Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Photos & Videos > Detailing

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Capt_Pooty View Post
If your ever in Plano, Steve at Showroom FX is Ah MAZE ING he is at Cars and Coffe Plano every weekend in a Gun Metal Viper... A lot of people in the car community go to him..
That guy has been around forever. At first he was a Zaino guy, then Tropicare and now FX.

Nick Chapman is very talented. He's been to SEMA a few times being invited out to detail cars there. He worked on some very high dollar cars so he obviously knows what he is doing. I don't know if he still in the business or not though. The last I heard anything about him he re-injured his back again pretty seriously and wasn't able to detail. That was awhile ago though and hopefully has recovered.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
mustang1200

Everyone always talks about detailing the outside to near perfection, but you don't hear much about detailing interiors. I would like my truck detailed, but with the focus to be on the interior.
mustang1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by mustang1200 View Post
Everyone always talks about detailing the outside to near perfection, but you don't hear much about detailing interiors. I would like my truck detailed, but with the focus to be on the interior.
Just a few tricks to get in the crevices then its straight forward.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
mustang1200

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Just a few tricks to get in the crevices then its straight forward.
I have tan interior. The floor mats need some work.
mustang1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
03MachMe

I finally got me a Porter cable so I will be doing mine at the end of summer most likely. Not sure if I will leave the stripes on or not..

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
re-rx7
Banned

For the leather be damn sure to use a ph neutral cleaner and a gd conditioner. For the money it's hard to beat lexal cleaner and conditioner. Plus it's widely available.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
Ear rak

Out of curiosity, what does a full detail like this cost? I tried to keep my car as clean as I can but as a DD, it gets beat up driving to and from work through construction and is now beyond my capability.
2009 Mustang GT 5spd - JLT cai, pypes l/t, o/r x-pipe, SW Retro 3" a/b, FRPP shifter, FRPP k springs, FRPP sway bars, FRPP struts/dampners, FRPP strut tower brace, 4.10 gears, and fancy FRPP valve covers
Ear rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #23
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Ear rak View Post
Out of curiosity, what does a full detail like this cost? I tried to keep my car as clean as I can but as a DD, it gets beat up driving to and from work through construction and is now beyond my capability.
A good quality, multi-step detail will run $250-$300 starting out.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #24
Ear rak

Thats more reasonable than I thought. I figured i'd get bent over just to have my car looks like new again.
2009 Mustang GT 5spd - JLT cai, pypes l/t, o/r x-pipe, SW Retro 3" a/b, FRPP shifter, FRPP k springs, FRPP sway bars, FRPP struts/dampners, FRPP strut tower brace, 4.10 gears, and fancy FRPP valve covers
Ear rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #25
Toby

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
I love doing it as a hobby for my car but it is a huge pain in the ass. Dual action polisher is the way to go to remove minor defects / swirls but it takes a LOT of time.

I for a short time used the 2 bucket method but no longer do that, I found something even better. 6-7 border-less microfiber towls and a bucket of soap. 1 towels per section (side, front, tops, etc) and discard it from your bucket, never reintroduce dirty towels, 2 bucket methods never fully get the item you were washing with completely clean again. And you used a LOT less water.
What do you do with those towels after a wash? Trash them? That is a very anal way of washing a car haha I bet that thing is shiny!! I just find the closest drive through wash and done.. Usually once a year I hit it with a clay bar and polish but that's about it..
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #26
Dan12GT

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
What do you do with those towels after a wash? Trash them? That is a very anal way of washing a car haha I bet that thing is shiny!! I just find the closest drive through wash and done.. Usually once a year I hit it with a clay bar and polish but that's about it..
I set them aside to be washed in the washing machine and reuse then next wash. Ya I'm super anal about keeping it clean. I usually wash once a week

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #27
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
I set them aside to be washed in the washing machine and reuse then next wash. Ya I'm super anal about keeping it clean. I usually wash once a week
That's an overly complicated way of washing your car. What you should really concern yourself with is drying. Alot of people over look this aspect. I wash mine on avg twice a week. Do not dry your microfiber. If I was you just buy a gd mit. I prefer Adams and wash as usual with the two bucket method. Also look into a nice paint sealant not just wax. Very helpful with black paint. Cquartz is the tits.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #28
saunupe1911

It amazes me how many people neglect using sealants. Blackfire Wet Diamond is a game changer. That shit gives paint a layer of gloss and protection that no other product can deliver at this moment
saunupe1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #29
saunupe1911

Dan, i wash my towels weekly as well. Microfiber towel is cheap, paint isn't. I never mix products and I use a special set of towels just for paint. I found out the hard way that all microfiber towel isn't made equal. Ironically, the $5 set of 5 from Walmart works the best besides my towel that came with the Blackfire Wet Diamond.
saunupe1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #30
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
Dan, i wash my towels weekly as well. Microfiber towel is cheap, paint isn't. I never mix products and I use a special set of towels just for paint. I found out the hard way that all microfiber towel isn't made equal. Ironically, the $5 set of 5 from Walmart works the best besides my towel that came with the Blackfire Wet Diamond.
The best towels I have found so far are from Meguairs and they run about $10 a piece.

Last edited by re-rx7; 07-26-2013 at 09:53 AM.