Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #166
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
As said many times before, the remote mount shifter on these trans is the retarded part. I've not known a 1000whp Supra to know have a built or slightly built trans though. Just no way I can see a factory production trans holding up to that in any vehicle.
Over 30 passes in the 8s with this driver. Shows the transmission break on one run though. Not bad I would think and the car was driven and raced since 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwuMIZ4Y_AU

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #167
DirtyD

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
The v160 in the supra def holds a 1000whp untouched.
Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Will had the stock one in his car making well over 1200rw powershifting the fuck out of it and it lived for much longer than ANY Ford/GM manual he's ever had. No one has killed more transmissions than him. I think his last count was around 30 T56's alone.
Good to know. I didn't realize they were THAT strong. Very impressive.

Just proves that Getrag doesn't build entirely crap transmissions. Hell, it may have been a Ford design with this trans they had Getrag build, without any consultation work.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #168
Dominic Toretto

Good to know. I didn't realize they were THAT strong. Very impressive.

Just proves that Getrag doesn't build entirely crap transmissions. Hell, it may have been a Ford design with this trans they had Getrag build, without any consultation work.
Yup. But I did a quick Wikipedia of Getrag. I think the V160 was built in Germany but, from what I gather, Getrag is building transmissions(almost all of them) out of China now. Not trying to thread jack.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 09-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #169
Grandpa
I> /\/\

It comes down to budget approval on parts. It may very well be a Getrag design, but it's only as good as the parts Ford will give the okay on with the internals. Ford still views the Mustang GT as the entry level sports/passenger vehicle. Most people who buy them, don't mod them to the hilt like us in the hobby therfor there is no need for a "built" trans in a mass production Mustang.

Toyota on the other hand has a reputation for over building on their sports cars. They view cars coming back to the dealership for service work as a loss. American car companies just see it as everyday business.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #170
Rebelracer568

Steve your point is perfect. Autos are boring to drive. But produce awesome track numbers. Me I personally love shifting even with this pos we have in the car.
Rebelracer568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #171
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by Rebelracer568 View Post
Steve your point is perfect. Autos are boring to drive. But produce awesome track numbers. Me I personally love shifting even with this pos we have in the car.
I have a ton of friends that would agree with you and wonder why I got an auto lol.

-Alex

Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #172
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
I have a ton of friends that would agree with you and wonder why I got an auto lol.

-Alex
There is nothing wrong with having an auto. It comes down to personal preference is all. I understand why some owners like/want a stalled auto car for the track. Very easy to run a number with, a monkey could drive one and I don't mean that as a bad thing. It takes the human error out of the equation, I get it. But it also takes the fun factor out of it for me. I like more than going to the track. I really like the twisty country backroads and rowing through the gears feeling connected to the car. Ever tried driving an auto through the backroads? It's annoying as fuck with a transmission that is confused most of the time trying to predict what the driver wants from it that changes every few seconds.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #173
DirtyD

If I lived and work anywhere around Dallas, I honestly would've probably bought an auto strictly because of the suck ass traffic anywhere south of 380, east of PGBT, and west of Rockwall...
Old 09-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #174
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
There is nothing wrong with having an auto. It comes down to personal preference is all. I understand why some owners like/want a stalled auto car for the track. Very easy to run a number with, a monkey could drive one and I don't mean that as a bad thing. It takes the human error out of the equation, I get it. But it also takes the fun factor out of it for me. I like more than going to the track. I really like the twisty country backroads and rowing through the gears feeling connected to the car. Ever tried driving an auto through the backroads? It's annoying as fuck with a transmission that is confused most of the time trying to predict what the driver wants from it that changes every few seconds.
It's all good, I get why anyone would go either route.

-Alex

Old 09-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #175
kdanner

"C3" is code for the Reid cased TH400 in the 2014. "C2" is the Reid cased PG available in the 5.4 cars. All 2013 were C4, some of the prior year 5.4 cars were too. The fastest ones are sticks, just like in any other form of drag racing.

Last edited by kdanner; 09-16-2013 at 02:17 PM.
kdanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #176
DirtyD

Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
"C3" is code for the Reid cased TH400 in the 2014. "C2" is the Reid cased PG available in the 5.4 cars. All 2013 were C4, some of the prior year 5.4 cars were too. That fastest ones are sticks, just like in any other form of drag racing.

Those tires look A LOT bigger than what they come with from Ford...

33x13.5?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #177
kdanner

Those tires look A LOT bigger than what they come with from Ford...

33x13.5?
Right. They come with 30x9 which is the max size stock eliminator tire, the cars come set up for stock eliminator. But, the 4.0 blower engine combo for both the CJ and COPO is only allowed in Super Stock, so those cars need the chassis work to put them in a Super Stock configuration where the max allowed tire is 14x32.
kdanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #178
DirtyD

Right. They come with 30x9 which is the max size stock eliminator tire, the cars come set up for stock eliminator. But, the 4.0 blower engine combo for both the CJ and COPO is only allowed in Super Stock, so those cars need the chassis work to put them in a Super Stock configuration where the max allowed tire is 14x32.
That was just a lucky guess.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #179
Rebelracer568

"C3" is code for the Reid cased TH400 in the 2014. "C2" is the Reid cased PG available in the 5.4 cars. All 2013 were C4, some of the prior year 5.4 cars were too. The fastest ones are sticks, just like in any other form of drag racing.

Yea car is sweet. Has same style tranny as the pro stock cars. Liberty 5 speed clutchless tranny. Thats awesome to see.
Rebelracer568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #180
Yagermeister

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
Dick it hasn't been to TS since I switch back to e85.
So the e85 is working great for you LIKE WE ALL TOLD YOU??