Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
Phuck Phace
My Stapler!

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
Yeah I know it did. Shit won't let me upload the pics. Well I'm at dinner so I'll do it when I get home.
LMAO, I forgot about that.

2012 GT/CS
93 Cobra
Phuck Phace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
The faster the car the more shit you break, I'll stay slow.
Amen to that! You can see where going fast got him. His car is in the shop most of the time along with his money. lol.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Amen to that! You can see where going fast got him. His car is in the shop most of the time along with his money. lol.
Please my car has been in the shop to get go fast goodies. This is the first problem I've had.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
downtime!

Please my car has been in the shop to get go fast goodies. This is the first problem I've had.
Pretty serious problem though, gotta admit. I beat mine mercilessly, 30k miles, hundreds of passes, not even a hiccup. Did they come up with a reason for the failure?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #20
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
Pretty serious problem though, gotta admit. I beat mine mercilessly, 30k miles, hundreds of passes, not even a hiccup. Did they come up with a reason for the failure?
Nope.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #21
downtime!

Nope.
So the pic that's on Facebook with the bent con-rod, that's the culprit? And they haven't figured out why it bent? Any damage to the top of the piston?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #22
Toby

The only problem we found was the bent rod. Piston tops look perfect, valves are perfect not even the slightest hint of detonation, or anything lean related. We have spoken to our local ford dealer, they have informed us that they have seen a hand full of the new 5.0 mustangs come in with a locked up motor that was a result of a bent rod. Seems to becoming a common thing with these cars. It will come back better then ever!
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #23
DirtyD

Maybe some motors are getting weak rods due to tolerances in the material?
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #24
Toby

Not sure, there is also another common thing, most all of them that have this problem, have around 5k miles....
Old 12-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #25
Midnight11
El Presidente

i know you said the pistons are good but can u tell which one he has

I now have each piston revision for the Coyote GT.

The late '12 piston appears to be the same as the 11-12 piston except it has the phosphate coating. The '13 piston has the coating, the extra oil drain back passages, and the gas groove in the second ring land.

From top to bottom: 11-12 piston (03/22/2010-12/08/2011)....Late '12 piston (12/08/2011-02/27/2012)....'13 piston (02/27/2012-current):

11-12 piston:

late 12

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #26
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Not sure, there is also another common thing, most all of them that have this problem, have around 5k miles....
Maybe it's the fact the cars weren't broken in properly? They say that break in is first 5k or so...
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #27
downtime!

The only problem we found was the bent rod. Piston tops look perfect, valves are perfect not even the slightest hint of detonation, or anything lean related. We have spoken to our local ford dealer, they have informed us that they have seen a hand full of the new 5.0 mustangs come in with a locked up motor that was a result of a bent rod. Seems to becoming a common thing with these cars. It will come back better then ever!
Assembly line variances, call it what you will (is it a "Friday" engine or a "Monday" engine), still a bit scary to think it can, and does happen. This makes two that I know of for sure now. If it is indeed becoming a known issue, maybe this will finally prompt Ford into giving us a "real" set of con-rods.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #28
downtime!

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Maybe it's the fact the cars weren't broken in properly? They say that break in is first 5k or so...
I had the tune loaded, and mine at the track, on Day 2. I think it's more luck of the draw than anything else. Ford puts together a few hundred of these things a day, shit happens. Not nearly as much as it used to, but it still happens. That's why we get warranties.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #29
Toby

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
An engine is an engine. They all have gaskets, rings, bearings, etc. How do you think guys with race cars break their engines in? they have no way of putting 5k miles on it. Some engines wont even last 500 miles before the rods need replacing. I think its more a shitty luck of the draw. IMO
Old 12-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #30
DirtyD

An engine is an engine. They all have gaskets, rings, bearings, etc. How do you think guys with race cars break their engines in? they have no way of putting 5k miles on it. Some engines wont even last 500 miles before the rods need replacing. I think its more a shitty luck of the draw. IMO
That was more of a thinking out loud post.

I will agree with you on the race cars though. Takes A LOT of quarter mile passes to get to 5k. Lol