Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Photos & Videos > Detailing

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
PIKE5.0

Default Paint resto discussion

Keeping the paint in good condition is the most annoying/tedious process of any car I've owned. I FUCKING HATE IT! Mainly bc it take so much time and knowledge to truly do it right.

My car is officially one year old.. The black paint looks like 3 years of wear (due to no garage, weather, sprinkler systems, and 24k miles). I finally have a house/garage and am in obvious need of paint restoration.

I will most likely pay someone to get back right this first time. BUT what are some tips, products, techniques that some of you all utilize with your cars??
PIKE5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Midnight11
El Presidente

moved to the detailing section

im no pro but i have the porter cable and used it on my 11. worked great and got all the swirls out.

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
PIKE5.0

[QUOTE=Midnight11;3803]moved to the detailing section

My laziness of searching has been put on blast! lol my bad, thanks!

I'm terrified of screwing it up with a power tool in my hand as 110% of the time I'm working on my car/yard/whatever intoxicated..
PIKE5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Midnight11
El Presidente

porter cable is really user friendly and wont hurt your paint. i can show you on your car if you are ever in the area

HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Old 08-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
PIKE5.0

I'd be down for a demo.. so hopefully we can coordinate that soon! Positive my car secretly hates me due to neglect
Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Midnight11
El Presidente

sounds good just let me know

HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Old 08-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Midnight11 View Post
porter cable is really user friendly and wont hurt your paint. i can show you on your car if you are ever in the area
Agreed. It's really hard to do any damage with a Porter Cable unless you have trash in the pad and/or using a really aggressive pad.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
03MachMe

i have all the stuff ex the porter cable. I really need to buy one... I really really want to keep my paint looking like it does now. I have used the Meguiars on the Mach in the past and worked great.

have the three on the top and use them when i do a full detail

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/catego...al-mirrorglaze

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
PLASMAN

Dude if you have a black car thats been outside for a year you need to claybar the whole thing to get the contaminants off the paint, then do your waxing and treating. I used to use liquid class on my black shelby and it looked wet all the time
mods to be put on:
MAK 3" Offroad downpipe, FR Intercooler, Meth kit, SSI T5 Tune

Totaled:
2013 GT/CS A6
Steeda CAI/ VMP Tune/GT500 AB/JEGS CAT DELETES/
STEEDA UCA/LCA'S/ EIBACH PRO KIT STRUTS/ FRPP K SPRINGS/ BMR PANHARD BAR / Shelby Razors 20's
PLASMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #10
OG Fox
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by PLASMAN View Post
Dude if you have a black car thats been outside for a year you need to claybar the whole thing to get the contaminants off the paint, then do your waxing and treating. I used to use liquid class on my black shelby and it looked wet all the time
this!!!

yes, clay bar really works. get all the crap out of your paint, and then wax and polish the shit of it.
OG Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
Eaglei532

Im in for a demo/class. I want to learn more about keeping my child looking glassy!!!

RIP Chris Kyle
Eaglei532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
PLASMAN

Originally Posted by Eaglei532 View Post
Im in for a demo/class. I want to learn more about keeping my child looking glassy!!!
Get a claybar kit and some quick detailer spray and do one panel at a time. Spray down the panel and soak the clay with the spray. You just rub it on the paint in a straight back and forth motion till you covered the whole panel. Oh yeah start with a clean car, dont do this outside. You will eventually get the clay bar dirty, so you have to knead it and work it so its as clean as possible. When your done with a panel run your finger across it compared to a panel not done and it should fell like glass. The detailer spray should work as a lubricant, it will take a long time and you will be sore the next day, but once your done and get a good coat of wax on you wont have to do it again. I went looking for a new container of liquid class wax yesterday and nobody has it on the shelf at autoparts stores anymore, so i bought it of their website. You may find it in an autobody supply store as well. You know you have the right one if it has like a 67 gold vette on the container. They also have new product for black plastic trim that you spray on that wont turn white I bought. Hope that helps. After your done you can use a california duster to clean the car instead of water
mods to be put on:
MAK 3" Offroad downpipe, FR Intercooler, Meth kit, SSI T5 Tune

Totaled:
2013 GT/CS A6
Steeda CAI/ VMP Tune/GT500 AB/JEGS CAT DELETES/
STEEDA UCA/LCA'S/ EIBACH PRO KIT STRUTS/ FRPP K SPRINGS/ BMR PANHARD BAR / Shelby Razors 20's
PLASMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by PLASMAN View Post
Get a claybar kit and some quick detailer spray and do one panel at a time. Spray down the panel and soak the clay with the spray. You just rub it on the paint in a straight back and forth motion till you covered the whole panel. Oh yeah start with a clean car, dont do this outside. You will eventually get the clay bar dirty, so you have to knead it and work it so its as clean as possible. When your done with a panel run your finger across it compared to a panel not done and it should fell like glass. The detailer spray should work as a lubricant, it will take a long time and you will be sore the next day, but once your done and get a good coat of wax on you wont have to do it again. I went looking for a new container of liquid class wax yesterday and nobody has it on the shelf at autoparts stores anymore, so i bought it of their website. You may find it in an autobody supply store as well. You know you have the right one if it has like a 67 gold vette on the container. They also have new product for black plastic trim that you spray on that wont turn white I bought. Hope that helps. After your done you can use a california duster to clean the car instead of water

This is pretty much what I do. I've only washed my car once since I bought the car and that was because I got caught in the rain by accident. A good clay bar job and a quality wax will make a huge difference in the way a car looks.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
Dan12GT

I too will favor the clay bar. However, I highly suggest Zaino now that I have had a chance to try their products.

I bought the Ultimate Protection Car Show Kit. The process involved first washing your car in dawn to remove any greese / hard dirt. Then to claybar the entire car (I even did my door jams! ). Then to wash the car again to get off any of the excess residue from the clay baring. Then to polish it with the provided car polish. I did 2 coats of the polish. I was pretty damn tired after all that but my paint looks amazing.

Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
Grandpa
I> /\/\

How much did that kit cost, Dan?