Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
hatchttu

Default Engine click

Does anyone else get this engine tick? It only happens after the car is warmed up. It is noticeable when you are slowly cruising at low rpms like your driving through a parking lot. It sounds like someone typing on an old school typewriter (for the young folks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typewriter ). I have 0 engine mods to the car, just suspension, and axlebacks.

Park Cities ford said it was normal and not a big deal. It makes my car sound like a hooptie when I'm driving through parking lots.

Here is a video of it (hopefully). You can hear it at about 13 seconds

Last edited by hatchttu; 04-17-2014 at 11:58 AM.
hatchttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Noisy injector perhaps?
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
JDMLOL

Is yours a manual car and does it come from the bottom of the passengers side? Mine does it for like the 1k or so after every oil change. Or at least that is when I notice it. It has done that since new. Sounds like the igniter on a gas grill to me. I took it into ford and they did a tsb that never fixed it. Apparently it happens to 5.0 f150s too.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
hatchttu

I don't know, would that sound random? when I count it out it sounds like 1....2345...6 7 8 91011 (closer numbers are faster ticks). Do the injectors get louder under load? It doesn't happen just idling or before the engine is warmed up, when I leave my parking garage in the morning it isn't happening, when I pull into the garage at work it is loud and clear. It almost sounds like something is moving and hitting somethings else.

I am getting a daily driver next weekend so I can afford to not have the car if a dealer needs to keep it. The service guy at Park Cities pretty much dismissed it. He said he had another mustang come in and do the same thing. They tore the engine down and couldn't figure out what it was. I think if it were normal most people would have it.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
hatchttu

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
Is yours a manual car and does it come from the bottom of the passengers side? Mine does it for like the 1k or so after every oil change. Or at least that is when I notice it. It has done that since new. Sounds like the igniter on a gas grill to me. I took it into ford and they did a tsb that never fixed it. Apparently it happens to 5.0 f150s too.
Yes, it's a manual. Mine sounds like it is coming from the bottom of the driver side. I have even wondered if there is a corner of a thin heat shield tapping something but haven't had a chance to put it on a lift and check it out.

Yes! very much like a gas grille ignitor. I have noticed it since before the first oil change. I got my oil changed at 5000 and I am at 7300 and I feel like it has gotten worse since then, louder and more often. It never stops doing it.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
JDMLOL

There seems to be a sweet spot for the tick. For mine it's just above idle. Maybe 1000-1200 rpm?

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
Old 04-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
hatchttu

There seems to be a sweet spot for the tick. For mine it's just above idle. Maybe 1000-1200 rpm?
yep, mine is about the same, maybe up to 1500. I can hear it best just slowly cruising through a parking garage or next to a wall. Some days I can hear it no matter what the surroundings are if I am slowly cruising. That's what I hate about it! it sounds like hooptie at a time anyone you drive past can hear it clearly.

Granted the car doesn't FEEL like anything is wrong, no power loss or anything just that ticking sound. Makes me scared to tune it. I wouldn't want a tune to exacerbate an issue then hurt the engine and have Ford blame the tune.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
JDMLOL

Mines tuned with no issues. Oh well. At this point, the cost to reverse the mods and put it to stock then put them back on would outweigh the out of pocket cost just to overhaul the motor at an independent shop.

The Queen:
Old 04-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Fonzy7189

Mine does that too. Loud exhaust and or stereo fixes all.
Fonzy7189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
Hagen3great

Mine does it as well but more rhythmically and only at idle and low rpm. Louder under load.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
Kaane

The noise is due to issues with the timing tensioners. Here is the latest TSB on the issue.

Take it to a dealer and have them replace them. It can lead to engine failure if not fixed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwywpnc0ax...sb12-03-01.pdf
Kaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
JDMLOL

Default Engine click

Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
The noise is due to issues with the timing tensioners. Here is the latest TSB on the issue.

Take it to a dealer and have them replace them. It can lead to engine failure if not fixed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwywpnc0ax...sb12-03-01.pdf

So what do we do if the dealer will no longer touch our car? The date on the this tsb was released prior to me taking my car in for them to complete the first tsb which was an ac belt and pulley. Never fixed the issue.

Also, mine is a 13'. My build date is way after the ones that were apparently affected.

The Queen:

Last edited by JDMLOL; 04-18-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
Kaane

So what do we do if the dealer will no longer touch our car? The date on the this tsb was released prior to me taking my car in for them to complete the first tsb which was an ac belt and pulley. Never fixed the issue.

Also, mine is a 13'. My build date is way after the ones that were apparently affected.
What kind of tick do you have? Because there is more than one with different causes for each. Is it a ignitor like tick with irregular pattern? or is it consistent and regular?

I'd still have them look at the tensioners if it is ignitor like tick, get a stethoscope and listen around to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
Kaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
JDMLOL

Default Engine click

Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
What kind of tick do you have? Because there is more than one with different causes for each. Is it a ignitor like tick with irregular pattern? or is it consistent and regular?

I'd still have them look at the tensioners if it is ignitor like tick, get a stethoscope and listen around to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Ignitor tick, irregular at idle, from the passenger's side. After warm up and more apparent right after oil changes (I've read where others noticed it more after oil changes as well). I've also read and heard about several people having their f150 or mustang torn completely down and nothing was found. It gets more consistent up until about 1200 rpm then goes away completely. No scratching noise as if the chain is rubbing against the cover or anything.

The Queen:

Last edited by JDMLOL; 04-18-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #15
hatchttu

Yeah, Mine is a 14 so I think the engine build date would disqualify it from the TSB. Mine doesn't happen at idle, it will click (inconsistent ignitor type) a couple times if you give it a gentle blip of the throttle in neutral, but is most noticeable driving under a light load, 1000-1500 rpms. Like when you are driving around a parking garage so the stethoscope would be hard to do. I am picking up my mom's car next weekend so I may drop it at a different dealer and see if they will look at it. Mine is in the video above at the 13 second mark.