Thread: DUI's
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #58
03MachMe

Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
I've written a thesis on this subject in my criminal law course a few years back. There are more accidents from individuals who drink less than 5 regular sized beverages. Individuals who are severely intoxicated .2 or more usually are pulled over immediately or crash into objects other than vehicles. Its those individuals who have a BAC of .1 or less that are most dangerous as they don't realize how intoxicated they are. The laws are placed there for a reason, multiple studies were conducted to ensure the proper BAC limit. There were recommendations for individuals with .15 and lower to receive harsher punishments.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
I would probably say more accidents but at what level are the most fatalities. When someone takes out a minivan on the tollway going the wrong way they are always above a .15 according to the news. That's my thing, I thnk more deaths are caused by the real drunks
Not true. The ones that are between .08 and .15 or so are the most dangerous because they do not realze they are intoxicated plus being intoxicated takes away their inhibition and they believe they are invincible. There for they are more likely to speed, weave in and out of traffic, and try and make that yellow light but they never see it turn red. The ones over .2 usually know they are drunk and are overly cautious. They are easy to spot because they will be going 10 under and can't stay in their lane and running up on curbs.

Now I get what your trying to say but the fact is that until the public treats this as the problem it really is, nothing will change. I agree 30 days in jail might be a little much, our jail wouldn't be able to hold all the DWIs we get in a month, but just the overnight stay they get at most usually is far too small a punishment

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote