Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Default CAI Throwdown

This ended up a bit long for sure! But grab a comfortable seat and press on!

I’ve been getting a lot of questions about CAI’s for the 5.0’s the past couple of weeks. Maybe it’s tax returns burning a hole? Maybe it’s the “flavor of the month”? So I found some free time and thought I’d take it upon myself to read as many forums and reviews as I could come across to get a feel for what folks felt about the bolt-on (outside of my own opinions). Regardless; with all the information, reviews, testing, and different brands available, many still wonder whether or not a CAI could even be an improvement over the OEM box. And if so, how much? The answer? Yes! But to what extent and is it really worth the price?

The common complaint that I’ve seen CAI’s getting is the manufactures “peak” increase vs. what folks are seeing on their own rides. Some are less than impressed. I feel the misconception here is that peak horsepower from one person may mean a different peak horsepower to another. Some, when referring to peak horsepower, feel it’s the end Dyno result of what the cars overall measured gain was at the tires. Others refer to it as the point along the entire rpm range that the car witnessed the largest gain (a different measurement all together).

I set off to gather my own research from top sources, outside of forums and other written text, to provide the most accurate data I could muster to aid in the understanding and decision to purchase the bolt-on or not. I wanted to know where the numbers were coming from and how they justified their gains Vs. stock. Keep in mind that each manufacturer tests their product in completely different atmospheres. The information below is based off my own experiences and the data I was able to gain through 1 on 1 conversation’s straight from the techs themselves. And therefore; my subsequent opinions based off those experiences and the information they provided. I used the 2011 GT as my example to each manufacturer to sell me on their product. Here’s what they had to offer and in no particular order:

AEM advertises an 8hp/10tq increase with “no tune required”. They recorded an overall increase vs. stock through roughly 60% of the range. They experienced their “peak gain” of 8hp at 5k rpm and 10tq at 3.4k rpm.

According to their tech; AEM tests with a closed hood using 2 mule cars stock from the lot and no tune. Next to JLT’s paint & fiber options, this is one of the slickest looking kits IMO (especially for you sterling cats) and is on par with most of the competition after tuning.

Airaid advertises an 11hp/11tq increase with “no tune required”. They recorded an 11hp “peak gain” @ 4.5k and 11tq @ 6300 with a steady improvement from almost 3.5k.

I was unfortunately unable to reach anyone who could tell me more of their testing and hands on experience behind the numbers. I was told pretty much what I could find via their website.

Roush, uh…yeah, Roush. Perhaps I was unfortunate enough to reach someone having a far worse day than I. But he was uninterested in going into detail with me to say the least. According to him they don’t publish numbers whatsoever due to atmospheric differences. I completely understand that aspect 100%! But when it came down to the end of the 120 second conversation, I was far from convinced and even less compelled to purchase what they had to offer me. It also doesn't help that, to me, its the least cosmetic of the bunch.

K&N advertises a 20hp/26tq increase with “no tune required”. They recorded their 20hp “peak” at 5.4k and 26tq at 4.6k RPM.

K&N’s testing far outweighed others I had spoken with. They performed 5 pulls between 3 stock, and stock only, mules during closed hood testing. They then averaged the pulls between the highest and lowest numbers to come up with their results. After Dyno tests, they conduct real world drive testing over 2 days to ensure the integrity of their product. I also dig the fact their enclosed design is not only sharp looking, but is clearly functional by drawing air from a duct near the bottom similar to AEM. Though they do not share the same designer, AEM kits are also manufactured by K&N.

JLT advertises a 25-30hp increase with a “required tune”. Their recorded “peak gains” (on top of the tune) averaged 14hp/11tq through much of the scale.

JLT uses no metals in their design and offer some of the largest, most customizable, kits among the field. It had been some time since JLT’s testing from when the 5.0 first debuted, but they pointed me to youtube clips of testing to contribute to their numbers. They tested with stock vehicles, much like the rest, while making Dyno runs with a stock setup, then tuned, then CAI & tune to come to their net gains. Solid testing and vids conducted by JLT themselves to back it up. Something consumers crave!

Steeda advertises a 38hp/40tq increase with a “required tune”. No info was available as to the “peak” areas for these numbers. And their results are widely based off of reported numbers by trusted installers across the nation.

Steeda uses a specially designed, curved mouth inside the filter housing that smooths incoming air into the sampling area. I was told they also believe that the larger the tube isn’t necessarily better as it still constricts down to the TB though they’ve since gone up in size to a 103mm.

