Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #31
DirtyD

Originally Posted by KungFuHamster View Post
I get what your saying. But my car was was within 5-6 hp and 5 ft lb on Brooks' dyno on a hotter day, so I would consider that an accurate measure. I understand the variation between weather and dynos and what not and that of course, makes sense.

my thing is I believe a street car that makes 30 ft lb across the board will be faster than a car that makes 20 or so at the very top of the tach.
TQ decreases after the max RPM as you transition to having HP move the car. If you have enough HP and a long enough road, a low TQ car could catch and pass a high TQ car, of course that is a very sketchy example. I may get bombed for it, but oh well.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #32
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
It's hard to compare dyno numbers between cars unless they were both dynoed on the same day, and dyno, with as close to the same exact weather as possible, and the dyno tech hit the trigger at the exact right moment on both cars.

Just too many factors to come into play. (You like this post don't you Steve? Lol)

It also depends on how the TQ values are determined. A calculated TQ value done from the load on the dyno (like Brooks') may be way off from one calculated by RPM sensor and such like TS does.
LOL, I'm rub my wiener all over it.

Originally Posted by KungFuHamster View Post
I get what your saying. But my car was was within 5-6 hp and 5 ft lb on Brooks' dyno on a hotter day, so I would consider that an accurate measure. I understand the variation between weather and dynos and what not and that of course, makes sense.

my thing is I believe a street car that makes 30 ft lb across the board will be faster than a car that makes 20 or so at the very top of the tach.
Obviously the power under the curve is far more important than peak power but you know this.

There is an interesting conversation taking place on SVTP about something like this with the Paxton vs TVS type powerbands.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #33
JDBishopArts

Here is my dyno sheet.

JDBishopArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #34
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by JDBishopArts View Post
Here is my dyno sheet.

Looks like Nics and Steve's.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #35
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
Those are my inflated numbers.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #36
STROKD
Old School

Yea, cause you don't even own is consider fast. People with 70k dollars plus cars with 30k plus into it and you rode in them is fast. Man anything with 700 rwhp is fast.
My old setup would cost about 25-30 grand to replicate, not including the car... It would have pissed you off badly on your setup with juice, and it was built in the 90s.

You talk like Steve and other folks on here haven't been doing this shit for decades man.

I took it apart in 2007 because I myself thought it was slow, and I was bored with it... there weren't many cars around then that were "fast" compared to today... If you dont make 700+ rw today, it's considered stock.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #37
03MachMe

I love the big talk by all the people saying everything under 1k hp is slow... And yet most everyone on here has less than half that. Want slow? Drive my Colorado, that is slow, my wifes edge that is slow. But I'm sorry anything with 400hp is fast. Is it the fastest, by no means it is but when you are faster than 90% of cars on the road then you are fast. The shit yall talk about and claim are the only fast cars are considered retarded fast. So quit with the high and mighty nothing is fast bull

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #38
Phuck Phace
My Stapler!

My sex game is fast.

2012 GT/CS
93 Cobra
Phuck Phace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #39
Midnight11
El Presidente

I had my 15 in wheels on that day

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #40
DirtyD

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
I love the big talk by all the people saying everything under 1k hp is slow... And yet most everyone on here has less than half that. Want slow? Drive my Colorado, that is slow, my wifes edge that is slow. But I'm sorry anything with 400hp is fast. Is it the fastest, by no means it is but when you are faster than 90% of cars on the road then you are fast. The shit yall talk about and claim are the only fast cars are considered retarded fast. So quit with the high and mighty nothing is fast bull
Give it to them, Ryan.

My car is the fastest vehicle I've ever owned, fastest I've ever ridden in, and fastest I've ever drove. That is good enough for me until I actually get to drive or ride in something faster.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #41
merlinmol

I think fast is relative to what you are talking about. I know most people on here are for drag racing, but you could take most of these cars with their suspension setups and run on a road course or even autox and they would be fast and fun as hell. In the OP's case if he just daily drives his, the higher tq numbers would be fun for just day to day use.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #42
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
There is nothing high and mighty about saying that, I don't know how you are coming to that conclusion. Yes, compared to the general public driving Prius's and Camry's, yes the Mustang is fast. But when referring to the hobby and being competitive to other makes and models that go to meets and events, Mustangs are not typically among the faster group of cars.

Fast is relative to what you are used to. If someone has never had a 500rw car, or been in a 700rw+ car, then yeah, it's fast for them. But it doesn't mean 700rw+ is competitive in the local scene, because it's not, not even close.

I know of a certain 780rw Cobra that was recruited to be a camera car for a couple of "C teamers" to film the race. The Cobra was up ahead by 7 or 8 car lengths, he took off on the hit ahead of them and got passed before he knew it and got a football field put on him.

Now normally, a 780rw Cobra would be fast as fuck for most people, but among the "fast" crowd it's not even quick enough to be a camera car. This was a few years ago and now street cars have gotten even faster. No one even blinks anymore when they hear 1000rw+.

Hell, Clint had his TT Cobra that made like 1043rw and that was years ago already and the races were tight then. Now, 1000rw makes you only a C teamer at best. To be on the "mountain" or the "A team" you're talking 1500rw+.

Now if you're just looking to have a fun street car with no expectations of going out to be competitive, then 600-700rw is plenty for a street car to have fun with.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #43
Brn N Rubr

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Car 1 and Car 2 weigh the same, have the same gearing, same tires, and twin brothers driving.

Car 1 makes 400tq at 2500rpm and 400hp at 6500

Car 2 makes 375tq at 2500rpm and 425hp at 6500

Car 2 wins the race every time, assuming the driver knows that you don't let the engine drop to 2500rpm during a race.
Wtf? Damn you guys know how to derail a thread. Lmao and by the way car two would win from a roll or dig.

So....Car 1 now makes 412tq at 6000rpm and 525hp at 7000rpm

Car 2 now makes 616tq at 4400rpm and 576hp at 5200rpmn

Who wins now (taking for granted both cars have good tires)?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #44
03MachMe

Ok and most of these "fast" cars are good for one thing. Roll racing. Most are not even set up to do anything more than 60-150 the fastest which to me is retarded. I guess most of the people have not seen what happens when cars crash going that fast on a public road and it's the cop in me coming out but it is just plain stupid. There is a professional league for drag, road course, hell even cars that drive sideways but not one for the cars that are only fast from a roll. You ever wonder why that is? If your car is making 1k hp but you run 11s at the track because you can't get traction till 100+mph then there is no point but to be the fastest speeder on the hwy. If you like going fast in a straight line cool, but be fast from all speeds not just a roll race. Like it was said it's all opinion I guess it just sounds like your trying to sound like your better than everyone because nothing is fast unless you make more hp than is 99.9% of all cars on the road.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #45
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. Keep in mind this is FOUR years ago and cars have gotten much faster.

Clint's blue Cobra makes an appearance around the 2 minute mark. The Supra that record the race was no joke either.