Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BAMA Ghost Cam Tune, GOOD OR BAD? (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=1685)

Jeremyd43 05-08-2013 05:58 PM

BAMA Ghost Cam Tune, GOOD OR BAD?

So i recently put the ghost cam tune on my car and i am curious if this has any negative effect on the engine? Of course the BAMA guys said that it doesnt but i have noticed a few things that have me concerned. One thing is that it will occasionally die at idle because it causes the rpm's to go so low to get that lope sound. I have also noticed that sometimes it doesnt make any type of "cam" sound and then i give it a rev and then it will kick in. Finally i have heard on a couple ocassions a kind of knocking sound, i think this is because it almost acts like it wants to stall out at idle. Just not sure if faking it just to get the sound i want is worth it. Maybe there is something i need to do to adjust for this but i dont know what that is.

blownaltered 05-08-2013 06:17 PM

I would put back in the stock tune personally. If you are having drivability issues I would take it out.

Grandpa 05-08-2013 06:21 PM

I wouldn't put a Bama tune on my lawnmower. lol

In all seriousness, poor driveability, no performance gains, very poor gas mileage, cylinder wash. The lope goes away when you touch the pedal because the timing changes. I think it's a silly tune personally, it makes no sense to go out of your way to make your car drive like garbage, but to each to their own.

Jeremyd43 05-08-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownaltered (Post 29153)
I would put back in the stock tune personally. If you are having drivability issues I would take it out.

im not having drivability issues. They are all during idle and only happen every now and then. im just curious if the ghost cam causes any damage to the engine.

Dark Pony 05-08-2013 06:29 PM

It's only good if done right. Shaun at AED knows how to do them pretty well.

Smurf50 05-08-2013 06:43 PM

From what I can see from the reading I found, there should be no damage to the engine since it's only causing more of a rich idle. Your stalling is from the missing data values that the aftermarket tuners did not have...

If you want to keep it, do like Pony said...get it done by someone that knows the ghost tunes very well up at AED :)

zemog255 05-08-2013 07:59 PM

Bama isn't as awful as everyone makes them out to be. I was happy with their tune when i was just bolt on's. I've only seen one auto car run faster than me tune only and he was up north at the "fast tracks"

Have you data logged for bama yet? The issues you are having are common issues with the lope tunes, the tune still needs some final tweaks.

DirtyD 05-08-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zemog255 (Post 29170)
Bama isn't as awful as everyone makes them out to be. I was happy with their tune when i was just bolt on's. I've only seen one auto car run faster than me tune only and he was up north at the "fast tracks"

Have you data logged for bama yet? The issues you are having are common issues with the lope tunes, the tune still needs some final tweaks.

They aren't what they used to be before AM bought them...but there is better

zemog255 05-08-2013 08:45 PM

I bought their tune back in september.. I ran a 12.08@113 with just their 93 race tune and GT 500 mufflers. No track "tricks", full weight preimum brembo auto in 90ft DA. The shifting was crisp and fast. Around town no complaints everything was very responsive. I would rather have their trans tuning than what I have with my lund tune now. There's only so much you can get out of a tune on a stock car and mild bolt ons.

PLASMAN 05-09-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zemog255 (Post 29174)
I bought their tune back in september.. I ran a 12.08@113 with just their 93 race tune and GT 500 mufflers. No track "tricks", full weight preimum brembo auto in 90ft DA. The shifting was crisp and fast. Around town no complaints everything was very responsive. I would rather have their trans tuning than what I have with my lund tune now. There's only so much you can get out of a tune on a stock car and mild bolt ons.

If you're looking for a good auto tune check out VMP-flawless shifting just right. I can take you for a ride if you want to check it out.

re-rx7 05-09-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zemog255 (Post 29174)

I also like my bama tune. I run the 91 performance tune most of the time.
Dnt feel much difference in the 93 but, I'm prolly used to it lol.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 29155)
I wouldn't put a Bama tune on my lawnmower. lol

Yea yea
Quote:

Originally Posted by zemog255 (Post 29170)

This.

downtime! 05-09-2013 03:11 AM

I'll put another vote in for VMP's mail order stuff. Justin's canned tune on my car ran 12 flats at 117 with muffler deletes and dr's. That said, and as good as his mail order stuff is, there is still no substitute for a hands on custom tune by a skilled tuner.

moostang09 05-09-2013 08:13 AM

I heard from a buddy that the only issue that a ghost cam tune can cause is a need to change out spark plugs a little more often. Just bc of extended periods of idle time like sitting in rush hour traffic.

Any truth to that?

Grandpa 05-09-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moostang09 (Post 29235)
I heard from a buddy that the only issue that a ghost cam tune can cause is a need to change out spark plugs a little more often. Just bc of extended periods of idle time like sitting in rush hour traffic.

Any truth to that?

Yes. It's due to all of the unburned fuel from the car running really fat.

Grandpa 05-09-2013 10:02 AM

BTW, Mike Wilson is not even at Bama anymore and hasn't been for awhile. He is back here in DFW and like usual Bama's shady business practices they are still using his names for their tunes even though he's not there.