Injen advertises a 10hp/11tq increase over stock with “no tune required”. I was unfortunately unable to be told at what RPM.

Injen, in their words, “replicated” all fuel parameters through their patented MR technology to near stock while maximizing air flow. The approach towards testing was different from most but similar to JLT’s. They Dyno’d their stock donor in stock form. Installed the CAI and recorded their 10hp/11tq gains. The car then went through 2 days of software tuning in stock form. After that was 2 days of tuning with the CAI in place.

C&L was a bit different in their approach to their marketing for CAI’s. They claim “the best no tune required” kit for the 5.0’s. They incorporated the ability to send a “same as stock” signal to the computer via “duplicating” fuel parameters which keeps the car from knowing anything had changed, (similar to Injen etc.) but nets a performance increase nonetheless. Whether they speak of their own MVT (modular venture tube), which other “no tune required” companies also use, is uncertain to me.

I was pumped full of numbers and testing that clearly backed C&L as having done the most research out there. But in the end, all testing was flow data alone (no dyno, mules etc.) and could only report what their customer shops were reporting. But I was given an 11hp gain from 4k RPM up to redline and an 18-20hp gain for the BOSS.

With the exception of Roush, all the companies I talked with were helpful and eager to sell their product and I had zero complaints. But throughout my conversations, K&N and Injen (surprisingly enough) drove a hard bargain and convinced me the most that I needed their product above all others. I, myself, am a K&N fan and almost feel bad saying that as Injen’s rep was brilliant at doing his job for his company. But in the end, K&N has been in the game longer than most and I can attest to their impeccable customer service first hand with my own K&N parts.

But if you’re a numbers guy, myself included, let’s see how things stack up! So if we take the “no tune required” numbers I was given and add a 15hp (on average) tune increase as a control, here’s what we’ve got:

AEM: +23
Airaid: +26
Roush: N/A
K&N: +35
JLT: 25-30 (tune required kit/no theoretical gains)
Steeda: 38 (tune required kit/no theoretical gains)
C&L: +26
Injen: +25

IMO, a 30hp increase is a seat of the pants difference! As a tuning shop we still absolutely recommend tuning any CAI installation no matter the brand to prevent any future lean conditions. K&N, though they produce a “no tune required” kit, feels a tune is not only a great addition to the kit but also safe practice. And who wouldn’t want a Dyno sheet of the improvement anyhow?! The CAI mod is definitely beneficial and especially for future mods as one compliments the other in many cases! But many require a tune to really wake up. So averaging roughly $350, and coupled with a programmer and a custom tune, CAI’s are clearly an advantageous HP mod and one of the best for the price! Thought I'd share.

Last edited by TrueStreetTim; 04-03-2013 at 05:27 PM.
TrueStreetTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I could add a lil info to this. My car is already tuned with the stock airbox. I recently picked up a C&L that is sitting in my trunk. We can bolt it on and re-tune it to see a real world difference rather than nonsense ad numbers. I think most of those numbers they are reporting comes from the tunes and not CAIs. But im interested to find out for sure.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I could add a lil info to this. My car is already tuned with the stock airbox. I recently picked up a C&L that is sitting in my trunk. We can bolt it on and re-tune it to see a real world difference rather than nonsense ad numbers.
We'd love to do some before and afters in house for sure! Just not enough CAI and CAI/Tune opportunities. Most couple other items etc. nor do we see each kit available. I'd look forward to this!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
MidWest281

I find it hard to believe that you get 35hp from a Cold Air Intake. I don't think it's the fresh air inlet that makes a difference, it's most likely just the air filter that makes the difference. The aftermarket air filter just restricts airflow less than a stock air filter.

Changing your exhaust system has the same effect, typically reducing back pressure.

You don't need to buy a CAI "system" to see horsepower gains...just allow air to more freely flow into (or out of) your engine and you'll see horsepower gains.

my .02

2013 Performance White Boss 302
-Stock

2002 Mineral Gray GT
-VT engines Stage 2 N/A cams, full SLP exhaust, 4.10 gear...etc.
MidWest281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim View Post
We'd love to do some before and afters in house for sure! Just not enough CAI and CAI/Tune opportunities. Most couple other items etc. nor do we see each kit available. I'd look forward to this!
Just let me know when you guys want to do it. I'm game anytime.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by MidWest281 View Post
I find it hard to believe that you get 35hp from a Cold Air Intake. I don't think it's the fresh air inlet that makes a difference, it's most likely just the air filter that makes the difference. The aftermarket air filter just restricts airflow less than a stock air filter.

