Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
re-rx7
Banned

Default 2011 5.0 bone stock...mods?

New to the domestic game. Not sure on mods to get so Ive been researching various forums. What I have came up with so far are Intake, Tune, Gears (.73). I never plan to boost the car so it will stay all motor. I was looking at the SCT SF3 tuner as it seems a bunch of people have it. One guy on here says he has one that still has to unlock? Not sure what that means. Sorry for the Noob questions but any help is appreciated.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
CMORENO302

Default 2011 5.0 bone stock...mods?

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
New to the domestic game. Not sure on mods to get so Ive been researching various forums. What I have came up with so far are Intake, Tune, Gears (.73). I never plan to boost the car so it will stay all motor. I was looking at the SCT SF3 tuner as it seems a bunch of people have it. One guy on here says he has one that still has to unlock? Not sure what that means. Sorry for the Noob questions but any help is appreciated.
Boss manifold, cai, tune, off road midpipe, and axle backs. Then suspension. Good luck deciding part brands. I like steeda's cai since they kept the use of the factory grill air duct. Definitely the coolest air to absorb. I have slp's axle backs. And I like the sound. Everybody has different opinions on sound though. Lethal performance, I hear makes a great quality product. I don't know since I don't have one lol.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Don't apologize for the questions, that's what this place is for.

The tuner being "locked" means it's married to the one car and needs to be returned to stock before you would be able to use it on your car.

The basic mods for these cars are exhaust and a tune. Opinions of intakes vary to how much they actually help at all. The stock box seems to work pretty well. At the very least a intake will make the engine bay look better if not pick a couple of HP.

Some people add the Boss intake as a basic mod to the list, but I don't agree with this because of the massive torque loss in N/A form. It's great for boosted applications for sure, but there is a big loss in torque in N/A form for sure.

As for tuners, the SCT Xcal is pretty much a standard. There are other tuners out there, but most tuners prefer the SCT's over everything else.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Don't apologize for the questions, that's what this place is for.

The tuner being "locked" means it's married to the one car and needs to be returned to stock before you would be able to use it on your car.

The basic mods for these cars are exhaust and a tune. Opinions of intakes vary to how much they actually help at all. The stock box seems to work pretty well. At the very least a intake will make the engine bay look better if not pick a couple of HP.

Some people add the Boss intake as a basic mod to the list, but I don't agree with this because of the massive torque loss in N/A form. It's great for boosted applications for sure, but there is a big loss in torque in N/A form for sure.

As for tuners, the SCT Xcal is pretty much a standard. There are other tuners out there, but most tuners prefer the SCT's over everything else.
Thank you for your reply Steve. So would just a K&n drop in be the best bang for the buck? Alot of stock boxes these days work wonders even in the Import world. The design looks pretty efficient. THe tuner in the for sale section says "two unlocks left" nd that it is unlocked. As for gears....What is everyones take on going 3.73? I get my dads rate on shop time so gears and install together will cost less then 400.
This is the ad for the tuner. If I bought this would I be able to just plug it up and flash or sghould I just buy new? Im debating gears or intake/tune.
http://dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=1407
Old 04-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
Zeek

If you buy the tuner you ether need to buy a email tune from a company for your specific mods or take it to a tuner like True Street and they use it to tune your car. With my steeda CAI that I have for sale I gained 12hp and better throttle response I have the dyno sheets to prove it.
Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
re-rx7
Banned

I purchased gt500 axle backs today.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
If you buy the tuner you ether need to buy a email tune from a company for your specific mods or take it to a tuner like True Street and they use it to tune your car. With my steeda CAI that I have for sale I gained 12hp and better throttle response I have the dyno sheets to prove it.
Did you tune this or just straight intake? on the tuner I thought they came with pre-loaded tunes as well?

Last edited by re-rx7; 04-13-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Zeek

Just the intake. The tuner doesn't have any usable tunes on it for our cars ATM I bought it and didn't ever get my car tuned. I was gonna get a e85 tune at TS
Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Thank you for your reply Steve. So would just a K&n drop in be the best bang for the buck? Alot of stock boxes these days work wonders even in the Import world. The design looks pretty efficient. THe tuner in the for sale section says "two unlocks left" nd that it is unlocked. As for gears....What is everyones take on going 3.73? I get my dads rate on shop time so gears and install together will cost less then 400.
This is the ad for the tuner. If I bought this would I be able to just plug it up and flash or sghould I just buy new? Im debating gears or intake/tune.
http://dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=1407
The tests that MMFF and SVTP did they actually showed a loss of HP from a drop in K&N filter over the factory paper filter.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
Just the intake. The tuner doesn't have any usable tunes on it for our cars ATM I bought it and didn't ever get my car tuned. I was gonna get a e85 tune at TS
I may take you up on that intake.

