Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Interior/Exterior (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Looks like I'll be getting one of these... Dang Texas LP Law... (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=2600)

OG Fox 09-07-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 49055)
I promise you there are not enough front plate tickets written to come close to covering the cost of making the extra plate. So explain to me how this is for revenue enhancement.

hey ryan, do you know if antiques have to get a front plate.? because the dmv only gave me one plate. a

03MachMe 09-07-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OG Fox (Post 49056)
hey ryan, do you know if antiques have to get a front plate.? because the dmv only gave me one plate. a

I do not believe they do but I will double check

El_Tortuga 09-07-2013 08:34 AM

Antiques are only single

DirtyD 09-07-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 49055)
I promise you there are not enough front plate tickets written to come close to covering the cost of making the extra plate. So explain to me how this is for revenue enhancement.

Exactly why they should say "no more front plate."

The cost the state could save from producing that extra plate could easily be out towards much better things...like education children.

Dominic Toretto 09-07-2013 09:56 PM

I've passed a few officers recently even travelling higher than the speed limit and not pulled over yet. Knock on crotch. I never had a front plate on my Supra or Corvette. Was only ticketed once for not having a front plate. In that instance I was pulled over for going 3 mph over the speed limit.

-Alex

OG Fox 09-08-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 49150)
I've passed a few officers recently even travelling higher than the speed limit and not pulled over yet. Knock on crotch. I never had a front plate on my Supra or Corvette. Was only ticketed once for not having a front plate. In that instance I was pulled over for going 3 mph over the speed limit.

-Alex

fyi, they were pulling people over at cars n coffee for the front plate. it was crazy.

DirtyD 09-08-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OG Fox (Post 49186)
fyi, they were pulling people over at cars n coffee for the front plate. it was crazy.

Seriously?

Talk about pigs. That's crap they were basically baiting people.

GunsUp 09-08-2013 12:01 PM

Ryan is it true that Corvettes do not have to have a front plate?

Grandpa 09-08-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 49204)
Seriously?

It's not crap. It's the law regardless if you agree with it or not. That is the chance you take when not running a front plate or not abiding by any law. You're aware of it, don't complain if it's enforced against you. The police are there every month, it should come to no surprise people were getting stopped for it.

03MachMe 09-08-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 49204)
Seriously?

Yes explain to me how we baited people to show up with no front plate on their car.... I am willing to bet there were almost no tickets for front plate given. Prolly just letting people know they will be enforcing it once again. But your right plano pd hosted c&c just so they could pull people over for no front plate you figured it out. Good thing you were too busy with your dog so you didn't get baited into the trap.

Dominic Toretto 09-08-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunsUp (Post 49223)
Ryan is it true that Corvettes do not have to have a front plate?

I can answer that without being an officer. Corvettes are just as much a car as anything else and just as required to have a front plate. I had my Corvette for over 5 years and was never pulled over for that reason alone. Most officers from my own personal experience were very cool with me not using one. Never even mentioned it except for one occasion. I've had my unfair share of profiling and blatant harassment from cops but it appears they have other things to worry about than front plates whether or not I was in the wrong or not. But with this law "changing" that may change. Who knows?

-Alex

Grandpa 09-08-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 49229)
Yes explain to me how we baited people to show up with no front plate on their car.... I am willing to bet there were almost no tickets for front plate given. Prolly just letting people know they will be enforcing it once again. But your right plano pd hosted c&c just so they could pull people over for no front plate you figured it out. Good thing you were too busy with your dog so you didn't get baited into the trap.

Ryan, please do not stop drug dealers coming and going from their crack houses any longer. You're entrapping them, you pig. :hahano:

Dominic Toretto 09-08-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 49231)
Ryan, please do not stop drug dealers coming and going from their crack houses any longer. You're entrapping them, you pig. :hahano:

I can understand the argument from both Ryan and Derek's perspective. Yes we all know it's a law but, for the longest time, there was no slaps on the wrists issued. To an enthusiast, the law is a joke to begin with. So to the demographic of people at the meet that have beautiful and stunning cars and would hate to really butcher up the front end, it does seem like a bit much to actually issue tickets. If anything, to maintain the integrity of the meet and keep the environment safe and balanced, if I were one of the cops, I would have just announced at the exit as people were leaving that "Hey guys I know you all were aware that we were not enforcing front plates but, from now on we are."

Seriously, don't you think that would have made a far better impression on everyone(cops and enthusiasts alike) instead of actually issuing tickets? If I were there and I received a ticket, this would definitely re-enforce the general negativity associated with police. If I were at that meet and was simply given a warning, then I would have a much more respectable opinion about the situation. Did they really think most of those people would show up in their super exotics wearing front plates after years of not having to?

-Alex

JDMLOL 09-08-2013 12:58 PM

I really don't see why front plates are such a BFD. You're issued two and are required to display both. If you don't like it get a ticket or get a bracket that either hides it or allows for easy removal at shows. Is it not a fix it ticket anyways?

Grandpa 09-08-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 49234)
I can understand the argument from both Ryan and Derek's perspective. Yes we all know it's a law but, for the longest time, there was no slaps on the wrists issued. To an enthusiast, the law is a joke to begin with. So to the demographic of people at the meet that have beautiful and stunning cars and would hate to really butcher up the front end, it does seem like a bit much to actually issue tickets. If anything, to maintain the integrity of the meet and keep the environment safe and balanced, if I were one of the cops, I would have just announced at the exit as people were leaving that "Hey guys I know you all were aware that we were not enforcing front plates but, from now on we are."

Seriously, don't you think that would have made a far better impression on everyone(cops and enthusiasts alike) instead of actually issuing tickets? If I were there and I received a ticket, this would definitely re-enforce the general negativity associated with police. If I were at that meet and was simply given a warning, then I would have a much more respectable opinion about the situation. Did they really think most of those people would show up in their super exotics wearing front plates after years of not having to?

-Alex

Ignorance is not a legit excuse. You are required by law to keep yourself informed on any laws if you are a licensed driver in the state of Texas. Do people do their due diligence to stay informed, no. But it's not the states responsibility to make sure you are doing what you agreed to when you signed an application for your DL. It's personal accountibilty that you are trying to push off on the state. It's the law, suck it up. If you don't want to be stopped, put your front plate on. If you don't want to run the front plate, don't but then accept the responsibility of your actions. I don't have a plate on the front of the Mach. If I get stopped for it it's my own fault.

Lastly, police officers are not law makers, just enforcers. If you have an issue with the front plate law, write the state. The guy in blue is just doing his job.