Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
downtime!

I've got the one no one talks about anymore, Kenne Bell 2.8LC kit. Makes 602/525 on an insanely conservative tune. Idles and drives like a stocker. I've daily driven it like this since for nearly a year now (installed in December of 2012) and have no ill effects at all. And I am not known for being easy on her, LOL! Engine and trans (M6) are all still bone stock.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
GTOphil

Where would I look for the best TVS kit?

By "best " I mean least headache and money- not the most power.

I only want 500-600, no need to go beyond that. I've been looking at the Paxton kit for about $5k.

I do not race at all- it'll be purely for personal fun and speed. Ideas? Suggestions?
GTOphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
PLASMAN

Originally Posted by GTOphil View Post
Where would I look for the best TVS kit?

By "best " I mean least headache and money- not the most power.

I only want 500-600, no need to go beyond that. I've been looking at the Paxton kit for about $5k.

I do not race at all- it'll be purely for personal fun and speed. Ideas? Suggestions?
Check out VMPTuning.com for TVS kits, and they ate a forum sponsor also. Send a pm to VNMOUS1 on here and he will take care of you or [email protected]
mods to be put on:
MAK 3" Offroad downpipe, FR Intercooler, Meth kit, SSI T5 Tune

Totaled:
2013 GT/CS A6
Steeda CAI/ VMP Tune/GT500 AB/JEGS CAT DELETES/
STEEDA UCA/LCA'S/ EIBACH PRO KIT STRUTS/ FRPP K SPRINGS/ BMR PANHARD BAR / Shelby Razors 20's
PLASMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
GTOphil

What's the arrival of power difference between a TVS and Paxton?
Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
2011gt/cs

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
I've got the one no one talks about anymore, Kenne Bell 2.8LC kit. Makes 602/525 on an insanely conservative tune. Idles and drives like a stocker. I've daily driven it like this since for nearly a year now (installed in December of 2012) and have no ill effects at all. And I am not known for being easy on her, LOL! Engine and trans (M6) are all still bone stock.
Good to know. I haven't seen any KB cars for sale. Just the centri and TVS/whipple cars
2011gt/cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #21
Grandpa
I> /\/\

What's the arrival of power difference between a TVS and Paxton?
The TVS is nearly an instant hit into boost. As long as you have the basic suspension and a good tire on the car it will hold fairly well once you get the hang of it.

A Paxton will make peak boost at the top of your RPM powerband. It's not as a strong hit as a roots style blower, but rather a more linear pull much like a turbo car does. You won't have the issues of just blowing the tires off as much as a TVS car does. A Paxton would be a more forgiving street car, but you will find yourself playing catch up against roots style cars chasing them down.

The VMP kit is abit of an overkill for a stockblocked car, but it has more room to grow than the standard Roush kit and won't heatsoak nearly as much.

As I said earlier, you can buy a Paxton for $4615 as the base kit with ID1000's. But you will still need a new tank cuz the Paxton one is a POS, spark plugs, BAP and a JLT intake and a slim fan.

$4615
jlt intake is $169
standard bap is $259
programmable or roush plug and play is $409

plugs are either kit, you should do $85.

moroso tanks are around $269 I believe

That there is $5397 not including the slim fan.

The VMP kit is $5500 right now with everything included. So the kits are very close together in price, you just have to figure out what works best for you.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
merlinmol

I have a Magnuson TVS 2.3 and love it. Mine, like JDBishop's is not a daily.

Steve, why do you say that the VMP has more potential than the Roush and will not heatsoak as much? I like that you answer posts but you have none of these kits on your car and you seem to only talk about the ones you favor at the time. In truth the VMP, Roush and Magnuson TVS kits all use the same Eaton rotors in them. This basically means the casing is the difference. Then from there it goes to installation. I know you said you like VMP because you don't have to splice any wires, but hell you don't have to do that with the Magnuson either. If ease of install is what you want as far as I am aware the Magnuson is the easiest of the TVS' to install. Did mine in about 3.5 hours from start to finish.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #23
GTOphil

Thanks Steve. I alresdy have a tuner- the Paxton sounds best when I feel confortable letting $5k go.

I don't race on the street, just want the power for myself and I'm used to turbo feel.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #24
2011gt/cs

Originally Posted by merlinmol View Post
I have a Magnuson TVS 2.3 and love it. Mine, like JDBishop's is not a daily.

Steve, why do you say that the VMP has more potential than the Roush and will not heatsoak as much? I like that you answer posts but you have none of these kits on your car and you seem to only talk about the ones you favor at the time. In truth the VMP, Roush and Magnuson TVS kits all use the same Eaton rotors in them. This basically means the casing is the difference. Then from there it goes to installation. I know you said you like VMP because you don't have to splice any wires, but hell you don't have to do that with the Magnuson either. If ease of install is what you want as far as I am aware the Magnuson is the easiest of the TVS' to install. Did mine in about 3.5 hours from start to finish.
I obviously can't answer for Steve, but the reason why I would think he said the VMP has more potential is because of the stage three you can buy. The stage 3 is good for 800rwhp out of the box. It's pretty much plug and play. Has ID injectors and the heatsoak thing, VMP has their heat exchanger which works very well. It also has the JLT CAI standard and option for bigger TB as well as comes with the ported inlet and elbow. It's basically everything you need wrapped up into one whole package at a pretty decent price.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #25
BERT
I love tube socks

I vote procharger but that's just me. Have always loved them. Had one for a bit on my fox coupe. Plus they sound the best lol
Can't stand the root style sound
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #26
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by merlinmol View Post
The VMP kit simply doesn't heatsoak like a regular Roush kit will. With its greater cooling mods, big AFCO fans and more efficient intercooler it's runs quite abit cooler than other kits by design. Starkey purposely designed the kit for high temp road course action to whereas the normal Roush kit doesn't share those same components.

