View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #59
Crimson600+HP

Well, I got the word back today. Turns out my inclinations of a bad casting were substantiated. There were irregular casting marks in the metal of the piston, indicting a weak spot in the piston itself. It was only a matter of time, given the SC & the higher run temps in cylinder #8 accelerated the catastrophic failure. Everything else pertaining to the block were still fine, so right now it's just a replacement piston and rod bearing. That has my wallet feeling much better than having to dish out the dough for a forged setup that is really not needed for the power levels (575 RWHP) that I will be staying at.

For future peace of kind, I will be having the head cooling mod and probably billet oil pump gears while the block is torn apart. After it's all back together we will check the compression to make sure everything is in specs. But it looks like I will be saving about $1500 & will have the car running in about a week after everything comes back in.

Today has been a good day.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote