Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
JDBishopArts

I'm running 5w20 Mobil 1. Always run Mobil 1 with no issues. On boosted and non boosted cars. I wanted to run Amsoil but I couldn't find a dealer that didnt' want an arm and a leg. I'll order it next time.

The track pack does require you run ford recommend oil to retain the warranty.
JDBishopArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #32
El_Tortuga

Originally Posted by Torsion View Post
I got a little better pricing from the Frisco Ford dealer's parts department last time I bought 5w-50.

I'm track pack too, and I'm stickin' with Motorcraft.
Thanks. I'll remember to check that on the next round.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #33
El_Tortuga

Originally Posted by El_Tortuga View Post
Thanks. I'll remember to check that on the next round.
Should have remembered to check. I went down to 5-star in Carrollton yesterday and they've jacked the price up from $9.90/qt to $14.84/qt. Crazy!!! Bought it online for just under $10/qt.
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #34
TwoQuack

Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
5w50 is the standard weight in the Track Pack cars, just like the Boss models.
Same spec for the Aluminators and all Roush cars.
TwoQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #35
Toby

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
The best racing oil is the cheapest. Ask Toby. Valvoline VR1
VR1 is junk plain and simple. Last engine I tore apart that was using VR1 had an 1/8 inch of sludge in the oil pan. I would not recommend that crap to anyone. Personally I like mobil 1 but have recently become a fan of amsoil. We are a dealer and regularly stock it at the shop with a few select filters.

Just my .02
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #36
Crimson600+HP

If you heavy road track your car is it recommended to run 5w-50? Just curious, anything to help my overheating problems on the track. Currently run 5w-30.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #37
El_Tortuga

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP View Post
If you heavy road track your car is it recommended to run 5w-50? Just curious, anything to help my overheating problems on the track. Currently run 5w-30.
Doubt that it will help the overheat, but should help protect the engine at the high temps.
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #38
Crimson600+HP

Anything helps at this point. With the recent quote on my hail damage from USAA ($1k) I will be going to a collision place for a full quote. If they can cut me a better quote, I will just keep the cash as the damage is hard to see. Use that to fund maybe a new radiator and tiger racing hood. Trying my best to cool the engine down, so if the oil can help, I'm all for it.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:38 AM   #39
garner

Anything helps at this point. With the recent quote on my hail damage from USAA ($1k) I will be going to a collision place for a full quote. If they can cut me a better quote, I will just keep the cash as the damage is hard to see. Use that to fund maybe a new radiator and tiger racing hood. Trying my best to cool the engine down, so if the oil can help, I'm all for it.
Paceline on veterans is really good(they've done the work on all my cars) but they're pricey. Might wanna see what caliber quotes, I've heard they're good too
garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:47 AM   #40
Soulowd

I have track pack as well and I'm sticking with factory specs as well. There is a brand called Redline that a lot of ppl swear by but I've also heard there is a Mobil 1 in 5w50. I know for sure that there is no Royal Purple at that weight

1993 Cobra Black
Bbk shorty's, x-pipe, Flowmasters, bbk TB, bbk Cai,
UD pullies
(240rwhp/280rwtq)
Soulowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #41
Toby

If you are having that big of an issue with heat which would not surprise me with the large intercooler in front of the radiator. I would suggest going with a larger radiator along with doing a remote mounted oil filter and adding a large air to air oil cooler. That should remedy your heat issues.

We can get you the components needed for this modification if you are interested.

Oh and yes run a thicker oil when you track it. It may not affect cooling but it will definately help to protect the bearings will the huge amount of stress you are putting them under with the power and extended runs at the track.

Last edited by Toby; 04-18-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #42
Disturbed

I wanted to jump in and give some useful advice on this thread regarding the 5w50 motorcraft.

Ford is obviously going to recommend their own brand. But this is an "intended use" package on this car, and therefore Ford assumes at least one of us will actually do extreme track work and doesnt want the motor seizing up. Currently, if your a worry wort about your warranty, you can only use Motorcraft 5w50 or you can use the Castrol Syntec 5w50. These as far as I know are the only two Ford will recognize as being covered under warranty due to the specific certifications.

However, UOA's have already shown that 10w30 Amsoil, and even Royal Purple are superior, at least on the analysis sheet. Ford's engineers are not stupid, but what their not telling you, is about the quality of their oil. Under street racing conditions or light tracking, the 5w50 Motorcraft is shearing to a light 5w40 at running tempurature. Under extreme conditions, its even shearing down to a heavy 5w30.

By this, I would rather run a quality oil thats ALWAYS a 30w oil with minimal shearing. Amsoil 10w30 is my choice. And the 10w is soley because we live in Texas.

With a quality 30w, your going to have the same if not better protection, and slightly improved fuel mileage. If your worried about warranty, you can use the cheaper Motorcraft. The same engine runs 5w20 in non track pack AND non boss cars. They assume its your daily driver (the base model), not a race car.

Pick the oil for your intended use, and pick a quality one.

Edited for JDMLOL's reading pleasure

Last edited by Disturbed; 04-18-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #43
JDMLOL

Default 5w50-ouch

Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
The same engine runs 5w20 in non track pack / boss cars

They don't expect boss cars to be on a track???

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #44
Disturbed

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
They don't expect boss cars to be on a track???
You misunderstand

The same engine is in all three trims. The oil changes to 5w50 in their higher trims because they expect them to be driven hard.
I think you know what I meant.
Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #45
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
You misunderstand

The same engine is in all three trims. The oil changes to 5w50 in their higher trims because they expect them to be driven hard.

I think you know what I meant.

I do understand fully. I just expected the boss to be the most track-oriented of the bunch...

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote