Thread: Oil Change
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
TurboZ

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
I also changed over to 10w30 since we live in a generally warmer region and that weight of oil will work better with hotter ambient temperatures.
Amsoil is great shit! Just be careful with changing weights. As the motors age and sludge and varnish begin to build up in the motor, the small passages that control things such as variable valve timing, or oil squirters in the block that cool the pistons, they have a harder time pushing thicker oils. Even in 110 degree climates. From the few Ford briefings i've been to, along with other manufacturers that are starting to put more technology into these motors. When they say 5w20, they mean 5w20 lol. So if you start to have any issues with anything that is oil controlled, think about switching back to 5w20. After all they did spend endless amounts of money and man hours engineering the thing, I'd imagine they wanted 5w20 in for a reason. A lot of the eco boost motors are coming back with these problems, people take them to kwik kar and don't know any better. End up with bulk 30w oil or something and wonder why shit quits working lol.

**83 Turbo 280ZX** - Megasquirt 2 v3.0 Stand alone EMS, n42 head swap (8.3:1 cr), n42 intake, 60mm throttle body, z31 watercooled T3, NXS Manual boost controller (12psi) MSD Blaster 2 Coil, Apexi 3" Turboback Exhaust, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Greddy Type-S BOV, DNA Motoring FMIC, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, CX Racing SR20 Radiator, Custom Ram Air Intake, Suspension Techniques Sway Bars, Eibach 2" Pro Lowering Springs, Tokico Blue HP Shocks, Energy Suspension LCA, Subframe, & End link Bushings
TurboZ is offline   Reply With Quote