Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
virtu

Default When to change fluids for first time

What is the public opinion on when to change the engine/transmission/differential fluids? I just hit the 1,000 mile mark today and finally finished with the break-in. My last car required an initial 1,200 mile service to replace all 3 fluids. Would it would be wise to change it earlier rather than later due to shavings/pieces of metal from the break-in process? Or instead wait until the maintenance schedule calls for the fluids to be changed? As of now I plan to use Redline fluids for the tranny/diff and Mobil 1 for the engine. I don't want to change them too early but also not too late.

I would gratefully appreciate any advice and opinions you may have. Thanks!

*edit*

Ran across this post on another forum.

Originally Posted by karrnutt
I have had my track pack GT for a couple of weeks now and I was talking to my service manager about oil and oil changes. He said the oil should not be changed before the first time as specified by FORD. The reason being that there is a special additive the factory puts in to seat the rings. If taken out too soon you will probably get a clicking sound from the engine.

Last edited by virtu; 08-09-2012 at 05:54 PM.
virtu is offline   Reply With Quote