View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Varilux

Also the cost shouldnt matter to you or dont tune it. If your complaining about $200 to tune it think about the $7k motor behind it.
Thanks for the info. If $110-180 is the going rate, that is fine... it just seems I see a lot of people indicating they paid $32-50 for their dealer to do the tune.

Not sure I understand the whole "if cost matters to you, you shouldn't tune it" philosophy. Unless one has unlimited funds (which is not my situation), its always prudent to do a bit of research on what things cost (balanced against being "penny wise and pound foolish"). I will be paying a dealer to install the tune- I just wanted to ensure my dealer isn't charging a lot more than the average. If cost mattered that much to me, I'd be driving a (ugh) Honda Accord!

If you think that FRPP "warranty" for procal is going to cover you, you may be surprised.
Well, before slapping a tune on a $7k motor with under 2k miles on the odometer, I have done just a bit of research. The Ford Racing tune is very safe (because it is by no definition an aggressive tune), there are virtually zero records of issues created by the tune, and- having read the warranty statement- I think one would have a pretty good case if all the recommended maintenance was followed and the only modification made was having a Ford Racing tune which was installed by an authorized Ford dealer if engine issues do occur.

The procal tune is a waste of money for the results.
On the contrary, I think its a bargain for what I want to accomplish. The only part of the cars performance I find disappointing is low end torque and quirky throttle response (which is exactly what this tune addresses according to dozens of post-install posts on various forums). Also, I'd like a moderately more aggressive sounding exhaust- and the GT500 mufflers seem to fit that bill as well.

Still to each his own, and I do appreciate the input on Town East!

'65 Coupe Silver Smoke Grey, Red interior, 200 I-6, T-5spd
'03 Convertible Silver Metallic, grey interior, V6
'14 GT Coupe, Sterling Gray, Brick Red interior, 5.0, 6M
Varilux is offline   Reply With Quote