I fully understand why you have the Magnuson unit. Anyone here in your position would have done the same thing buying that kit for what you paid for it! Had you had to pay full price like the rest of us, I seriously doubt you would have bought that kit for one that has more potential. The Magnuson is by far and away the most inferior of all the kits available for the Mustang. The reason the kit so easy to install is because the intercooler is so small there is no modifications needed to slide it in. If Magnuson was serious about performance for that blower they would support it better, hell they would have given it a proper inlet to flow some air, but they didn't.

Any blower is fun for these cars, including yours. It's just not ever going to be the go to choice for Stangers for many reasons.

Thanks Steve. I alresdy have a tuner- the Paxton sounds best when I feel confortable letting $5k go.

I don't race on the street, just want the power for myself and I'm used to turbo feel.
Awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with either blower really. With the large powerband of these cars being able to spin them so high I'm sure that big 2200 head unit will be a blast to drive!

Originally Posted by 2011gt/cs View Post
I obviously can't answer for Steve, but the reason why I would think he said the VMP has more potential is because of the stage three you can buy. The stage 3 is good for 800rwhp out of the box. It's pretty much plug and play. Has ID injectors and the heatsoak thing, VMP has their heat exchanger which works very well. It also has the JLT CAI standard and option for bigger TB as well as comes with the ported inlet and elbow. It's basically everything you need wrapped up into one whole package at a pretty decent price.
Precisely.

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
I vote procharger but that's just me. Have always loved them. Had one for a bit on my fox coupe. Plus they sound the best lol
Can't stand the root style sound
They are certainly very loud. lol.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #27
J.Shoot

Default Procharger....

I think it comes down to driving style. I have a D-1 Procharger on my Boss. It is "not" a daily driver, however it does drive like stock still. The powercurve for the D-1 is higher than the roots style but it makes it very easy to cruise around town and drive "normal" if that's how you choose to drive. Just my .02 cents.

Any of them will make for a lot of fun when you mash the gas pedal.....

J.Shoot
2013 Boss 302 #2602
D1 Procharger
So many mods I can't remember them all.
Built and Tuned by True Street

J.Shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #28
merlinmol

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
The VMP kit simply doesn't heatsoak like a regular Roush kit will. With its greater cooling mods, big AFCO fans and more efficient intercooler it's runs quite abit cooler than other kits by design. Starkey purposely designed the kit for high temp road course action to whereas the normal Roush kit doesn't share those same components.

I fully understand why you have the Magnuson unit. Anyone here in your position would have done the same thing buying that kit for what you paid for it! Had you had to pay full price like the rest of us, I seriously doubt you would have bought that kit for one that has more potential. The Magnuson is by far and away the most inferior of all the kits available for the Mustang. The reason the kit so easy to install is because the intercooler is so small there is no modifications needed to slide it in. If Magnuson was serious about performance for that blower they would support it better, hell they would have given it a proper inlet to flow some air, but they didn't.

Any blower is fun for these cars, including yours. It's just not ever going to be the go to choice for Stangers for many reasons.
In truth any of the kits can be upgraded without a problem to increase power, or address the heatsoaking. However, I do see where you are coming from. I agree that if there is an out of the box solution to address some of these then why not get it without the extra headache involved with ordering other components on the side, but to say that you can't get the same power or cooling out of them isn't necessarily true. It just depends on your plans and what you are trying to do with it. In my case it doesn't matter which kit I have because the car was built for the street/road course, not really much of a need for more power. You are also correct in that anyone who got the deal I did would not have blinked an eye to buy the kit, too good to pass up.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #29
downtime!

Same reason I have a KB on mine instead of twins. Deal was too good to pass up.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #30
2011gt/cs

Originally Posted by J.Shoot View Post
I think it comes down to driving style. I have a D-1 Procharger on my Boss. It is "not" a daily driver, however it does drive like stock still. The powercurve for the D-1 is higher than the roots style but it makes it very easy to cruise around town and drive "normal" if that's how you choose to drive. Just my .02 cents.

Any of them will make for a lot of fun when you mash the gas pedal.....

J.Shoot
I do agree that in all honesty, these cars with any type of FI would be a blast to drive! I also agree with everyone about not passing up a great deal on something even if it isn't the kit on the top of your list. I do know, personally, the procharger is towards the bottom of my list and I'm looking for a replacement car that has Nav and heated seats like mine. But lets say I found a car like yours J.Shoot and the deal was just too good to pass up; I would buy it in a heartbeat!