Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
Pat McCrotch

Default Problems after new tires installed

I Had new tires put on this morning. Afterword, while driving to work, I notice a weird noise that the car has never made before. It's like a tap/click, from right side rear. It is not constant, I hear it when slowly accelerating in 2nd and 3rd mostly, also over some bumps. Put it in neutral and coast,, and I do not hear it. Almost sounds like a marble tapping the side of the car, is about the best way I can describe it.

Also, you know the noises a car makes when you try to start off in 2nd, or the RPM's are just too low for the gear you are in, my car is now doing that when I take off in 1st. Never done it before. Brakes also feel mushy now.
Car is just acting weird..

Except for these tires and the CS1 wheels, car is STOCK..

Is there something the tire place could have done that is causing this, or is it just a coincidence that it started acting like this right after the install and I should take straight to the dealership?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
rriddle3

Under warranty? - Dealership.
2012 GT Automatic, Kona Blue w/Stone interior
The usual exhaust mods, JLT CAI, Brenspeed tune, BMR LCAs
rriddle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Pat McCrotch View Post

Also, you know the noises a car makes when you try to start off in 2nd, or the RPM's are just too low for the gear you are in, my car is now doing that when I take off in 1st. Never done it before. Brakes also feel mushy now.
Car is just acting weird..
Is there something the tire place could have done that is causing this, or is it just a coincidence that it started acting like this right after the install and I should take straight to the dealership?
Different tires have different properties. Were these OEM replacements? Are they larger? More info is needed. SOunds like you need to adjust your driving like i did when I put on new wheels and tires.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
JDBishopArts

Were you there when they did the tires? Sure they didn't hot rod it around? Where is the stem located on the rim. Staggered set up?
JDBishopArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
my95z28

Did you visually inspect the area that the noise is coming from? Could be the sticker on the tire making noise, look and make sure that the wheel weights aren't hitting the caliper as well. Lug nuts tight? If you don't notice anything run it back to wear you got the tires from and have them take a look at it.
my95z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Pat McCrotch

Shelby CS1 wheels. Bigger than factory. I bought these wheels used, with Nitto DR's, 315/35/20 on the back. Put them on myself and drove for a couple weeks with no problems. I decided to have the Motivo''s put on so I could drive in the rain, since this is my DD. the new tires are 315/35/20
Did inspect after and nothing found, noise is something either internal in the wheel, or wheel well. I was there when they put them on so they didn't take it for a joy ride, but I couldn't see the bay where they did the install.

Like I said, I hear it on light acceleration in 2nd and sometimes 3rd.

I am headed back to the tire shop now, if they cant find the cause, I will be dealership bound.

Last edited by Pat McCrotch; 02-28-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: addition
Pat McCrotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
BERT
I love tube socks

Something inside the wheel itself?

Reminds me of My Cousin Vinny "you got mud in ya tires"
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
Pat McCrotch

Originally Posted by BERT View Post

I think you hit it right on. Just got back from the tire shop, they had a line out the door so I will try again later. I however notice the other things I mentioned are not happening now, brakes feel great and no weird noise when taking off from a start. So I decided to test these tires out a little.
I must say, I am surprised. The tires from the factory would break loose if I jumped on the gas anything below 105 in 4th down. I just took a few corners pretty quick and jumped on it in 2nd at 40 (wheels were straight at the time) and barely spun, just took off.

Once I get this noise in the wheel/tire passenger side rear fixed, I think I will really like these tires.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:56 AM   #9
NAVAG

Originally Posted by BERT View Post

lol.That's the first thing that popped in my head.
NAVAG is offline   Reply With Quote