Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
JDMLOL

Default Coolant System Expert?

So I need some ideas as to what problem I'm having. This doesn't have to do with my mustang, it has to do with my volvo but I figured the cooling system is basically the same from car to car. I have replaced the waterpump and thermostat on my 86 volvo 740. There does not appear to be any leaks. The return hose from the thermostat housing gets warm/hot and the waterpump hose gets warm. The system also appears to be getting pressurized. The heater blows cold and the car slowly creeps up in temperature until I wont let it get any hotter and kill the car. What issue could I be having? Should I check the thermostat? The radiator doesn't look original and it looks fairly new. Could it need a system flush? Any ideas as to what it could be would be appreciated.

As an aside I removed the cracked fan shroud until I have time to get another one. Do those things make that big of a difference as far as drawing air into the radiator?

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
re-rx7
Banned

Is the fan operating correctly? Have your burped the system?
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
JDMLOL

I guess the thermostat wasn't open. Shut it off and let it cool down. Ran the car with the cap off and it started sucking more coolant and filled it up more. I guess it was low on coolant. But now the damn thing is missing. I guess it got too hot when the first remanufactured waterpump failed after 15 minutes.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
Old 12-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Dan12GT

uh oh, hopefully no major problems. I was about to say though the most common problems after doing a flush is air in the system.

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
re-rx7
Banned

Exactly. Rad cap off burped the system.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
JDMLOL

Fixed the coolant system and found the misfire problem. One of the plugs on an injector decided to back out. Secured it tightly and the misfire disappeared.

The Queen:
Old 12-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
Bacadiesel

Sounds like an air bubblein cooling system not letting coolant flow through heater core
Bacadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
JDMLOL

In the future, is it best to continue filling the expansion tank after the thermostat has opened?

The Queen:
Old 12-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
re-rx7
Banned

I usually leave the cap off the Rad until the Thermostat opens and pour into the spout. afterwards fill the reserv.