Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Slapping noise on start up - intermittent (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3025)

brtnstrns 11-02-2013 10:04 PM

Slapping noise on start up - intermittent

I noticed my engine will make a "slapping" sort of noise when I start it up sometimes. Its not every time I start the car but frequently enough for me to notice and catch onto it. Does anyone know what this noise might be?

Noise starts at 0:11 and ends at 0:14

re-rx7 11-03-2013 09:53 AM

MAybe oil pump related. Maybe it takes a few seconds to get everything lubricated.

JDMLOL 11-03-2013 10:09 AM

I know the ls1 based truck motors did something similar. It did it on mine but not nearly as loud. It would do it at least until reached operating temp.

JDBishopArts 11-03-2013 10:54 AM

What oil do you run?

brtnstrns 11-03-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDBishopArts (Post 55153)
What oil do you run?

Castrol GTX 5W-30 with a Fram Tough Guard filter. I was told on another forum the Fram is a really bad filter to run with the 4V. Also, I was told by the previous owner to not run synthetic till it hit 50k miles (currently at a little over 48k) since the engine was rebuilt not long ago (mileage-wise - year-wise it was 2008).

Sieran 11-03-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtnstrns (Post 55157)
Castrol GTX 5W-30 with a Fram Tough Guard filter. I was told on another forum the Fram is a really bad filter to run with the 4V. Also, I was told by the previous owner to not run synthetic till it hit 50k miles (currently at a little over 48k) since the engine was rebuilt not long ago (mileage-wise - year-wise it was 2008).

I have heard bad things about Fram and their anti-flow back valves on the filters. I had a similar sound on my Jeep Wrangler when I ran a Fram once... switched back to the Mopar one and the noise went away.

brtnstrns 11-03-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieran (Post 55170)
I have heard bad things about Fram and their anti-flow back valves on the filters. I had a similar sound on my Jeep Wrangler when I ran a Fram once... switched back to the Mopar one and the noise went away.

Really? That's what the other person said. Seems like its the first step I need to take. Is it likely that something is damaged or am I probably okay? It hasn't been happening for too long.

re-rx7 11-03-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtnstrns (Post 55157)

The whole mileage thing is BS. You can use synthetic whenever. Switch to a Wix or OE Ford filter see if it helps.

Sieran 11-03-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtnstrns (Post 55171)
Really? That's what the other person said. Seems like its the first step I need to take. Is it likely that something is damaged or am I probably okay? It hasn't been happening for too long.

I have never heard anyone say they had damage from this, but it probably isn't "good" for the engine.

I would think it is just a cheap first step to troubleshoot. Quart or two of oil and a new filter is less than 30 bucks.

Yagermeister 11-03-2013 09:00 PM

For some reason I seem to think there might be a TSB for this...take it to your dealer and have them look at it.

brtnstrns 11-03-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yagermeister (Post 55191)
For some reason I seem to think there might be a TSB for this...take it to your dealer and have them look at it.

Oh this car has absolutely zero factory parts on it. In fact the only factory parts are probably the block and the shaker.

Yagermeister 11-03-2013 11:05 PM

Gotcha

fordplay 11-04-2013 08:22 AM

I'd throw some motor honey in the oil and sell it... OK it might not be that bad.. you are thinking its rod knock and you want us to give another answer.. it could .. might maybe be piston slap.. it might have been there since you bought it?? In which case.. allllll ls motors do it, Mercedes do it and some new 5.0 do it.. just keep track of it and see if it gets worse