Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #46
re-rx7
Banned

You guys are all very off on your understanding of motor oils.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #47
Crimson600+HP

I didn't know that the Boss and track pack cars ran 5w-50 for protection reasons. Given the nature of how I treat my car, I think this is probably the right move to do.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #48
Disturbed

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP View Post
I didn't know that the Boss and track pack cars ran 5w-50 for protection reasons. Given the nature of how I treat my car, I think this is probably the right move to do.
They do, and they both use the same radiator, and engine oil cooler.
Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #49
Disturbed

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
You guys are all very off on your understanding of motor oils.
Hard to argue with oil analysis. But do educate me sir.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #50
re-rx7
Banned

Study hard.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
Old 04-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #51
Disturbed

I have been on that site more then enough. Its nothing new to people who want to know about oil. I am more interested in exactly what it is that your questioning about my oil knowledge. So, if your just going to generalize a lack of knowledge and post "101" links... its not sufficient. Let me know.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #52
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post

However, UOA's have already shown that 10w30 Amsoil, and even Royal Purple are superior, at least on the analysis sheet. Ford's engineers are not stupid, but what their not telling you, is about the quality of their oil. Under street racing conditions or light tracking, the 5w50 Motorcraft is shearing to a light 5w40 at running tempurature. Under extreme conditions, its even shearing down to a heavy 5w30.

By this, I would rather run a quality oil thats ALWAYS a 30w oil with minimal shearing. Amsoil 10w30 is my choice. And the 10w is soley because we live in Texas.

With a quality 30w, your going to have the same if not better protection, and slightly improved fuel mileage. If your worried about warranty, you can use the cheaper Motorcraft. The same engine runs 5w20 in non track pack AND non boss cars. They assume its your daily driver (the base model), not a race car.

Pick the oil for your intended use, and pick a quality one.
Let me ask you this. WHat kinf od wear does that 50 put on an engine at startup?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #53
Disturbed

Let me ask you this. WHat kinf od wear does that 50 put on an engine at startup?
At startup? The 50 isnt as relevant for startup protection as the the first Winter grade number is, and what your particular climate is. Startup engine protection relies heavily on the cold viscosity of your winter grade. Not sure if your attempting to troll or what, because you have yet to actually tell me where the flaw is in said knowledge. If the next response is anything but, I will probably move on to other, more important threads.

Not trying to be offensive at all. But when someone shares knowledge of something they have looked deeply into to help those with questions, theres usually better and / or more detailed responses then "You guys are all very off on your understanding of motor oils." How about you share your knowledge, instead of making a generalized browbeat of others, and leave some details as to how you came to that conclusion.

Last edited by Disturbed; 04-21-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #54
BV600

Great thread I read awhile back on SVTP suggest you 5w-50 users/believers to read.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ight=viscosity
Old 04-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #55
Disturbed

Originally Posted by BV600 View Post
Great thread I read awhile back on SVTP suggest you 5w-50 users/believers to read.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ight=viscosity
Thanks for chiming in.
Looks like Motorcraft 5W-50 shears from 30%-38%
Amsoil Shears 1%-4%

Motorcraft Virgin Viscosity to Used Viscosity - 19.9 - 12.5
Amsoil - 10.5 - 10.1

Might I also add that the motorcraft results were from an engine with 3,800 miles
The amsoil was with 38,000 miles

lol... Just saying... Motorcraft is not great oil. Its sufficient

Last edited by Disturbed; 04-21-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #56
re-rx7
Banned

At startup? The 50 isnt as relevant for startup protection as the the first Winter grade number is, and what your particular climate is. Startup engine protection relies heavily on the cold viscosity of your winter grade. Not sure if your attempting to troll or what, because you have yet to actually tell me where the flaw is in said knowledge. If the next response is anything but, I will probably move on to other, more important threads.

Not trying to be offensive at all. But when someone shares knowledge of something they have looked deeply into to help those with questions, theres usually better and / or more detailed responses then "You guys are all very off on your understanding of motor oils." How about you share your knowledge, instead of making a generalized browbeat of others, and leave some details as to how you came to that conclusion.
My point is simple. YOu dont always have to have a thicker oil if your going to be racing. Conditions are the biggest consideration and a thicker oil can do more harm then good in some situations. In my mind there is no need for a 50 in the stang. Wouldnt you agree?

I use a Penn ultra and it is better then entry level AMsoil in alot of test at a far cheaper price.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #57
Disturbed

My point is simple. YOu dont always have to have a thicker oil if your going to be racing. Conditions are the biggest consideration and a thicker oil can do more harm then good in some situations. In my mind there is no need for a 50 in the stang. Wouldnt you agree?

I use a Penn ultra and it is better then entry level AMsoil in alot of test at a far cheaper price.
Yes I understand your point. This is exactly why I chose a non-shearing 30w for my own car. What you dont realize is why ford suggests the 50 weight. Its because that garbage shears down to a 30 if your actually going hard on the track in the summer time.

They dont expect it to be a 50 at running temp at the track. 50 would be overkill IF it stayed at 50. But it doesnt.

And, thicker oil like 50w doesnt mean shit for startup. 0w50 in harsh winter cold start = fine.
If you run 15w20 in the winter, its just as bad as 15w50. First number is the key for startup. Again, its the winter grade number that determines its cold start viscosity. If Ford's oil didnt shear 1/3 of its viscosity under tracking then they would be suggesting lighter oil. Period.

Last edited by Disturbed; 04-21-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #58
re-rx7
Banned

Yes I understand your point. This is exactly why I chose a non-shearing 30w for my own car. What you dont realize is why ford suggests the 50 weight. Its because that garbage shears down to a 30 if your actually going hard on the track in the summer time.

They dont expect it to be a 50 at running temp at the track. 50 would be overkill IF it stayed at 50. But it doesnt.

And, thicker oil like 50w doesnt mean shit for startup. 0w50 in harsh winter cold start = fine.
If you run 15w20 in the winter, its just as bad as 15w50. First number is the key for startup. Again, its the winter grade number that determines its cold start viscosity. If Ford's oil didnt shear 1/3 of its viscosity under tracking then they would be suggesting lighter oil. Period.
Obviously. I do believe amsoil to be overpriced.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #59
Disturbed

Obviously. I do believe amsoil to be overpriced.
Subjective really... how much is too much for quality? But when compared to other high quality oils, I agree its got a high price tag. Sucks.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #60
re-rx7
Banned

Well Like I was saying. You can get Penn Ultra for around 27$ at walmart for 5gts. Its better then the Entry level Amsoil for 10$ a qt.