whp with this set of headers + catted X-pipe, with our own custom 3" exhaust from the cats back + Steeda cold air. Dyno tuned with an SCT by True Street in McKinney. Emissions legal.

We've done some one-off custom exhaust systems also, like on this Boss 302-S race car, above.