Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Rreemo

Default How's your MPG?

I finally ran out my first tank over the weekend, and while the dash was saying 14.6 avg, I hand calculated it to be 19.1. I've been pretty easy on it so far as well....haven't taken it over 4000-4200 rpm, and this has been mostly city driving, but some mix. I'm thinking 19 is pretty good for the first tank...I know it will get better over time too, as it learns driving strategy, etc.

On the fuel subject...was also wondering what grade you guys are running and if you can tell a difference. This being the first tank that the dealer filled, I'm pretty sure it was probably just 87.
Rreemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
SNEAKY

They 93 and get more mpg out of it. Nit sure of the price/milage break down. Ours averaged 22-23 on te dash . Toll way and 380 back and forth from Denton to Allen .
Old 08-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
DirtyD

Not sure what the algorithms look like on these cars for the inboard MPG calcs, but I'm pretty sure it can't be THAT much difference between the two. The only thing I can figure that would cause that would be resetting the onboard MPG without resetting the trip od.

Also, to truely break in these cars, you need to beat them into the ground for at least the first 1000 miles. Big discussion about the break-in procedures for modern cars. Days of being light are over. Vary the RPMs as much as possible, and give it some short spurts of spirited driving to help the ring seat better.

Back on topic, I have been through 5 fillups since I bought the car. 1 via dealer (87) and 4 myself (3-93 & 1-91 in OK). I have seen anywhere from 14.7 (14.5 in-dash) up to 21 (20.5 in-dash) on a full tank. As far as highest period on the in-dash readout, I've seen 23.6 on a stretch of highway driving @ 70 this past weekend.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Rreemo View Post
Title was supposed to be "How's" your MPG....fat-fingered that one!
Fixed it for ya sir. I've gotten as much as 27mpg btw.

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Not sure what the algorithms look like on these cars for the inboard MPG calcs, but I'm pretty sure it can't be THAT much difference between the two. The only thing I can figure that would cause that would be resetting the onboard MPG without resetting the trip od.

Also, to truely break in these cars, you need to beat them into the ground for at least the first 1000 miles. Big discussion about the break-in procedures for modern cars. Days of being light are over. Vary the RPMs as much as possible, and give it some short spurts of spirited driving to help the ring seat better.

Back on topic, I have been through 5 fillups since I bought the car. 1 via dealer (87) and 4 myself (3-93 & 1-91 in OK). I have seen anywhere from 14.7 (14.5 in-dash) up to 21 (20.5 in-dash) on a full tank. As far as highest period on the in-dash readout, I've seen 23.6 on a stretch of highway driving @ 70 this past weekend.
LMAO, then I might be screwed because I have yet to really open my car up and I've got 3k miles on it.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Fixed it for ya sir. I've gotten as much as 27mpg btw.

LMAO, then I might be screwed because I have yet to really open my car up and I've got 3k miles on it.
That's just coming from 98% of the guys on SVTP. Many threads and discussions about breaking them in. They say that if you are light on the motor now, it won't really like it when you beat it later down the road. Where as, the earlier and more often you beat it, the more it will thank you later.

^That's sig worthy right there.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Grandpa
I> /\/\

How would anyone know that for a fact before anyone has had a chance to put high miles on one to come to that conclusion? lol.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
How would anyone know that for a fact before anyone has had a chance to put high miles on one to come to that conclusion? lol.
honestly, IDK.

But i still beat my car regardless. It's just too much fun!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
UT5.0

With my tune driving 60mph i get 28+ mpg and 25+mpg going 80. Tunes give better gas mileage for some reason
Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
DirtyD

Because the Ford tune is more of a conservative, generic vehicle tune, I'm sure. I know Shaun at AED garuantees a min. of 3 MPG increase over stock under 2k RPM. I haven't really seen the true hwy MPG on my car yet, but hoping to this weekend. Might take it out for a nice little drive.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
Doug1227

My commute to work (8 miles is all stop and go below 45) nets me about 15mpg.... once I get on the highway it jumps up closer to 24 or so... Big swing between city and highway!
Doug1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
Courtesy Flush

(insert sarcastic quote about sports cars and mpg) but seriously...whats mpg?
Courtesy Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
DirtyD

SPM or GPG

Smiles per mile or Grins per gallon
Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
downtime!

I get a solid 22-23 out of mine, with the GH tune running 93. And I agree on the break in deal. I had the VMP tune on mine and had her at the track on the 3rd or 4th day.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
Rreemo

I haven't really been worried about hurting it or anything...hell if that happens this early on they'll damn sure fix it under warranty! I think more-so to me it's just that its a brand new car and I like to really get the feel for things, maybe run a tank or 2 through it before I go trying out the track apps and/or showing up at Northstar with a paper tag on it!

I know it's different than talking a new car, but I've been building engines for many years now, and I've always done the same thing with all of them....initial ring seat and break-in the cam at 3000-3500, cool it, then heat cycle it a couple more times...up to op temp at varied RPM...cool it again, change oil and filter, take a read on the plugs, and pretty much let it rip! I've never had one prematurely come apart by this method....I doubt these new ones are really any different when it comes down to it.

Speaking of MPG....my 911 did really well, clocked upper 20's pretty much all the time. The last tank I ran through it (93 octane of course), showed 26 on the dash, hand calculated just over 25....and that tank included a night at Northstar with several 1/8th mile passes.
Rreemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Rreemo View Post
I haven't really been worried about hurting it or anything...hell if that happens this early on they'll damn sure fix it under warranty! I think more-so to me it's just that its a brand new car and I like to really get the feel for things, maybe run a tank or 2 through it before I go trying out the track apps and/or showing up at Northstar with a paper tag on it!

I know it's different than talking a new car, but I've been building engines for many years now, and I've always done the same thing with all of them....initial ring seat and break-in the cam at 3000-3500, cool it, then heat cycle it a couple more times...up to op temp at varied RPM...cool it again, change oil and filter, take a read on the plugs, and pretty much let it rip! I've never had one prematurely come apart by this method....I doubt these new ones are really any different when it comes down to it.

Speaking of MPG....my 911 did really well, clocked upper 20's pretty much all the time. The last tank I ran through it (93 octane of course), showed 26 on the dash, hand calculated just over 25....and that tank included a night at Northstar with several 1/8th mile passes.
Well after hearing that, what do I know. Haha.