Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
GTRacerX

Default Aftermarket Heads

I know the stock heads flow pretty well, but are there any good aftermarket heads that flow better or anywhere that can port the stock heads?
GTRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
re-rx7
Banned

From what ive read its a tough mision to improve the stock heads.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
46Tbird

The stock Coyote head flows more on the intake than Yates Ford Nascar head. Not a fair comparison exactly, since you're comparing two intake ports and valves to one, but it just shows you that they move a lot of air.

No one makes aftermarket heads for these engines yet. A few places will port them but there is a lot more room for making a mistake than there is for improvement. Jeff's heads have a Stage III porting job but I don't know who did them for TSM.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
re-rx7
Banned

So basically Port the Exhaust side and leave the Intke alone?
Old 07-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
46Tbird

No, leave them completely alone and find other ways to build power. Unless you're trying to set n/a Coyote records...
Old 07-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
No, leave them completely alone and find other ways to build power. Unless you're trying to set n/a Coyote records...
What about a valve job? 5 angle?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

The stock Coyote head flows more on the intake than Yates Ford Nascar head. Not a fair comparison exactly, since you're comparing two intake ports and valves to one, but it just shows you that they move a lot of air.

No one makes aftermarket heads for these engines yet. A few places will port them but there is a lot more room for making a mistake than there is for improvement. Jeff's heads have a Stage III porting job but I don't know who did them for TSM.
TSM does in house porting now. But I have no clue who they sent my heads to get them done.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Toby

The stock Coyote head flows more on the intake than Yates Ford Nascar head.
Crack is a bad thing...
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
46Tbird

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Crack is a bad thing...
"The Coyote head at a given lift actually outflows a Yates D3 head." Now that Adam Christian, internal combustion engineering analyst, has your attention, "It's a Four-Valve, right, we're cheating [The radical Yates NASCAR race head is a two-valve.-Ed.], but up to our peak lift, 13mm, we're actually out-flowing the Yates head. And that pretty much means we're outflowing Brand X, Y, and Z."

So you are right, only up to ~.500" lift, but that is still pretty damned respectable.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...e/viewall.html

Last edited by 46Tbird; 07-05-2013 at 10:49 PM.
46Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Toby

"The Coyote head at a given lift actually outflows a Yates D3 head." Now that Adam Christian, internal combustion engineering analyst, has your attention, "It's a Four-Valve, right, we're cheating [The radical Yates NASCAR race head is a two-valve.-Ed.], but up to our peak lift, 13mm, we're actually out-flowing the Yates head. And that pretty much means we're outflowing Brand X, Y, and Z."

So you are right, only up to ~.500" lift, but that is still pretty damned respectable.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...e/viewall.html
Absolutely, but as you said its not really a fair comparo as both heads are designed in polar opposites in terms of their usage. Also one is a design from the 90's the other is 20 years newer. Take into consideration just a good valve job on a yates head will net 20-30 cfm and it out flows the coyote heads from the word go.

The heads on the new coyote engines are pretty badass out of the box but as with everything, they can be improved. Although not very cost effective when compared to nitrous or boost, when you are dealing with only 302 ci, the power number gain may not be much, but look at it on a % gain. When you can do basic hci on a coyote and make damn near 500 rwhp with a stock bottom end, that computes roughly 1.6 hp/ci thats fucking huge!!! Technology has improved so much in the past few years its crazy! I am in the process of putting together an engine package for a dirt track car. Plans are to run 302 ci old school sbf and get around 400 fwhp using stock bottom end, stock iron heads with 0 port work allowed and only using a 380 cfm carb.... talk about a challenge.. haha
Old 07-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
GTRacerX

So basically at this point the cost doesn't outweigh the performance gain?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #12
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by GTRacerX View Post
Well with cams and basic bolt ons I made 466rwhp. With ported heads, bump compression and e85 I picked up another 60 rwhp. So basically you will be spending around 2k for at least the heads and the e85. No clue if the bump compression helped or not.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Toby

You will pick up 20-30 hp with ported heads
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
kn7671

Originally Posted by GTRacerX View Post
I think exactly the opposite, the cost does outweigh the performance gains.

If there is ever an aftermarket head designed for this motor, if will likely be a few years off, but for now, Ford Racing will gladly sell you some fully CNC ported Boss 302S/R versions for $2700.

Unfortunately, you can perform an entire list of upgrayedd's that will pick up as much or more power than the heads alone without going into the engine itself, but if you have ambitions to build a motor without a power adder, then the Ford Racing M-6049-M50BR and M-6050-M50BR heads might be on that list.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
GTRacerX

Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
I think exactly the opposite, the cost does outweigh the performance gains.

If there is ever an aftermarket head designed for this motor, if will likely be a few years off, but for now, Ford Racing will gladly sell you some fully CNC ported Boss 302S/R versions for $2700.

Unfortunately, you can perform an entire list of upgrayedd's that will pick up as much or more power than the heads alone without going into the engine itself, but if you have ambitions to build a motor without a power adder, then the Ford Racing M-6049-M50BR and M-6050-M50BR heads might be on that list.
Excellent that's good to know for future reference.