Changing your exhaust system has the same effect, typically reducing back pressure.

You don't need to buy a CAI "system" to see horsepower gains...just allow air to more freely flow into (or out of) your engine and you'll see horsepower gains.

my .02
You don't get 35hp just from the intake. That hp number includes a tune and that's where most of the power comes from.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
MidWest281

His k&n numbers don't match at the top compared to below (no tune required product)

2013 Performance White Boss 302
-Stock

2002 Mineral Gray GT
-VT engines Stage 2 N/A cams, full SLP exhaust, 4.10 gear...etc.
MidWest281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

I think it was Steeda that mentioned they felt the stock box was adequate to 4k RPM. And that a CAI only improves up to 4k by roughly 1.5%. Therefore; even an element upgrade alone would net better gains.

His k&n numbers don't match at the top compared to below (no tune required product)
I gathered this over 8 days so it's not beyond me to miss something, but K&N's "no tune required" claim of "20hp" + 15hp tune control = 35hp (theoretically). Is this what your referring to? I want to make changes if I've missed something.

In addition to the write-up, each year model may see different gains. And each car is not created equal and the results, though untested in house and theoretical at best, will vary.

Last edited by TrueStreetTim; 04-03-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
IHateThisSite

With all of this ... I would like to see numbers from a drop in filter .. And a tune ... I think the intake is purely a looks thing ... Kinda like most exhaust mods are for sound more than power... Nothing wrong with that ..

Ps... Thanks for the amazing write up... Major thumbs up..
IHateThisSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
46Tbird

The only thing I find concerning about "CAIs" is that they don't do a good enough job of isolating hot underhood air from the intake stream. Some of them have no shield at all, or a cheezy plastic barrier and piece of weatherstrip. A few of them use a fully shielded box and I like that. Another concern is some CAIs produce noisy MAF signals, hurting driveability and power.

I don't think they're all bad. The smooth intake tube with a larger diameter and all that surface area on the conical filter is a no-brainer for making good power. Plus they just look great, especially the Steeda (IMO).

I like that the stock airbox is sealed and feeds from the grille opening, behind the fog light where inlet temps are ambient. Several cars are going deep 11s with this piece so I think I'll stick with the stock airbox for now.

I'm very interested in a back-to-back-to-back comparo of all these brands on one car on the same day. I know dyno time is hard to get at TS and you'd rather have a paying customer on it than some useless dyno flog, but it would be good info for all of us.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Originally Posted by IHateThisSite View Post
With all of this ... I would like to see numbers from a drop in filter .. And a tune ... I think the intake is purely a looks thing ... Kinda like most exhaust mods are for sound more than power... Nothing wrong with that ..

Ps... Thanks for the amazing write up... Major thumbs up..
No one I talked to mentioned any testing with drop in's. But I didn't ask either as it wasn't my inquiry. This would be well to see. But given the evidence, a drop in should pick up past 4k if nowhere else.

P.S...I love you too.

The only thing I find concerning about "CAIs" is that they don't do a good enough job of isolating hot underhood air from the intake stream. Some of them have no shield at all, or a cheezy plastic barrier and piece of weatherstrip. A few of them use a fully shielded box and I like that. Another concern is some CAIs produce noisy MAF signals, hurting driveability and power.
The K&N and AEM products have good cutaway shots where they incorporate a grill facing inlet into the sealed box. Also the "duplicated signal" is something I can't attest to it's ability to do it's job as intended either. Hence a custom tune...recommended...always IMO.

Last edited by TrueStreetTim; 04-03-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
DirtyD

Default CAI Throwdown

Tim, if I can ever get the chance to come in, we can see how my car does in stock + AB trim with the K&N intake. I've had it a couple months now and I could definitely feel a SOTP difference without a tune. We can see if we can back up K&N's claims.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Tim, if I can ever get the chance to come in, we can see how my car does in stock + AB trim with the K&N intake. I've had it a couple months now and I could definitely feel a SOTP difference without a tune. We can see if we can back up K&N's claims.
I dig that!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #14
Pepperinyoureye

See and I have the carbon fiber K&N intake and I honestly felt no difference at all. No tune on my car either.
Pepperinyoureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
KingJJ24

I just picked up a Airaid and Ill post up before and after numbers this weekend
KingJJ24 is offline   Reply With Quote