Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 AM   #16
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by pohnjarker View Post
you're welcome. im prior military but im over here as a shady contractor sucking from the govt. teet

the majority of power is in the tune, you're right.
I may just do the tune for now. The intake Im still on the fence.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #17
46Tbird

I wouldn't bother swapping gears. And this is from someone with 3.73s. Mileage suffers significantly, and if you are running a stock height tire (27") you will need to shift to fifth before the quarter.

My suggestion is to get some lowering springs to keep wheel hop at bay. Then some sticky tires so it will hook up. Then start practicing your driving because that's where your ET will be made or broken. Once you have it down, start working on making more power.

There is a guy on another forum going 11.7 with 3.31s, a Boss intake, an AED tune, and stock 18" Pirellis. He is also running at Atco and MIR in the Atlantic northeast, but his times are still really impressive.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I wouldn't bother swapping gears. And this is from someone with 3.73s. Mileage suffers significantly, and if you are running a stock height tire (27") you will need to shift to fifth before the quarter.

My suggestion is to get some lowering springs to keep wheel hop at bay. Then some sticky tires so it will hook up. Then start practicing your driving because that's where your ET will be made or broken. Once you have it down, start working on making more power.

There is a guy on another forum going 11.7 with 3.31s, a Boss intake, an AED tune, and stock 18" Pirellis. He is also running at Atco and MIR in the Atlantic northeast, but his times are still really impressive.
Looking at Eibachs pros for lowering duties. Thanks for posting since you have 3:73's. Damn those are gd times. I hear conflicting stories on the boss intake. Should that be the last mod after x pipe? Or should I go ahead and grab one?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
Dark Pony
Supporting Member

Fortunately, I've got a smoking deal on ALL of my parts. Boss intake, JLT CAI, VMP tune, Dynatech Long tubes, full 3" exhaust with o/r xpipe and Magnaflow mufflers. I'm happy with all of the mods, but just understand there wi be a torque loss with a Boss intake. I lost 22 ft lbs...the only reason why I bought is because I plan to go FI. Congrats on the car! When the Mod Bug bites, it bites hard :-)
Old 04-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
aaron@jpcracing

Give me a shout if you're looking to start throwing some mods on your car.

I might be able to work you up a package deal so we can get it all done at once

Justin's Performance Center
aaron@jpcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
pohnjarker

Originally Posted by Dark Pony View Post
I'm happy with all of the mods, but just understand there wi be a torque loss with a Boss intake. I lost 22 ft lbs...the only reason why I bought is because I plan to go FI.
what gears do you have?

i have 3.73s and it didnt feel like i lost much torque at all. maybe its because once i get into it, when i shift gears, it puts me right in the sweet spot of the next gear.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
46Tbird

The Boss intake is worthwhile when you are spinning it over 6500 rpm. At anything under that, you are making less power and getting worse mileage than a stock GT intake. You will get good times if you aren't scared to rev the piss out of your engine all the way down the track.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #23
pohnjarker

i have dyno graphs for before and after i put on the boss intake, i thought i had them in my photobucket but i dont. however, i agree, the boss intake makes the most power from 6500, where the stock intake starts to taper off, but the amount of power loss under that is negligible compared to a stock intake. then once you put other parts that add HP, that difference goes away real quick. IMO

i know one thing, i wont be putting the boss intake on with my Paxton. As it is the stock IM + Centrificals make peak power at 7300-7400. Adding a Boss IM will raise peak RPM power to 8K+.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #24
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by aaron@jpcracing View Post
Give me a shout if you're looking to start throwing some mods on your car.

I might be able to work you up a package deal so we can get it all done at once
Def hit you up. I got some cash stowed away so Im gna be buying something soon. Just want to do my reasearch first.

Originally Posted by Dark Pony View Post
Fortunately, I've got a smoking deal on ALL of my parts. Boss intake, JLT CAI, VMP tune, Dynatech Long tubes, full 3" exhaust with o/r xpipe and Magnaflow mufflers. I'm happy with all of the mods, but just understand there wi be a torque loss with a Boss intake. I lost 22 ft lbs...the only reason why I bought is because I plan to go FI. Congrats on the car! When the Mod Bug bites, it bites hard :-)
Was the loss extremely noticable? Was it worth the Tq loss? I Plan on going the same route that you have except for the headers.
what gears do you have?

i have 3.73s and it didnt feel like i lost much torque at all. maybe its because once i get into it, when i shift gears, it puts me right in the sweet spot of the next gear.
I have 3:31's. It sounds like 3:73's are needed for the Boss intake.
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
The Boss intake is worthwhile when you are spinning it over 6500 rpm. At anything under that, you are making less power and getting worse mileage than a stock GT intake. You will get good times if you aren't scared to rev the piss out of your engine all the way down the track.
Arent you supposed to rev the piss out of it going down the track? LOL
i have dyno graphs for before and after i put on the boss intake, i thought i had them in my photobucket but i dont. however, i agree, the boss intake makes the most power from 6500, where the stock intake starts to taper off, but the amount of power loss under that is negligible compared to a stock intake. then once you put other parts that add HP, that difference goes away real quick. IMO

i know one thing, i wont be putting the boss intake on with my Paxton. As it is the stock IM + Centrificals make peak power at 7300-7400. Adding a Boss IM will raise peak RPM power to 8K+.
I can see where a Boss intake wouldnt be good for that powerband. You should sale me yours now.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #25
pohnjarker

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
I can see where a Boss intake wouldnt be good for that powerband. You should sale me yours now.
unfortunately, i got rid of it a year ago when i got a new tune and was so caught up on torque numbers, it was ridiculous.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #26
re-rx7
Banned

Well shit man. lol I've already picked up a SCT and intake. Now just need to get with TS to get it tuned.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #27
pohnjarker

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Well shit man. lol I've already picked up a SCT and intake. Now just need to get with TS to get it tuned.
sounds like a plan
Old 04-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #28
GrabberMatt

By far the most rewarding mods to the car are on the suspension side, IMO.
Springs/Struts/LCAs
These make a tremendous difference in the way the car drives and feels.

2011 Grabber Blue 5.0
GrabberMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
re-rx7
Banned

I tend to agree with what you say about suspension. Right now, I got the power bug.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #30
Midnight11
El Presidente

i love my boss intake. shifting at 7700 is pretty fun lol

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote