Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
five.slow

Shaun at AED tuned my car when i first got it. I was one of the first hand full to get the lope tune too. probably loaded 20 different tunes helping him out. I actually took my car to his shop here in california to have it dyno tuned when i put the paxton on. Did 91 and e85 tunes. he is a great tuner and he has awesome customer service. when i trade my car in the first mod will be a AED tune.
five.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
fordplay

Here is the thing... everyone who works in any retail business inspects their rivals products, GM admitted to having an entire shop devoted to reverse engineering, FORD does it. Samsung does it, apple does it, what makes you think AED and bama haven't? OK AED data logs , so does bama if you ask, dyno tune is best followed by a datalog tune, then mail order, and I'd say they are the same exact tricks in each tune.
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
DirtyD

Originally Posted by fordplay View Post
dyno tune is best followed by a datalog tune, then mail order, and I'd say they are the same exact tricks in each tune.
Here is where you can start to argue.

A dyno tune is a tune conducted in a controlled environment. The car isn't truly driving around, and if tuned fro WOT almost exclusively.

An email tune works exactly like a dyno tune. You are monitoring the same parameters as the dyno tune, but you are also tuning the part throttle and driveability of the car, which to 95% of the people that get tuned, live most of their lives. Having better driveability is much more important to me than squeezing out a few extra ponies when I'll only be racing every so often.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
Yagermeister

Fordplay, I don't know about you but I certainly don't drive around at the track or the street with my hood open and big fans blowing air straight at my car and my air filter (giving a slightly false reading of how much air is being ingested into the engine and therefore affecting a/f readings) hence why I like datalog tuning on the street and track. While on a dyno I also don't use an air/fuel ratio meter in my tailpipe which is 10 feet away from the cylinder head also giving up to (in some cases) a full point of false a/f readings especially if the sensor is not changed out every couple of weeks or sooner due to leaded race fuels in some cars. I use my Ford provided wideband o2 or install an aftermarket wideband into a car that wasn't provided one close for much more accurate readings.

Most dynos are inertia dynos and don't take load into consideration the same way the street does or a load bearing dyno does. If you get a "full dyno tune" on a LOAD BEARING dyno then dyno tuning can be closer to street/track tuning (not close but closer because you still have the hood open with air blowing straight at the air filter). What I mean by "full dyno tune" is making sure ALL areas the car will be operating in are taken care of such as idle, part throttle low load, part throttle medium load, part throttle high load, tip-in, decel, shift points and lockup points if an auto, and WOT). This cannot be accomplished by driving around the block or two blocks and then back into the garage. The OEM's will "engine dyno" their engines to get them close but then they drive around on the street and on tracks for months and months...not on an inertia dyno or even a load bearing dyno for months and months.

Datalog tuning is exactly what we all saw the camouflaged 2015 Mustang doing for the last few months when it was on city streets.

There are only a few tuners that datalog your car BEFORE tuning it. The reason they do this is to confirm that your car is mechanically correct to tune which also reduces their liability. How can they tune your car if you have a vacuum leak or an exhaust leak before the wideband o2 sensor?? Back when Shaun @ AED was tuning my car, he found in my datalogs that I had a vacuum leak and therefore he would not tune my car. I found the CAI tube coupler to MAF was loose. I fixed it and then he saw in the datalogs that I fixed it and we were good to go. The datalogs can also show poor fuel being used which obviously can affect tuning.

I am serious when I say the following: This post is NOT directed at ANY company in the metroplex or in the the country whatsoever so please do not read anything into my post.

Datalog Tuning FTW!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by fordplay View Post
Here is the thing... everyone who works in any retail business inspects their rivals products, GM admitted to having an entire shop devoted to reverse engineering, FORD does it. Samsung does it, apple does it, what makes you think AED and bama haven't? OK AED data logs , so does bama if you ask, dyno tune is best followed by a datalog tune, then mail order, and I'd say they are the same exact tricks in each tune.
Tuners cannot see eachother's tune files when they are looking at a cars computer.

As for the same exact "tricks", that isn't true either. A couple of the major tuners has/had inside information from the engineering department at Ford which gave them ahead start of everyone else in 2010 right before the Coyote was released. That is the reason why you saw these two major email tuners doing so well and others like Bama who were not privy to the information blowing up more shit than Al Qaudea trying to figure it out on their own.

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Here is where you can start to argue.

A dyno tune is a tune conducted in a controlled environment. The car isn't truly driving around, and if tuned fro WOT almost exclusively.

An email tune works exactly like a dyno tune. You are monitoring the same parameters as the dyno tune, but you are also tuning the part throttle and driveability of the car, which to 95% of the people that get tuned, live most of their lives. Having better driveability is much more important to me than squeezing out a few extra ponies when I'll only be racing every so often.
While it is true a dyno tune can only get so close to duplicating the real environment load that takes place on the street, it's still the safest way to tune a car in a legal manner.

I personally think email tunes are an unsafe way to tune a car. You are taking a big risk making pulls on a partially untuned car. Yes, some of these tuners have procedures they explain to owners how to do datalogs for them in increments but something can still can wrong causing damage to the motor. Therein lies the problem with email tuning a car is no live tuner sitting in the car watching as the pulls are taking place.

The BEST way for optimal tuning is street data logging with the tuner in the car in the environment the is intended to be used on real load and air. If something doesn't look right, the tuner can tell you on the spot to stop the pull right then and there. By doing this not only can you be assured you are getting a proper safe tune, but also get the most power and best possible drivability. There is only so much a tuner can do when he doesn't actually put his hands on the car.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Yagermeister View Post
Fordplay, I don't know about you but I certainly don't drive around at the track or the street with my hood open and big fans blowing air straight at my car and my air filter (giving a slightly false reading of how much air is being ingested into the engine and therefore affecting a/f readings) hence why I like datalog tuning on the street and track. While on a dyno I also don't use an air/fuel ratio meter in my tailpipe which is 10 feet away from the cylinder head also giving up to (in some cases) a full point of false a/f readings especially if the sensor is not changed out every couple of weeks or sooner due to leaded race fuels in some cars. I use my Ford provided wideband o2 or install an aftermarket wideband into a car that wasn't provided one close for much more accurate readings.

Most dynos are inertia dynos and don't take load into consideration the same way the street does or a load bearing dyno does. If you get a "full dyno tune" on a LOAD BEARING dyno then dyno tuning can be closer to street/track tuning (not close but closer because you still have the hood open with air blowing straight at the air filter). What I mean by "full dyno tune" is making sure ALL areas the car will be operating in are taken care of such as idle, part throttle low load, part throttle medium load, part throttle high load, tip-in, decel, shift points and lockup points if an auto, and WOT). This cannot be accomplished by driving around the block or two blocks and then back into the garage. The OEM's will "engine dyno" their engines to get them close but then they drive around on the street and on tracks for months and months...not on an inertia dyno or even a load bearing dyno for months and months.

Datalog tuning is exactly what we all saw the camouflaged 2015 Mustang doing for the last few months when it was on city streets.

There are only a few tuners that datalog your car BEFORE tuning it. The reason they do this is to confirm that your car is mechanically correct to tune which also reduces their liability. How can they tune your car if you have a vacuum leak or an exhaust leak before the wideband o2 sensor?? Back when Shaun @ AED was tuning my car, he found in my datalogs that I had a vacuum leak and therefore he would not tune my car. I found the CAI tube coupler to MAF was loose. I fixed it and then he saw in the datalogs that I fixed it and we were good to go. The datalogs can also show poor fuel being used which obviously can affect tuning.

I am serious when I say the following: This post is NOT directed at ANY company in the metroplex or in the the country whatsoever so please do not read anything into my post.

Datalog Tuning FTW!
You beat me to it! lol. We were typing at the same time. Very well said.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
Yagermeister

I hit refresh before posting because I had a feeling you were typing too but yours didn't show up so I hit go
Old 12-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #23
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Back on topic..
Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #24
jerseyjoe

Installed my AED tune a few weeks ago, very happy with the tune and service received from shaun @ AED. I will dyno soon to see what my hp gains were, i can say that the gains are noticeable and the car pulls hard.
jerseyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #25
OG Fox
Supporting Member

aed tunes are awesome. better than true street. but thats not saying much!
OG Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #26
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by OG Fox View Post
aed tunes are awesome. better than true street. but thats not saying much!
You know this first hand from your own car or is this more of the bandwagon he said she said bs?

I've got a TS tune and my car runs great.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #27
OG Fox
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
You know this first hand from your own car or is this more of the bandwagon he said she said bs?

I've got a TS tune and my car runs great.
first hand knowledge. and i like talking shit.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #28
Grandpa
I> /\/\

first hand knowledge. and i like talking shit.
Well, at least we agree on that, your statement was shit.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #29
OG Fox
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Well, at least we agree on that, your statement was shit.
awww im sorry not everyone sucks clint's dick. go with aed if you want a good tune.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #30
Grandpa
I> /\/\

awww im sorry not everyone sucks clint's dick. go with aed if you want a good tune.
Im really beginning to wonder about you with how often you talk about sucking dick. It happens WAY too often.

You can call it whatever you like. I dont mind at all you strongly suggesting AED for your choice of tuner. But bashing TS like that in an unprovoked manner isnt cool at all.

Clint and Sean are good people who work really hard to make their customers happy. They are car guys just like the rest of us who decided to put everything in their own personal lives on the line to start a very expensive start up business. They feed their families that way. They both have the cutest little kids and when you say shit like that you are directly affecting them too by taking food out of their mouths.

You're entitled to your opinion of course but you dont have to be an ass about it. There has already been enough bad blood around here cuz of shit like that. No reason to take it further unnecessarily.