The tests that MMFF and SVTP did they actually showed a loss of HP from a drop in K&N filter over the factory paper filter.
I'll be damned. Thats crazy. Whats your take on 3.73's?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 AM   #11
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I'll be damned. Thats crazy. Whats your take on 3.73's?
In my opinion, I think they are fine for basic bolt-ons. But when more serious power is added later down the road most people end up ditching the 3.73's because they so easily overwhelm the tires and also it's close to banging out on the rev-limiter at the track just short of the traps.

I personally really like my 3.31's for a street car and my car will be boosted at some point.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #12
pohnjarker

ive said this before so i'll say it again...skip the CAI unless you get a screaming deal on a used one and want it for the sound. dyno numbers are meaningless for items like this that could possibly net you 3-5 horses on the dyno. ive seen dyno sheets that have 3 back to back runs and will fluctuate between 5-10 horses just on that. i'd say stick with the stock intake unless you like the look and sound of aftermarket CAIs.

i drank the koolaid a couple years ago when i first got my GT and spent like 700 or so on a brand new SCT tuner with BAMA tunes and JLT carbon fiber CAI. if i had it to do over again, id buy a used tuner, unlock it, and get an AED tune. my wife likes the GT500 axles backs so that's a plus but i have still have cats/resonators. when i get home i'll be going ORX and resonator delete, then i think that will be the perfect sound im looking for.

i liked my Boss intake and with the 3.73s its hard to tell you lose torque, even though its not that much. but since prices have gone up on that, i dont find it to be worth it anymore unless you can find a used one. i also think that the Boss intake is better for N/A than boosted with a centri...just my opinion after talking with Shaun about it.

i like my 3.73 gears, they are a blast to drive N/A but they suck boosted so i'm changing mine out for some 3.31s. again, if you're ok with used, go that route. they arent hard to find between svtp and corral.net, ive seen a few in the past couple weeks.

congrats on the new ride.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:59 AM   #13
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by pohnjarker View Post
ive said this before so i'll say it again...skip the CAI unless you get a screaming deal on a used one and want it for the sound. dyno numbers are meaningless for items like this that could possibly net you 3-5 horses on the dyno. ive seen dyno sheets that have 3 back to back runs and will fluctuate between 5-10 horses just on that. i'd say stick with the stock intake unless you like the look and sound of aftermarket CAIs.

i drank the koolaid a couple years ago when i first got my GT and spent like 700 or so on a brand new SCT tuner with BAMA tunes and JLT carbon fiber CAI. if i had it to do over again, id buy a used tuner, unlock it, and get an AED tune. my wife likes the GT500 axles backs so that's a plus but i have still have cats/resonators. when i get home i'll be going ORX and resonator delete, then i think that will be the perfect sound im looking for.

i liked my Boss intake and with the 3.73s its hard to tell you lose torque, even though its not that much. but since prices have gone up on that, i dont find it to be worth it anymore unless you can find a used one. i also think that the Boss intake is better for N/A than boosted with a centri...just my opinion after talking with Shaun about it.

i like my 3.73 gears, they are a blast to drive N/A but they suck boosted so i'm changing mine out for some 3.31s. again, if you're ok with used, go that route. they arent hard to find between svtp and corral.net, ive seen a few in the past couple weeks.

congrats on the new ride.
First off, thank you for your service. With my dad working at a dealership I get great prices on Ford racing stuff so I will probally go with the 3:73's over the intake and buy a used tuner as I research I keep seeing the samething posted. It sounds like a majoirty of the power is in the tune not the intake.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #14
re-rx7
Banned

In my opinion, I think they are fine for basic bolt-ons. But when more serious power is added later down the road most people end up ditching the 3.73's because they so easily overwhelm the tires and also it's close to banging out on the rev-limiter at the track just short of the traps.

I personally really like my 3.31's for a street car and my car will be boosted at some point.
Whats you best time on bolt ons? Basic bolt on being xpipe, tune, exhaust, intake..
Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 AM   #15
pohnjarker

First off, thank you for your service. With my dad working at a dealership I get great prices on Ford racing stuff so I will probally go with the 3:73's over the intake and buy a used tuner as I research I keep seeing the samething posted. It sounds like a majoirty of the power is in the tune not the intake.
you're welcome. im prior military but im over here as a shady contractor sucking from the govt. teet

the majority of power is in the tune, you're right.