Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Darkhelmet22

Default Good weekend track pad?

Which brake pads have you guys had good luck with on a road course? Sorry if this has been covered but I didn't get any good answers with my searches. I am going to do a drivers edge event and want to put a good pad on along with good fluid before I go.

Hypermotive Tune | Pypes Longtubes and O/R X | Corsa Sports | H&R Race Springs | Eibach panhard bar | BMR LCAs | BMR relo brackets | Koni yellows | Eibach sway bars | Ground Control CC plates | MGW shifter | SVE Drifts |
Darkhelmet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
03MachMe

Not sure about pad but the motul RBF 600 is the fluid i have. I need good track pads as well so I'm curious to what everyone thinks

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Darkhelmet22

I've heard good things about Hawk hp plus track pad. I was going to try ATE brake fluid.

Hypermotive Tune | Pypes Longtubes and O/R X | Corsa Sports | H&R Race Springs | Eibach panhard bar | BMR LCAs | BMR relo brackets | Koni yellows | Eibach sway bars | Ground Control CC plates | MGW shifter | SVE Drifts |
Darkhelmet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
Torsion

The Motul RBF 600 seems to be the fluid that people 'round here like the most (for the money). I think Vorshlag likes it, and the guys at the shop at Motorsport Ranch recommend it as well (above the ATE fluids).

If you haven't done any track days before, then there's a really good chance that you'll be just fine on the stock brembo pads. I did maybe 4 track days on one set and I'm still using them on the street. No crumbling, no problems.

It seems that super duper drivers might chew through them quickly, but for novices my guess is they are adequate and safe.

Call Vorshlag, they are super nice and can answer these questions with ease.
Torsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Crimson600+HP

Like many have said, the most important thing you need to do to your car is a good DOT4 brake fluid (heck, I ran some off brand DOT4 from the autoparts store and it worked). If this is your first time, most likely you will not cook the brake fluid unless your instructor really pushes you to go to the limit of the brakes (I do Drivers Edge events too). Motul and ATE make great fluid and you can't go wrong with either one.

As far as the stock pads on a Brembo car, I burnt through them after 7000 miles, one DE event, and a one day Harris Hill event. Right now I am running Hawk HPS+ Pads (their track/autocross pads). They have great initial bite and work well, but they will probably wear out quite quick too. If you can float the money, I know Carbotech is the brand that most recommend and they have a ton of options too. I will probably go those next as the Hawks are noisy daily driving, but I can't complain, I got the Hawks free.

If HDPE is your thing, think about switching out to a braided stainless steel line in the future. Good things to bring with you also, your Ford Tire Inflation system, a good air temp gauge, and a torque wrench to check your lug nuts. Watch out, this gets expensive (tires, fluids, brake pads) and it is very addicting. My stock tires didn't even last 10K miles because I have done 4 of these events in 6 months.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!

Last edited by Crimson600+HP; 12-11-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Rebelracer568

Using motul 600 brake fluid is a must I highly recommendit. As far as brake pads im running the hawk hp plus and it is an good pad. I will end up switching to performace friction. I experienced some brake faid at ecr under a high braking corner with the hawks.
Rebelracer568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Hddcrasher

I am running Carbtech 12 in front 10 in back. Awesome pads for ECR but very noisey on streets. motul 600 and Centrix rotors.

But this morning, someone tried to lane change into me. These brakes saved my car this morning and probably the other driver's life! I can live with the noise..

Brembo Brake kit, CS lower valance with brake cooling kit, Bilstein dampers & springs with Vorshlag CCplates. Custom CS lower grill mesh.
Hddcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
merlinmol

I know that Brian in the yellow boss runs EBC Yellows at Eagles Cayon.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote