Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Photos & Videos > Pics & Video

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
El_Tortuga

Default Second Drivers Education event with PCA @ MSR Cresson 3.1

Going into this event on the 3.1 mile version @ Cresson, I was feeling pretty good. The 3.1 configuration includes both the 1.7 and 1.3 mile tracks. I had made huge strides in my first event on the 1.7 part, so I was familiar with ½ of the full course. I was coming back to the blue group where I done well, and had requested an instructor who I had previously. I’d also studied Youtube videos of the big course. For the car, I added a second seat harness and upgraded the brakes with track pads, SS lines, and air ducting in front. My coworker buddy with the silver 1LE Camaro had done a bunch of work, and we had been having fun with the Ford vs Chevy banter.

My confidence was short lived. In the 1st session, it was obvious that with elevation and camber effects of 1.3 track were much more tricky and difficult than I had imagined. Worse yet, because my mind was still spinning, I wasn’t even doing very well on the 1.7 portion. It’s a great track, but was just too much for me to grasp initially. I was making progress, but the fun only lasted 2-3 laps when a 911 went off course and got stuck. Red flag, black flag and our session was over. Arrgh!!!

The weather was perfect, and the BS session in the paddock was pretty spirited. A group of us yucked it up pretty good. I should have been studying the track. When I went back out in the second session, my little brain was on TILT! I couldn’t process Rob’s instructions in time to use them properly, and I seemed to be a tick behind everywhere. I was overwhelmed, frustrated, and confused. On the lighter side, Joe spun his Camaro getting too exuberant with the throttle while coming off the tightest hairpin. I didn’t see the action, but his mistake was in full view when I went by.

Just before the end of the session, I got some good video of a lady in a Cayman R (wouldn’t that be a Caywoman?) spinning in front of me. Entertaining, but I got it slowed down in plenty of time and there was no real danger.

http://youtu.be/NOiGc5LIeDw

After struggling on-track, it was time to get my head screwed on tight. The classroom session was great. Blending the firsthand knowledge of the track with in-car video is very effective, and I even took a ridealong during the lunchtime parade laps with my instructor. Joe had also talked a couple of our coworkers into coming out and they stayed for the next session. Add some good food for lunch, and my brain was working better.

Session 3 was what I hoped for. The track was making sense, and that wonderful sensation of speed and the course flow came together. I was getting it sorted when I noticed something under my feet occasionally. Its crazy to run at speed with a distraction (and potentially block of the pedals) so I had to pull into the hot pits to check it out. My spare eyedrop bottle had come out of my pocket and was rolling around. One of the pit guys snagged it for me and we were off again. I was mad that I had lost some prime track time, and was determined to make the most of the session. I jumped back on track and got after it, passing a couple of cars before spotting Joe’s Camaro a couple of seconds ahead. Game on!!!

By that time in the session, he was struggling a little but it took me nearly a full lap to catch him. As I had started in front of him, he was shocked to see me in the mirror. My having to pit swapped us around on track, but he didn’t know that. LOL. After getting a couple wheels off and dusting me with red dirt, he gave me the point around on the front stretch.

http://youtu.be/N8IEedFWZ7E

Its not out of character, but I’ve thrown all good graces to the wind, and have been feeding him a full ration of crap. He says he was getting motion sickness, but I’d be sick too if I had bought a full coilover setup, swaybar, brakes, and still got passed by the “inferior” solid axle Mustang. He did spend most of that night up with a head cold and didn’t run at all on Sunday with the rain and the effects of feeling ill.

It has been said that the improvement curve is maddeningly jagged, and my final session on Saturday was evidence of that. I ran one quick lap (for me = 2:49.5), but was very inconsistent. It was a little hotter, and my driving was ragged. I was a little tired, but mostly my mind was not sharp.
Sunday brought the rain and cooler temps, and a new instructor as Rob had to leave for a prior engagement. Once again the two tracks were significantly different. The 1.3 was unsealed, and damp grip was very good. The 1.7 has sealer and is very slick and greasy when wet. To compound the challenge, intermittent rain really changed the track from lap to lap. The instructors claim you learn more on one wet lap than 5 or more dry ones and they are probably right. I more than held my own once the rain came, and took back some like the very strong Lingenfelter Corvette that went by me earlier. He was mine for the taking once the rain came.  During the last lap, the lighting changed, and you could very easily see the glare from the normal dry line, and the duller grippier pavement off-line that we used in the wet. Very cool and very useful.

The second session of the morning was completely wet. Steady and sometimes heavy rain with standing puddles. I felt like discretion was the better part of valor so I sat this one out. I was not alone as more than 1/3 of my group did too, but part of me felt like a sissy when 20+ cars hit the track. I talked to my instructor at lunch, and got fired up to go out in the afternoon.

The rain had nearly stopped, and the sky was getting lighter when we went out. The track was merely damp/wet with a few sprinkles so the speeds were increasing rapidly. Holy crap, trying to use the Mustang’s power and torque in the wet requires a delicate touch. Even in 4th gear at 80+ mph I could (and did) easily spin the tires. I didn’t know whether to bust out laughing, be thrilled, or be terrified. I could have dented the steering wheel with my death grip, and felt the strain all the way into my shoulders. My instructor did a great job in pushing me through my comfort zone. It was great training, showing me that I could catch the car when sliding at higher speeds without undue drama. I came off the track confident, but exhausted. Still feeling the full effects of massive adrenaline, I topped off the tank and my legs were like jelly.

By the time the final session came around, the track was pretty dry and the sun even started shining. Driving hard in the damp meant for lots of confidence in the dry. Back in business, but I got held up by a train of cars. Battled through and finally got past them, but the fun ended quickly. I didn’t have time to complete the pass, but I was finally faster than a Cayman R that I was using as a benchmark. Having been humbled earlier, it was very nice to end on a high note and walk away much more confident. Can we do it again tomorrow?

