Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Supercharged STREET car performance?? (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3275)

Dan12GT 12-15-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinmol (Post 58973)
As far as I know edelbrock kits don't make the power, I personally think they are ugly as well. If they cost the same as the other S/C's then its definitely not worth it.

I honestly cannot say I have even ever heard of someone buying one. The kits advertise efficiency so I really cannot say how well they actually do. The Eddlebrock SEMA car however did make like 495 to the wheels, on the boxed tune the kit comes with. Which is about the same level of power most all of these kits make. Most people obviously get custom tunes or pulley down for more power.

2011gt/cs 12-16-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeek (Post 58989)
If your gonna buy a used car for 30k+ get a 2008+ C6

Honestly, I'd love a C6 Z06, my father had one, but it's honestly not a very practical DD.
Quote:

Originally Posted by PLASMAN (Post 58985)
I would haggle down to $32k maybe its a little high and just because they added $10k of mods the cost doesn't transfer when selling

I would do 32 or even 33, but yeah, 36.5 just seems like a little much to spend on a used mustang gt, even though he does have a decent amount of money sunk into it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5PointSlow (Post 59045)
Can't go wrong with a blown 5.0. My TVS car was one of the ones you were looking at.

Hey man, what's up. Your's is still at the top of my list for sure. It's a beast and very well done.

With all the cars I've looked at recently, I've just been taking my time as to not make a rash decision.

5PointSlow 12-17-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011gt/cs (Post 59109)
Honestly, I'd love a C6 Z06, my father had one, but it's honestly not a very practical DD.

I would do 32 or even 33, but yeah, 36.5 just seems like a little much to spend on a used mustang gt, even though he does have a decent amount of money sunk into it.

Hey man, what's up. Your's is still at the top of my list for sure. It's a beast and very well done.

With all the cars I've looked at recently, I've just been taking my time as to not make a rash decision.

Things are good, just had a couple days inport. that's why im in and out of the forums lol.

KungFuHamster 12-18-2013 09:21 AM

this thread. wow. :okay2:

Dominic Toretto 12-18-2013 10:02 AM

You guys with blowers, are you building the bottom end or just slapping on a blower, boosting the hell out of it and calling it a day?

-Alex

BERT 12-18-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 59158)
You guys with blowers, are you building the bottom end or just slapping on a blower, boosting the hell out of it and calling it a day?

-Alex

I don't think anybody on here is building a bottom end until it lets go. At least not that I can tell.

Dominic Toretto 12-18-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT (Post 59162)
I don't think anybody on here is building a bottom end until it lets go. At least not that I can tell.

Hmmmm... wouldn't it be cheaper to build it right the first time?

-Alex

Crimson600+HP 12-18-2013 11:54 AM

I don't plan on upping the boost in my car anytime soon. I am keeping it fairly tame since this car sees more daily driving and road course duty than time at the strip. If I ever get the wild hair to go faster, I will probably build the bottom end/internals.

BERT 12-18-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 59164)
Hmmmm... wouldn't it be cheaper to build it right the first time?

-Alex

Depends on how long the bottom end lasts lol

Dominic Toretto 12-18-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP (Post 59166)
I don't plan on upping the boost in my car anytime soon. I am keeping it fairly tame since this car sees more daily driving and road course duty than time at the strip. If I ever get the wild hair to go faster, I will probably build the bottom end/internals.

I didn't read the whole thread, how soon does boost come on in the rpm range and how much boost is it tuned for currently?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT (Post 59168)
Depends on how long the bottom end lasts lol

From what I understand the stock crank is already the same forged one in the Boss 302. Not sure about the connecting rods and pistons but I doubt Ford would use Forged pistons and rods on such a highly produced car.

-Alex

BERT 12-18-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 59169)
I didn't read the whole thread, how soon does boost come on in the rpm range and how much boost is it tuned for currently?

From what I understand the stock crank is already the same forged one in the Boss 302. Not sure about the connecting rods and pistons but I doubt Ford would use Forged pistons and rods on such a highly produced car.

-Alex

Been told the rods are the weak point in the GT's

Hagen3great 12-18-2013 01:47 PM

Ive heard the piston ring landings are weak as well.

pohnjarker 12-18-2013 07:45 PM

I heard the driver is the weak link on the new 5.0s...especially in the group

JDBishopArts 12-18-2013 08:24 PM

With a good tune most people are keeping the stock block together up to the 650HP mark. Past that it seems to be just a matter of time.

Toby 12-18-2013 11:49 PM

It's all a shot in the dark. I just tore apart a 100% bone stock 5.0 engine no intake, exhaust etc and it has broken ring lands on 5 pistons!! Cylinders 2, and 5-8 all are broken.

To answer the question about boss vs gt, the cranks are exactly the same save for the balance job. The pistons are a mahle brand forging and the rods are an, IMO, weaker then stock gt, very thin rod. Also there seems to be assumptions that the boss rods and pistons are lighter, when in fact they are heavier then the gt stuff. I will tank pics and give weights tomorrow when I get back to the shop but IMO I would say the gt stuff may be stronger.

<620 rwhp you should be fine unless the ringlands fail. More then that you are just on borrowed time IMO. Another major weaklink is the block for you crazy hp guys. The sleeves are extremely thin, I would not recommend more then 850 rwhp on a stock block. More then that an you are just on borrowed time.

At this point I have built about 15 of these coyote engines with 4 in the shop now waiting to get done. I have pretty much seen every different failure and each time it's either number 8 failure a ringland fails or just too much damn power for a stock short block at 700+.

Take it for what it's worth, this is just my own hands on experience with these engines.

Now to answer the op, personally I am a little bias to procharger. I have installed every brand except vortech and hands down the procharger is the easiest and simplest kit to install. It requires very little to no modification to the vehicle with everything being reversible and not having to cut every piece of plastic under the good like some of the other brands. The kb kits are also very nice but come at a price.

I personally am considering a procharger for my ls swapped c10. Hehe