Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
KurvStr8nr

Originally Posted by Soulowd View Post
I wonder if its about the same as a Barton? Kinda looking at both
I don't think it is. The MGW MT-82 shifter only uses the factory transmission shift linkage arm and replaces the reverse lockout, upper/lower shift box, shifter centering spring, and the rear support bracket. MGW updated their design for 2014 which allows the use of the factory dust boot. MGW claims about a 30% throw reduction. The install is well documented on their website http://mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml.

The Barton short throw shifter only replaces the upper shift box and the rear support bracket. The lower shift box, bushings, shift centering spring, and reverse lockout are still factory parts. Barton claims a 40% reduction in throw with their Dual Pivot Trunion. The install looks a little easier than the MGW, but you're replacing fewer components of the shifter with this kit.

MGW also includes hardware, sound deadening material, Loctite, grease, street & track rear support bracket bushings (diff durometers - both are stiffer than stock bushing), RTV for the rear support bracket, a shift boot grommet (to let you use after market shift knobs with factory boot), and a heat shield.

IMHO - It looks like the MGW kit is more complete and better engineered to give you high performance shift action while minimizing NVH. I'm planning to install the MGW shifter after my suspension work is done.

Coming soon: | MGW 2014 MT-82 Shifter |

Last edited by KurvStr8nr; 02-16-2014 at 03:33 PM.
KurvStr8nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #17
Soulowd

Originally Posted by KurvStr8nr View Post
I don't think it is. The MGW MT-82 shifter only uses the factory transmission shift linkage arm and replaces the reverse lockout, upper/lower shift box, shifter centering spring, and the rear support bracket. MGW updated their design for 2014 which allows the use of the factory dust boot. MGW claims about a 30% throw reduction. The install is well documented on their website http://mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml.

The Barton short throw shifter only replaces the upper shift box and the rear support bracket. The lower shift box, bushings, shift centering spring, and reverse lockout are still factory parts. Barton claims a 40% reduction in throw with their Dual Pivot Trunion. The install looks a little easier than the MGW, but you're replacing fewer components of the shifter with this kit.

MGW also includes hardware, sound deadening material, Loctite, grease, street & track rear support bracket bushings (diff durometers - both are stiffer than stock bushing), RTV for the rear support bracket, a shift boot grommet (to let you use after market shift knobs with factory boot), and a heat shield.

IMHO - It looks like the MGW kit is more complete and better engineered to give you high performance shift action while minimizing NVH. I'm planning to install the MGW shifter after my suspension work is done.
Wow...super informative thanks. Guess ill be going with MGW then

1993 Cobra Black
Bbk shorty's, x-pipe, Flowmasters, bbk TB, bbk Cai,
UD pullies
(240rwhp/280rwtq)
Soulowd is offline   Reply With Quote