I remain a work in progress with passing setup and high speed cornering nerve on my personal “to-do” list, but really the focus is on expanding out of my comfort zone a little at a time. Once again the car was great. I’m still thrilled how much usable power it has for a 100% stock motor. The brake upgrades were fantastic (zero issues other than generating a bunch of brake dust), and the harnesses held me in secure and strain free.
Next is a 2-day autocross school and event later this month to work on a little car control. At some point I hope to be able to merge the slow and high speed dynamics, but for now they are surprisingly different. I get to learn a new track late in May @ Eagles Canyon. Fun stuff.

Some pics from this weekend:

http://s34.photobucket.com/user/El_T...2013%20%202014
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.

Last edited by El_Tortuga; 04-15-2014 at 10:47 PM.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
Crimson600+HP

Love that track. The 3.1 is the best configuration in my opinion. Very technical and you can't get lost on it otherwise you won't be able to string corners together at speed. I was never able to get lap times there, but now that Harry's Laptimer is on Android I should have some numbers in June. For reference, my roommate ran there last month and threw down a best lap of 2:45.91 in a fairly stock Camaro SS (tune, minor suspension, & brake upgrades). He's solo also, so I am hoping to best his time considering I have a slight power advantage on him.

Good stuff and great pics!
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!

Last edited by Crimson600+HP; 04-16-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
donutninja

Looks like great fun!
donutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #4
DirtyD

I really really want to do this eventually.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
TwoQuack

That's a great track! I had a blast doing the 3.1 on my 1st HPDE event with my car. I learned a great deal and what you wrote sounds very familiar. I watched your vids and my adrenaline got pumping and an itch to get back out there!

How about joining me at the next www.thedriversedge.net event? Sign up is this Monday for the Houston MSR on Jun 21-22.

A guy next to me in the parking area recommended riding along with my instructor in his car during one of the instructor runs. I did and it was enlightening. Afterward the same neighbor said, "if you really want to learn, offer your instructor to drive YOUR car on his run." I did and boy did I get a new appreciation for what my car can do. Since then I was comfortable when it slid, leaned and did other things you don't feel on the street. Instantly, on my next run I was 50% better with my car and my skills. I was so glad I did that.

Great narrative and thanks for sharing.
TwoQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
El_Tortuga

Originally Posted by TwoQuack View Post
That's a great track! I had a blast doing the 3.1 on my 1st HPDE event with my car. I learned a great deal and what you wrote sounds very familiar. I watched your vids and my adrenaline got pumping and an itch to get back out there!

How about joining me at the next www.thedriversedge.net event? Sign up is this Monday for the Houston MSR on Jun 21-22.

A guy next to me in the parking area recommended riding along with my instructor in his car during one of the instructor runs. I did and it was enlightening. Afterward the same neighbor said, "if you really want to learn, offer your instructor to drive YOUR car on his run." I did and boy did I get a new appreciation for what my car can do. Since then I was comfortable when it slid, leaned and did other things you don't feel on the street. Instantly, on my next run I was 50% better with my car and my skills. I was so glad I did that.

Great narrative and thanks for sharing.
No can do, Houston. I'll be just getting back from my Mom's 90th birthday / family reunion in MO. Besides, I'm pacing myself on track days and I've already committed to two autocross events in June. I'll probably flip the mix in 2015, more track than autocross. Next track for me is ECR May 24.

Agreed on the ridealongs. At my 1st event, I rode in my instructor's new C7 'vette. Wow what a rockeship! I haven't given up the keys on track, but did at an autocross. Very humbling and Jeremy taught me a lot about my car in just a couple of minutes. I later found out about some of Jeremy's history at Pikes Peak:
http://youtu.be/bwdC1Yi3OG8

Had I known this, I might not have let him drive my car. LOL.
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
El_Tortuga

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP View Post
Love that track. The 3.1 is the best configuration in my opinion. Very technical and you can't get lost on it otherwise you won't be able to string corners together at speed. I was never able to get lap times there, but now that Harry's Laptimer is on Android I should have some numbers in June. For reference, my roommate ran there last month and threw down a best lap of 2:45.91 in a fairly stock Camaro SS (tune, minor suspension, & brake upgrades). He's solo also, so I am hoping to best his time considering I have a slight power advantage on him.

Good stuff and great pics!
"Slight" power advantage.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
03MachMe

Man I wish I had the money to do these right now. Will prolly be a while before I can afford it tho. Looks like a blast

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
El_Tortuga

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
Man I wish I had the money to do these right now. Will prolly be a while before I can afford it tho. Looks like a blast
I hear you. It's about$6-700 out of pocket for a weekend including travel expenses, gas, and etc. It is amazing.

You are way ahead of where I was when we started with the kids. They are amazing and we did without a LOT for a long time. We've got a lot of college to pay for, does it ever end?
Old 04-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
03MachMe

My mom would most likely say no lol

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
El_Tortuga

Originally Posted by El_Tortuga View Post
I hear you. It's about$6-700 out of pocket for a weekend including travel expenses, gas, and etc. It is amazing.

You are way ahead of where I was when we started with the kids. They are amazing and we did without a LOT for a long time. We've got a lot of college to pay for, does it ever end?
The daughter got her ACT scores back this AM. Let me just say "woo-hoo!!!" Should help a lot with scholarships. Every bit helps.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
Crimson600+HP

Originally Posted by El_Tortuga View Post
The daughter got her ACT scores back this AM. Let me just say "woo-hoo!!!" Should help a lot with scholarships. Every bit helps.
Congrats. More $$$ for track days now!
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote